E-M5 takes two pictures with 1 shutter press in H mode?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mxzas, Jul 3, 2014.

1. mxzas

mxzas New to Mu-43

Jul 3, 2014
    When I put the camera in Sequential H mode, each shutter press takes 2 photos, this was not the case for my G5, I was wondering if this is expected behavior?
    Only if I press the shutter button really fast it will take 1 photo in H mode. Also this does not happen in sequential L mode, each shutter is one picture.

Thank you.

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Perfectly normal behaviour. It's happening because H is a faster frame rate than L. (High speed/Low speed). To take just one picture, you'd have to remove your finger in less than 0.1s in H mode, but you have around 0.3s in L mode. (If it's on factory settings).

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Well ya, that's the way it works,

L is the low speed rate, and H is the high speed rate. Look at Menu Gear C at the L & H continuous modes to see the frame rates they are set to. (At least on mine) L is set to 4 frames a second, and H is 9 frames a second...just think how long it takes you to press and release the button normally...if it's longer than 1/9th of a second, it will take more than one shot in H mode. In L mode you'd have to hold the button 1/4 of a second before it takes a second image.

Suggest you reread your manual (if you even looked at it).

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since it can take 9 frames per second in the High Sequential frame rate mode you have to be quick to lift that finger. The L (slow sequential) mode will focus for each frame & that might not be what you want (for some circumstances) & unless you want sequential shots it might be better to use S-AF instead, but on the other hand, a few frames can be the difference between open eyes & a blink with a shot of people (or some other unforeseen blurred movement) & it can save you missing a good photo that could be ruined because of that.

5. mxzas

mxzas New to Mu-43

Jul 3, 2014
    I see, my G5's H mode is 6 fps compared to the 9 fps of the E-M5, which makes up the difference of 1 extra shot with normal shutter press. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.