1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 travel performance Barcelona

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tconelly, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tconelly

tconelly Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hi everyone, this is my first post. Hope this is the correct forum.

I'm posting some photos here but first a few comments on my experience with the E-M5, though I know this may be nothing new for many forum members.

Like many others, I recently purchased the Olympus E-M5, primarily as a travel camera. Previously I've used Canon DSLRs, most recently the 7D, and was getting tired of the large size and heavy weight.

For example last year in the UK I traveled 'light' using the 7D with only the 15-85, 24mm f2.8, and the 70-200 f4 IS. The total weight of this equipment is approximately 2465g. This year with the E-M5 I threw in every lens I had (previously I had the Olympus E-PL2 camera so I had lenses before the purchase of the E-M5). These included the Olympus 9-18, 14-42, 40-150, 45, and the Panasonic 20mm. Total weight of this system was only about 1100g and it fit into a much smaller space.

In terms of performance, I was very satisfied compared to my 7D. Indoor under low light conditions, such as churches or museums, I think the E-M5 was slightly better than the 7D, with less apparent noise at high ISO and consistently more accurate white balance. The only time I missed the 7D was shooting a street demonstration where I missed focus on some shots (or missed a shot all together) when people were moving very quickly. In these circumstances the E-M5 cannot keep up with the 7D and a good lens like the 85 1.8. Nonetheless, I did get most of the shots I tried at the demonstration and focus was generally fast enough (especially with the Olympus 45 1.8) and accurate. The photos of the demonstration are here, if interested: Anti-Gov't Protest Photo Gallery by Tom Conelly at pbase.com.

Concerning the lenses used with the E-M5 I found I preferred to use the longer lenses the most, especially the 45mm 1.8, while I used the 14-42 the least. The breakdown was 45mm 46%, 40-150mm 22%, 9-18mm 17%, 20mm 11%, and the 14-42mm 4%. I'm guessing this will seem like an odd choice by many members of the forum, especially 'street shooters'.

If interested the Barcelona photo galleries are at: Spain 2012 Photo Gallery by Tom Conelly at pbase.com

There's way too many photos in all those galleries so there is a summary in a 'highlights' gallery here: Spain 2012 - Highlights Photo Gallery by Tom Conelly at pbase.com

Regards, Tom Conelly

Here's some examples:

45 1.8 (Entrance to Dali Museum)
    original.

9-18mm (Town of Sitges)
    original.

9-18mm (Gaudi's Familia Sagrada)
    original.

45 1.8 (Barcelona cafe)
    original.

45 1.8 (Barcelona protest demonstration)
    original.

• Like Like x 7
  2. rdearth53

rdearth53 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2012
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    This shot is stunning! Great job on all of them!:bravo-009: