1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 + small focus boxes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dav1dz, Feb 3, 2014.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Do you use it all the time now that firmware 2.0 has enabled it? I tried it a bit over the weekend and it seems a bit slower? Perhaps I was just seeing things?

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I've done some (very) limited testing using only the 20mm Panasonic f/1.7 lens and I've not noticed any sluggishness. What lens(es) have you tried?

Regards,

Jim

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I've only had the opporunity with 45/1.8 right now. A tried and true lens that normally focuses fairly fast.

It could be poor lighting too...

More importantly. To the people that have had the smaller focus boxes for a while: E-M1, E-P5 owners, etc. Do you leave the small focus boxes on frequently?

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I leave my E-M5 on small permanently now. If anything, it seems more responsive than before.

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Large focus box on EM5 was my single biggest complaint, and it really, really annoyed me. Far too often it would focus on some background element instead of what I wanted the camera to focus on. My EM5 will stay permanently in small focus box mode. I haven't noticed any difference in speed.

My EM1 has even slightly smaller focus boxes, and that stays on small focus mode absolutely always as well. I'm used to DSLRs where the focus point is extremely small and accurate.

6. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    I haven't noticed slowness either however there is a quirk. I set my F1 button to the home/middle position and notice every time I press it it returns to the home position however the box defaults back to the bigger focus box. Pretty much makes the home button shortcut useless. Hope olympus fixes this issue

7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    This thread answers that one https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=59251&page=7&p=589853#post589853

with great thanks to Yohan Pamudji !

Regards,

Jim

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'd expect it to have more troubles in certain situations, since there's less of a chance of it hitting something with enough contrast to "grab" onto...I'll check it out the next time I'm shooting.

9. integra13

integra13 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2013
    Hi guys, has anyone had troubles setting the small focus box on? I have set it on the menu but when I go and have a look it is still the normal size, could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??? Thanks everyone

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. integra13

integra13 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2013
    Just figured it out, all good now guys

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Have noticed the same. What is the answer to this. Thanks

12. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    When selecting AF point press info and you'll have the option to change it, then press ok.

13. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
  14. deveaushawn

deveaushawn Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014
    I just noticed that if I'm using the 'small focus squares' and engage the digital tele-converter I lose the 'small focus squares'. I wonder if that is an oversight or if it is by design?

15. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    I have mine set to small AF points permanently. Small AF point can cause slower AF in certain situations because it has less area to look for contrast than a big AF point. The flipside is that when it locks focus it's much more likely to have focused on the right thing as long as you aim it correctly, whereas big AF points are more likely to miss the target due to covering a larger area. This is particularly noticeable when shooting shallow DOF shots. I used to get a large number of almost in-focus shots of faces, but now I get a lot more eyes properly in focus because of the precision of the small AF points.

Jim, you need to stop crediting me. If my head swells anymore it'll explode!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yohan, I have to give you credit.

I don't have any cash...:biggrin:.

Best Regards,

Jim

17. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I think its faster especially when shooting with a telephoto lens.

18. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    How do I keep the small focus point on the touch screen? When I set it into the s (small focus point mode) as soon as I touch the screen it goes back to the large one. stays small if using the arrows to move it around. Also have my record button set to make it small (had this set before) but it only makes it the old size. On the screen if you want to change the focus box size on the x slide it still only goes up to x14 and no further. Hmmmmm

Can someone help me with this. Much appreciated.

19. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    It's not very intuitive. When you touch the screen that's actually a completely different AF point selection system than when you move the small AF point around with the directional buttons. As far as I know there's no way to select the "proper" small AF points by touching the screen.

20. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    How can I assign it to the REC button then. This is how I did it before as the smallest focus point before wasnn't native either. Even though I have said that the (…) is to the be smallest focus point, it doesn't change to that when I push REC as programmed. Grrrrrr