1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 thumb-rest replacement

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Oct 2, 2015.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The thumb-rest (for the right hand) broke in two and came off of my E-M5. Any idea where I might be able to source a replacement? I can use the camera as-is, but it's uncomfortable (there's now a slight indentation where the thumb-rest used to be and my finger rests almost directly on an outward-facing screw). Thanks!

2. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    So there is a screw that holds it in place? I always just thought they were glued on.

This probably wont help much but worse case scenario, if you can't find a suitable replacement would you consider using some kind of filler like this epoxy putty to fill the gap so at least it's not so uncomfortable to hold?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wow, sugru looks awesome. I gotta pick some up!

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks, I'll give Sugru a try. It's silly that a little thing like a thumb rest makes such a difference in feel and handling.

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya the stuff (Sugru) is stupid expensive for what it is, but to your point, even being able to add a tiny bump or ridge in strategic places can make a world of difference in handling, especially since that bump or ridge will be customized to your own hand.

7. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Here's what I did with Sugru and my GM1. Works pretty much flawlessly. Sugru :love:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    pake, nicely textured surface too on that Sugru mod, very pro looking :)
    I have not used it for a thumb rest mod but for a finger grip and the stuff is indeed really good: sticks well, shapes easily and with a bit of effort can look like a factory job

18221745151_45b5fa8331.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Very nice, thanks for sharing.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FWIW, I ordered the a minimal '3' pack of Sugru and moulded a thumb-grip onto the E-M5 where the factory once used to be. It doesn't look particularly elegant but it feels solid and works well. Thanks again for the tip.

• Like Like x 1