E-M5 still has stupid video record limit :(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    So it appears that the E-M5 still has the limitation that recording a single video can only continue to 29 minutes. This is a problem for me, as I like to use the camera unattended on a tripod to record lectures and such. My G2 doesn't have a record limit and will keep on going until the card or battery give out. Seriously, this is pretty much the only on-paper sticking point i have about the M5 -- especially because I really, really want video IBIS. It's ridiculous to still have the 29 minute limitation in this day and age.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    29 continuous minutes of video is a "lifetime" of video.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The 29 minute limit is required in Europe to avoid the steep taxes on video cameras.

Panny incurs the extra expense of having two models, one with and one without. Olympus being a smaller company, and frankly one not so interested in video, probably is not interested in incurring that extra complexity

• Like Like x 3
  4. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great new video camera - Nikon D800 - Movie Maximum recording time - 20 minutes at highest quality - 29 minutes 59 seconds at normal quality

The Canon 5D Mark II is limited to either a four gigabyte file size, or 29 minutes and 59 seconds of elapsed recording time

So I guess Olympus isn't alone. For now - you'll will have to stick with Panasonic for unlimited video recording times - - - but that only works if you don't live in Europe where taxation supposedly imposes the 29min 59sec on a G2 as well.

You have peaked my interest though - I've been totally fine with 29 min and never use anything close to that - - - but now I've been forced into doing some research into the matter just so that I know (if indeed there is na answer) :biggrin::thumbup:

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well, could always get a remote release. It's not ideal, but workable, possibly.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    if you need to record long shots like a lecture or a theatrical ... a dedicated video camera is a better solution.

curiously enough I had to record a theatrical performance recently... as an experiment I recorded with two static HDV camcorders and a GH2... which edited together quite well in Final Cut Pro X... definitely not hollywood movies standard...screwed up on the focus on one camera....but for personal reasons it was a worthwhile exercise

https://vimeo.com/36189275

the opening sequences were created in Motion... Apples motion graphics app

cheers

K

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The time limit is not the only thing that limits the video in the new camera. It will not do progressive and no 24fps at all. Obviously Olympus is not trying for the backyard cinematographers. On the plus side they did switch from AVCHD to MOV which is a friendlier format for the average user.

Yes the time limit is due to taxing in Europe and some other places that would then call it a "video camera".

For shooting a lecture I would get a good camcorder. First there is no time limit and second you can get extra long running batteries. Also the audio tends to be better in a camcorder than a stills camera that shoots video{better mics and better mic placement}.

• Like Like x 1
  8. elduderino

elduderino Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    To be honest, you shouldn't be recording 29 min at a clip anyway. Hell, even movie movies are recorded in short bursts.

Someone posted a music video made with it, and it looked pretty damn good.

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    This is the correct answer. Canon stated that the penalty works out to be 30%. For that, you can easily purchase a camcorder, which is the much better choice for long videos like a lecture, especially since battery life will be an issue at longer record times. I have the GH1 and GH2, but I still keep my 5 yr old camcorder for those reasons.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

WOW.. just WOW... that seems like a really strange tax.... Is there such a tax in the US markets?

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think there is any special tax on video cameras here. I know there are some Asian countries that have similar taxes to Europe. Several Asian posters on video forums have complained about it.

I know the world has gone nuts over the HDSLR video craze but for most purposes a camcorder is a far better choice for video. The advantages of using a DSLR or a m43 camera for video is the dual purpose ability and of coarse the wonderful lenses. If you want one product that does both stills and video , a m43 or DSLR works best. Sure most camcorders can take stills but they suck at it!

12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Promit, the easiest solution would be to just keep another model around. The G2, GF2, or GF3 would be the most likely choices if you want to preserve lens compatibility. Otherwise, pick up a small HD camera. You're wanting to use the E-M5 in a historian/recorder role; this is a utilitarian role that Olympus didn't deem necessary to plan in to their product. Ferrari didn't design cupholders into their various cars either; if those are the important criteria for a buyer, then they assume the potential consumer wouldn't be considering their product anyway. Use a tabletop or small tripod and you don't need video IS during hour-long recordings; in fact, you turn off IS when on a tripod.

If you're doing video production, then the smart move is to run minimum 3 cameras so that you don't have any downtime; you have to worry about switching cards and batteries too, and will anyways want multiple angles.

Obviously not, since as stated above, the Panasonic cameras in the USA don't have any kind of recording limit.

13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The video of the newer Panasonic consumer camcorders that shoot 1080p is so sharp and detailed that you can take a screen shot of any frame of the footage and it will come out looking almost like it was taken by a still camera. See example below:
    tm900screen.

14. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I think my longest clip ever has only been about 30 sec. But i can also see a need for long recording times.
    The files would be huge though