E-M5 Thoughts from a former 4/3 skeptic

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tonyjuliano, May 14, 2012.

1. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

Well, I have used a Olympus EP-2 in the past and was decidedly unimpressed with Micro 4/3 as a result.

The new E-m5 has changed all that for me.

My quest was for the perfect travel rig, and I evaluated this against the Sony Nex7, Canon G1X anf Fuji X Pro 1 before the OLY won out.

Read all my thoughts on the subject here.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Looks like a good read, and welcome back!

(but then, they always come back :)
  3. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks for sharing this. Aside from the fact that I think you've made the 'right' choice, your writing style is very easy to read and right to the point. I know how challenging it is to say so much in little space.
  4. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Good choice... the OMD is def a game changer for many.
  5. tonyjuliano

Why, thank you for the flattering comments.

It does not come easy, I'll tell you that. I'm afraid I'm not much of a writer, and started my Blog to help me improve that short-coming.
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    so as not to offend.... I am biting my tongue....

7. tonyjuliano

Please don't. I would love to hear any and all opinions on this matter.
  8. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    nothing against your choice on the OM-D... I am getting one myself.

I just have a thing about bad personal webpages, uninspiring photos with big watermarks on them presented on a gallery that is hard to work through, and pithy quotes from name dropped photographers

Oh and anybody who cites IQ as reason for buying/not buying a camera.... IQ is not a definable measurement.

I don't have an issue with someone actively marketing themselves... just make it worth the price of admission.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eyelet

eyelet New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    I find it odd that the reasons you give for having decided to dislike all the :43: cameras had nothing to do with the :43: sensor. Not to mention the fact that there are many other :43: choices other than the one you tried at first.

Anyway, glad you found something you like, thanks for the review.
  10. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    While I do agree that the OM-D might end up being my great travel camera setup and if one is used to DSLR than transition is not hard. But I have been having a hard time with all of the people who complain about the supposed slow AF of the Fuji XPro1 and then talk of the wonder of using legacy glass. The Xpro AF may not be DSLR fast but it is light years faster than any manual focus camera and certainly more than fast enough for what 98% of what most of us shoot. Owning both OM-D and The Fuji XPro, I prefer shooting with the XPro and when one knows how to use the camera, my Fuji can lock focus more accurately than my OM-D. Finally if I was getting something to replace my Contax G2 oufit the Fuji is much, much closer to being the digital iterpertation of that camera than anything else I have used.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    glad to have you back ! :D
  12. tonyjuliano

All good points, but let me explain my rationale more precisely.

First, I absolutely love my Fuji X100 - and its more advanced cousin, the X Pro 1, was an intriguing choice.

With the Fuji, it really came down to the fact that the expense of the newer unit (and the 3 primes which I would HAVE to own, acknowledging my failings for great gear), would force me to get rid of both my Contax gear AND my X100. I tend to use my X100, and legacy glass on 4/3, much in the same manner - zone focusing instead of relying on absolute focus. This is great for some situations, but not for many others. In the end, I wanted to keep the X100 - and continue to enjoy it's many benefits, but add something with faster, more accurate AF.

Also there was the issue with lack of IS on any of the Fuji's. In the end, these 2 factors are mainly what drove my decision.

I completely agree with you about the similarities between the X Pro and the Contax G2, btw. But I was not really looking for a G2 kit replacement, it was just something that I could use to fund the new purchase more easily.
  13. tonyjuliano

Hmmmm, okay...

Sorry I must have offended your personal sensibilities in some way. Please know, that I'm not actively trying to "market" myself to anyone on this board - I certainly am NOT a paid reviewer of any kind (nor do I care to become one).

I just wished to share my thought process for a very difficult decision I had to make. In the end, I hope that someone who is in a similar situation can benefit from my experience in this regard.

For what it is worth...

Oh, never mind, you try to have a nice day - okay?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tonyjuliano

Aah.. Thank you very much. It's nice to breathe some "fresh air" in here.
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unfortunately I think that I've well and truly reached the saturation point of E-M5 reviews, mini-reviews, first impressions, and comparisons, despite owning and loving the camera myself. Hopefully this may be of use to those who may be considering the camera. Good luck with the blog.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Obviously you somewhat irritated my sensibilities... otherwise I wouldn't have posted.

of course you didn't have to listen to anything I said...I am just a curmudgeonly scotsman who's been here for ages...yet you did by changing your sig in a slightly childish way... either believe in the quote or get rid of it.

Fresh air to you is when someone agrees with you... i offered some criticism on the way you presented your images and indeed on your images themselves.

I never implied you were a paid reviewer.... and sorry a gallery that has pictures with watermarks, a splash screen between each pic advertising the site I am looking at and a buy button with a zillion options seems to say to me you are trying to sell your skills/images...just not very well

Thats just my opinion... you are free to do likewise to my images/web presence

Post some pictures here and lets discuss that... Cameras, IQ, Tack sharp are all irrelevant when it comes to the final image

17. tonyjuliano

Let's see, should I drag myself down to your level - nah, don't think so.

Well, I will take this opportunity to clarify a couple of issues, though.

Number one - The quote in my signature IS something I believe in, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with any discussion in this thread (other than the fact that you don't seem to like it). But it'd stupid to discuss this issue, because it only affords you the opportunity to spew some more venom. You don't like it, I get it - but I never asked for your opinion in this regard either.

Second, I have no issue with anyone who disagrees with me. If you had given any constructive criticism to my rationale for for making the purchase choice I did (which is really the only thing this thread is about), than it would have been received gladly and courteously. Please see my earlier reply to the gentleman who questioned my decision to buy the OLY over the Fuji X Pro for evidence of this. He presented valid points, sans vitriol, to the point and on the mark, unlike anything you have had to say.

And lastly, you make reference to a "gallery that has pictures with watermarks, a splash screen between each pic advertising the site I am looking at and a buy button with a zillion options". This is not my personal site, but merely one that I contribute images to. It is a consortium of several photographers that enjoy Street Photography as an art form. The watermarks exist due to copyright infringement that has been pervasive in the past. Some of my work appears there, but much more belongs to others. And again, NOTHING in this thread, nor any other I have made on this site, tries to actively market it it any way shape or form.

It seems that you revel in your self-described image as a "grumpy, old carmudgen of a Scotsman", but I - for one - would describe you using less endearing terminology.
  18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    ah so much fun....

Buying an OMD for your purpose is a complete 'no-brainer' its probably the best camera in its class/price range at the moment... think we would all rather hear/see your actual experience with the camera rather than your justification

funny how we differ on where we believe our levels are.....I know where my level is....

I am a long time contributor on this forum... offering images, discussion and advice and the occasional barbed or sarcastic comments often just to provoke discussion

I can talk gear with the best of you... but i prefer pictures

PS do you wear a hat and smoke a pipe?... thats the image i have of you in my head
  19. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    The Internet..... such a serious business
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MirrorlessMan

MirrorlessMan Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Wow, such hate in here. Are we stooping down to DPreview level in here. I hope not
    • Like Like x 1