E-M5 spot on sensor

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kmpod, Mar 8, 2013.

1. kmpod

kmpod Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    To my dismay I've noticed that a spot has appeared on my sensor.

I know that self cleaning the E-M5 is a no no, so I'll have to take it in.

I'm wondering if anyone near Toronto has had experience with getting their sensor cleaned. How long was your camera gone? And, more importantly, did it come back in good condition?

Thanks, Kathy
  2. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    What's the spot look like?

Mike, also in Toronto

p.s. Ever been on http:/www.tpmg.ca Toronto Photography Meetup Group? At least once a year (in the warmer months) there's a social for Olympus 4/3 & m4/3 users, so we can try out each other's more obscure lenses and talk shop. There's also other (non-Olympus) outings there.
  4. kmpod

kmpod Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    Thanks for your replies.

The spot was a round grey semi-transparent spot close to the upper edge of the frame.

You will note that I said "was". I took some advice that recommended the powering the camera on and off several times; and, thankfully, it worked. No more spot. (I also followed up with the pixel mapping.)

Thanks, Mike, for the mention of the Toronto Photography Meetup Group. It would be fun to get together with other m4/3 users to trade tips and tales. To our great puzzlement all of the members of a photography study group that my husband and I belong to are totally resistant to m4/3 in spite of seeing the quality of the photographs from our OMD's.

We bought our OMD's to have a lighter travel kit but we find ourselves using them almost exclusively now. His Canon 5DII and my Nikon D300 are gathering dust, although we haven't come around to the idea of selling them yet.