E-M5 = Super Happy Photographer

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Phocal, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Up until a year ago I had only ever used Canon when I switched to my first mirrorless the Fuji X-E1. This brought back my love of the old manual focus lenses and it just increased when Fuji finally added focus peaking to the X-E1. I really want to get the E-M1, but that will have to wait until after I get my taxes back. In the meantime I got a really good deal on a E-M5 with the M.Zuiko ED 12-50mm ƒ3.5-6.3 EZ (got them both from a friend who picked up the E-M1 for $500). The zoom is not a bad lens for what it is and the macro function on it should be pretty useful. I really like that it is weather sealed and plan on getting more of the weather sealed lenses. I mostly do wildlife and macro photography (a lot of it from my kayak), so this should be a pretty useful camera for what I like to photograph. Given my love of telephoto manual lenses I am loving the IBIS and the extra freedom it allows over my old Fuji.

The local camera shop did not have any FD adapters so I had to order on and it should arrive sometime this week. They did have a Nikon adapter so I have been playing around with my Lester A. Dine macro lens. I will have to say that shooting manual lenses on the EM5 is such a joy. Even tho it does not have FP, the ability to zoom in with the IBIS active makes focusing pretty fast and easy (way easier then the XE1 with focus peaking, I can only image how easy the EM1 is going to be). Needless to say, I am super excited about getting my FD adapter and seeing what I can accomplish with this wonderful little camera.

Ronnie

2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    One of my favorite features! I use it with some older telephoto primes and absolutely nail the focus.

3. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I've had my E-M5 for 2 months now and couldn't be happier. The only thing the E-M1 offers (that I can think of in my limited knowledge) that I miss is focus peaking. Otherwise, I love my E-M5.

Can't wait to see some pics. :)

4. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Love my E-M5 as well. If you like to do macro work the Olympus 60mm macro is a fantastic lens. It is one of the best macro lenses I have had.

5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Weather is not cooperating here right now. Going to try and get out today even tho it is freezing cold. Currently only have two lenses to use (the lens I got with it and my Lester Dine), so can't wait for my FD adapter to arrive this week. Will give me another 5 lenses to play with.

6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I have heard great things about the macro lens, it is on my list of lenses to acquire. Right now it is lower down then some other lenses as I have a functional adapted macro lens.

7. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Love the EM-5. Classic look with fantastic IQ and almost pocketable! And a huge line-up of affordable lenses too! Can't complain.

8. iso640

iso640 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    DC
    I set-up pseudo focus peaking on mine. http://youtu.be/3ArqBplO8cQ

9. Fred2726

Fred2726 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Fred

Add me to this quote as well! I've spent the last 10 years almost with Pentax dslr's. Very happy with the performance overall, and the option of using some great legacy glass. But not so much inspired by the camera like how the EM-5 inspires me to pick it up and use it!

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I saw that trick, have not set it up yet. So far it seems pretty easy without it. Being able to zoom in and half press to get IBIS to kick in makes focusing pretty easy.

11. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Yes I've been shooting Canon for 2-3 years and then Nikon for another 2 years. Both are fantastic SLRS (5D, D7000) but at the end of the day, this M4/3 gives me the right balance of value and the right compromise.

12. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I'd heard about this trick, but the videos I'd found were not helpful. This one looks like it might be. Thanks so much for sharing!!

13. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I have been using that "focus peaking" setup with my voigtlander 17.5mm lens. Its really useful.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2