E-M5 successor to come in September

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dornblaser, Jul 22, 2013.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Boy, I am getting confused with the rumors about the rumored low-end OMD, the hybrid OMD; and, a possible E-M5 successor. It will be interesting to which of the rumors will be true. Is it possible that Olympus will release 3 OMD bodies in September? Will they keep the E-M5? I think that it is still selling well.

Sadly, the rumors for an O12-40 or 12 -60 and 25 lenses have died off.

(FT3) E-M5 successor to come in September! | 43 Rumors

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Hopefully this means people are going to start lining up to sell me their EM5s cheap. ;)

3. stone9400

stone9400 New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2013
    I think they would keep EM5 but release an EMD Pro and a FT E-7. Not sure whether an EM5 Lite makes sense. Just drop EM5 price a little over time.

4. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I can as a retailer confirm that the em5 is discontinued. I phoned the scandinavian oly salesoffice this spring for an stock-update, and they replied they had a limited supply left, with no more coming. As for a new model, I sadly have no more info:(

5. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I bet the sensor is the same image quality wise but it has phase detect sites for better AF speed with legacy 4/3rds glass.

6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    That would be welcome on native glass as well:) i have missed quite a few shots of moving subjects with my em5...

7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Maybe if they come out with another model, we can dispense with calling the E-M5 by the misnomer "the OM-D". If I did that, all my Panasonic cameras would be called "the DMC".

Silly, I know, but bugs me, lol.

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    So much speculation - cheaper OMD version without EVF, no OMD replacement yet but a new Pro spec 4/3rds camera.........who knows, time will tell but Olympus do keep things close to their chest.
    Love my OMD but would love usable AFC - tracking, base ISO of 100 and top shutter speed of 1/8000 or better still 1/12000 and flash sync of 1.500..........living in hope methinks

9. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Lots of folks comment on needing something with better AFC-tracking. I'm not up on all the newest tracking features in cameras, but it seems to me, having come from Canon 1DmkIIn/1DmkIII that any camera without an optical viewfinder seems to be limited in tracking anything moving if the digital view is constantly being obscured by the process of acquiring the images. But perhaps there is a digital camera with EVF that somehow can get around that? If not, I think tracking moving objects with an EVF with high speed shooting would be challenging at best.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nikon 1

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    this thread and rumour is relatively old. I suspect the camera to be released is sept is likely to be the EM1. Newer posts on rumour sites seem to agree with this. We should probably let this thread sink back down to the bottom