1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 successor!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 18, 2013.

1. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Well, that was quite obvious, actually. But as for me 1/8000s, ISO100, EVF are much more important. Also, It`ll be nice to be equipped with wi-fi, new screen & focus peaking like E-P5/E-M1.

2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    huh? Isn't that what the EM1 is supposed to be? I can't imagine buying an EM5 rev 2.0 for the same price as the EM1.

3. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    It probably will be EM1 price minus the grip price so around 1000 to 1100. I just hope it has better build quality than EM5

4. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Gary Ramey, then how about E-P5? It got all the stuff I mentioned for $999 ($279 extra for EVF).
    E-M1 supposed to be durable weathersealed body to be comfortably used both with Top-Pro SLR 4/3 Lenses as well as Premium & PRO m4/3 lenses.

5. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Already? I just purchased E-M1. It better not be as good for less money otherwise I'll be pissed :frown:

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's basically the E-P5 in an E-M5 shell. Note that it does not have PDAF! So E-M1 is still on top.

7. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    I just bought an E-M5, go figure! But then i knew about the rumors of the new one; yet the price i got it for new is pretty sweet and the successor will be more expensive no doubt.

8. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Who gives a crap about PDAF? I don't know anyone who has a lot of 4/3 lenses to advantage of PDAF.

Scribbled on Galaxy Note 3.

9. benjimouse

benjimouse Mu-43 Regular

I give a crap about pdaf, I want to be able to track moving subjects with my m4/3 lenses.

For me the big thing is the evf, if it's the same as the em-1/vf4 I'll jump at the upgrade. Otherwise my monies are going to the Voigtlander 17.5/0.95.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    An EM5 with the processor and software from the EM1? Sounds good to me. A lower price for the current EM5? Sounds good to me.

Same sensor? The EM1 has essentially the same sensor with PD sites added. So no PDAF. I'm OK with that.

Worthwhile upgrade for current EM5 users? Maybe not. But if it's time to add a second body it would be a good choice. The same size and shape, buttons in the same place, same accessories. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Of course folks have all kinds of wants and needs they'd like Olympus to fulfill for them, so let the hand wringing begin.

Fred

11. Mstoeckle

Mstoeckle Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    Invest in glass. Minus the PDAF, (only in the middle of the sensor), most E-M5 users have managed a "work-around" for most of the issues that Oly has refused to issue firmware updates for. Smaller focus point, hacked focus peaking, AA filter, most e-m5 users know it's paper thin at best. I must say after putting my eye to the VF-4....I wish my E-M5 had that. But I know 6 months down the line the $1000 I spent for my lens is worth more than spending $2500 on bodies. Give me an E-M1 with full sensor PDAF, ISO good up to 3200, and it will make me breakfast in the morning, (which probably will be in another year) then I will consider an E-M7, or E-M70 seeing it's billed as an "Entry Level" O-MD! Sorry for the "Blunty" rant but, My view Oly lenses have the market at the moment.

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually judging from all the folks that use their old 4/3 lenses on the E-M1, or are actually purchasing HG and SHG 4/3 lenses now that they have an E-M1, many do care. Also, m4/3 lenses work just as well for PDAF.

13. The danger of purchasing the current E-M1 is that some will have purchased it not because they wanted/needed what it offered but because it was the newest and best Olympus body. The things that I wanted changed about the E-M5 were covered in the E-P5, and if I hadn't bought that camera I would have gone for an E-M5 successor, not the E-M1.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Couldn't have said it better.

Scribbled on Galaxy Note 3.

15. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I think "best" is in the hand of the beholder.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
  17. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    do the em5/em1/ep5/epl5 have the same shutter? i have the epl5, which i understand is the same as the ep5, and imo, its the worst shutter experience ive had since some of my ancient film cameras. loud loud loud and noticeable shock. so im really curious if the em cams are different...

18. No, I believe the E-P5 shutter is different to any Olympus camera that came before it and was the first to boast a 1/8000sec fastest speed, but I'm not sure now if the E-M1 uses a different shutter again or if it is the same one. When I bought the E-P5 I was worried that the shutter would be much louder than the E-M5 which has a wonderfully damped shutter sound. It is louder than the E-M5 but not by a whole lot,

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Exactly. The things I wanted changed in the E-M5 don't seem to have happened in any body (nor are they rumored for the E-M5 successor) so I'll be sitting tight with the E-M5 for some time, it seems.

More broadly, since the E-M1 is their pro body, any lingering annoyances/niggles won't be addressed for at least 3 years. The high-end model has the slowest update cycle.

• Like Like x 1