1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Tether option?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LVL8hacker, May 9, 2012.

1. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Is there a tether option for the Olympus E-M5? My Niece has a prom party coming up this weekend and she asked me to take pictures for her.

Any help would be wonderful

2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Eye-fi card is the closest thing. Shoot to the ipad or iPhone but you can shoot to a laptop too. Shoot small jpeg + raw sending only the jpegs to your device.

Couple things -
    It could lock up the camera. If it does take the battery out and put it back in. Not sure if you're shooting the OMD + HLD-6 that you'll have to take both batteries out.
    Shooting to the iPad is waaaaay more reliable in my experience.

I got a post coming out tomorrow that talks about some issues I had while on a shoot that I did not have in testing the eye-fi to laptop.

Still working on a good workflow but am almost done. I'll have that workflow online by months end.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If by tethering you mean full camera control via a computer or iPad, no. Olympus needs to make a firmware update to the camera and new software for the computer and iPad. Maybe we
    Will see this in the Pro model.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    That's an interesting point - tethering. Impressively, Canon has included that feature and software for a while already for all its DSLR's. Hope that other manufacturers do that soon. Although I am not holding my breath on that. Bummer.

5. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Thanks guys, It's not a deal breaker, but I can see a whole room full of people over my shoulder while Im trying to work and it just would have been great to have the option to tether to my Macbook Pro so they can see whats going on and not bother me :)