E-M5 travel performance Barcelona

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tconelly, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tconelly

tconelly Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hi everyone, this is my first post. Hope this is the correct forum.

I'm posting some photos here but first a few comments on my experience with the E-M5, though I know this may be nothing new for many forum members.

Like many others, I recently purchased the Olympus E-M5, primarily as a travel camera. Previously I've used Canon DSLRs, most recently the 7D, and was getting tired of the large size and heavy weight.

For example last year in the UK I traveled 'light' using the 7D with only the 15-85, 24mm f2.8, and the 70-200 f4 IS. The total weight of this equipment is approximately 2465g. This year with the E-M5 I threw in every lens I had (previously I had the Olympus E-PL2 camera so I had lenses before the purchase of the E-M5). These included the Olympus 9-18, 14-42, 40-150, 45, and the Panasonic 20mm. Total weight of this system was only about 1100g and it fit into a much smaller space.

In terms of performance, I was very satisfied compared to my 7D. Indoor under low light conditions, such as churches or museums, I think the E-M5 was slightly better than the 7D, with less apparent noise at high ISO and consistently more accurate white balance. The only time I missed the 7D was shooting a street demonstration where I missed focus on some shots (or missed a shot all together) when people were moving very quickly. In these circumstances the E-M5 cannot keep up with the 7D and a good lens like the 85 1.8. Nonetheless, I did get most of the shots I tried at the demonstration and focus was generally fast enough (especially with the Olympus 45 1.8) and accurate. The photos of the demonstration are here, if interested: Anti-Gov't Protest Photo Gallery by Tom Conelly at pbase.com.

Concerning the lenses used with the E-M5 I found I preferred to use the longer lenses the most, especially the 45mm 1.8, while I used the 14-42 the least. The breakdown was 45mm 46%, 40-150mm 22%, 9-18mm 17%, 20mm 11%, and the 14-42mm 4%. I'm guessing this will seem like an odd choice by many members of the forum, especially 'street shooters'.

If interested the Barcelona photo galleries are at: Spain 2012 Photo Gallery by Tom Conelly at pbase.com

There's way too many photos in all those galleries so there is a summary in a 'highlights' gallery here: Spain 2012 - Highlights Photo Gallery by Tom Conelly at pbase.com

Regards, Tom Conelly

Here's some examples:

45 1.8 (Entrance to Dali Museum)
    original.

9-18mm (Town of Sitges)
    original.

9-18mm (Gaudi's Familia Sagrada)
    original.

45 1.8 (Barcelona cafe)
    original.

45 1.8 (Barcelona protest demonstration)
    original.

• Like Like x 7
  2. rdearth53

rdearth53 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2012
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    This shot is stunning! Great job on all of them!:bravo-009:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.