E-M5 takes two pictures with 1 shutter press in H mode?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mxzas, Jul 3, 2014.

1. mxzas

mxzas New to Mu-43

Jul 3, 2014
    When I put the camera in Sequential H mode, each shutter press takes 2 photos, this was not the case for my G5, I was wondering if this is expected behavior?
    Only if I press the shutter button really fast it will take 1 photo in H mode. Also this does not happen in sequential L mode, each shutter is one picture.

Thank you.

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Perfectly normal behaviour. It's happening because H is a faster frame rate than L. (High speed/Low speed). To take just one picture, you'd have to remove your finger in less than 0.1s in H mode, but you have around 0.3s in L mode. (If it's on factory settings).

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Well ya, that's the way it works,

L is the low speed rate, and H is the high speed rate. Look at Menu Gear C at the L & H continuous modes to see the frame rates they are set to. (At least on mine) L is set to 4 frames a second, and H is 9 frames a second...just think how long it takes you to press and release the button normally...if it's longer than 1/9th of a second, it will take more than one shot in H mode. In L mode you'd have to hold the button 1/4 of a second before it takes a second image.

Suggest you reread your manual (if you even looked at it).

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since it can take 9 frames per second in the High Sequential frame rate mode you have to be quick to lift that finger. The L (slow sequential) mode will focus for each frame & that might not be what you want (for some circumstances) & unless you want sequential shots it might be better to use S-AF instead, but on the other hand, a few frames can be the difference between open eyes & a blink with a shot of people (or some other unforeseen blurred movement) & it can save you missing a good photo that could be ruined because of that.

5. mxzas

mxzas New to Mu-43

Jul 3, 2014
    I see, my G5's H mode is 6 fps compared to the 9 fps of the E-M5, which makes up the difference of 1 extra shot with normal shutter press. Thanks.