E-M5 thumb-rest replacement

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Oct 2, 2015.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The thumb-rest (for the right hand) broke in two and came off of my E-M5. Any idea where I might be able to source a replacement? I can use the camera as-is, but it's uncomfortable (there's now a slight indentation where the thumb-rest used to be and my finger rests almost directly on an outward-facing screw). Thanks!

2. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    So there is a screw that holds it in place? I always just thought they were glued on.

This probably wont help much but worse case scenario, if you can't find a suitable replacement would you consider using some kind of filler like this epoxy putty to fill the gap so at least it's not so uncomfortable to hold?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wow, sugru looks awesome. I gotta pick some up!

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks, I'll give Sugru a try. It's silly that a little thing like a thumb rest makes such a difference in feel and handling.

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya the stuff (Sugru) is stupid expensive for what it is, but to your point, even being able to add a tiny bump or ridge in strategic places can make a world of difference in handling, especially since that bump or ridge will be customized to your own hand.

7. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Here's what I did with Sugru and my GM1. Works pretty much flawlessly. Sugru :love:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    pake, nicely textured surface too on that Sugru mod, very pro looking :) 
    I have not used it for a thumb rest mod but for a finger grip and the stuff is indeed really good: sticks well, shapes easily and with a bit of effort can look like a factory job

18221745151_45b5fa8331.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Very nice, thanks for sharing.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FWIW, I ordered the a minimal '3' pack of Sugru and moulded a thumb-grip onto the E-M5 where the factory once used to be. It doesn't look particularly elegant but it feels solid and works well. Thanks again for the tip.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.