1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Shutter Delay

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hydro, Jul 7, 2012.

1. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Have had my E-M5 a little over a week now and still trying to learn the system. A question for those of you more experienced and familiar with it... Compared to my Nikon D7000 - and any other camera I've owned - there is a rather lengthy delay after I press the shutter button and when the exposure actually occurs. During that time a lot of movement on the part of my subject, such as my grandson, can occur. Is this normal? Like many features of this camera, can this be reprogrammed to operate faster?

2. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

You have the shutter delay/self timer set to 2 seconds?

Steve

3. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    I didn't set it at all, to my knowledge. But then, this system is a bit confusing to me and I might have done it unwittingly. Do you know how I could check this?

4. Shutter response should be virtually instantaneous. Some older Olympics models would have greater shutter lag when the histogram was turned on but this no longer seems to be the case. Maybe your anti-shock setting is on. Menu -> gears -> e -> anti-shock -> off

It could also be that your drive mode is set to a timed delay. Check this through the super control panel

5. kevitra

kevitra Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012
    I own a d7000 and omd and they are almost equal. E only annoying delay I experienced was the photo preview in the viewfinder after taking a photo. I have turned that off in the menu.

6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I've read that the E-M5 has a fully mechanical shutter (vs some LiveView cameras with an electronic first curtain). So you press the release and the shutter has to close, then open, then close, then open again.

Most DSLRs can leave the shutter closed. (some exceptions, such as the Nikon D70 which had an electronic shutter when fired quicker than a certain speed, leading some people to love the camera for its fast flash sync and some people hate the camera for its fake shutter).

Many Sony LV cameras have an electronic first curtain shutter, so they "fake it", but only in part.

Tomorrow's cameras might not have a mechanical shutter at all. Who knows?

It is all an engineering tradeoff. I personally don't notice the shutter lag.

7. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Lucky, that wasn't it. But I haven't been able to activate the super control panel either. This camera makes me feel electronically-challenged!

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's a setting that allows the shutter to operate when focus isn't locked. I think that's off by default. If you're using auto focus and for some reason the focus hasn't locked on, you will run into a delay while the focus locks if you've got that setting set to not allow shutter operation when the lens has not yet focussed. I occasionally run into that problem in low light/low contrast situations.

It's a handy setting because it stops you getting out of focus shots but it can certainly leave you wondering what's going on if you're not aware of the setting and focus hasn't occurred.

Next time it happens, check to see if you've got the green dot focus indication.

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Gears Menu D > Control Settings > PASM (or whichever mode you use) > Live SCP > On (and maybe switch Live Control Off).

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Betting this ^^^ is the answer!

11. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    jnewell,

I do have the green dot in the upper right corner. Do you know how to set it as you suggested? I've tried everything and can't figure it out.

Thanks!

12. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    What lens are you using? Some lenses are faster than others. For example, the 45mm 1.8 flies while the 20mm can be really slow.

I have a 60d, and I would say that the EM5 is just as quick as it (with an newish Olympus lens).

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    This sounds like it's the answer... but to the OP, what exactly is "lengthy delay"? I've found this to be extremely subjective sometimes, heh. Personally, I do notice the difference on my G3, but on the E-M5, it seems to be a little better.

If the delay is a second or longer, then it's more likely the AF delay David A mentioned. And if that is indeed it, if you turn it off, you might end up with a different problem of blurry photos.

14. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    Since the E-M5 can shoot 11 frames a second, I doubt the fact the shutter is mechanical is the problem.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The setting is under "Gears" / C Release / Rls Priority S and Rls Priority C

Quoting DavidA's post again below for the explanation of the setting:

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It doesn't achieve this while focusing between each shot though. Aside from that, my point was more to the fact it has to close the shutter then open it for the exposure. It's fast, but I still notice it. I, however, would not characterize it as "lengthy" but I've come across folks who would. Hence asking the OP to clarify.

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If he's getting the green focus confirm dot, I doubt AF lock is the problem, and even if it is I don't think setting to camera so it takes a bunch of out-of-focus pictures is the answer.

To the OP, do you possibly have the anti-shock setting turned on? This causes a delay between pressing the button and the shutter firing to minimize camera shake from jabbing the shutter button.

18. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    Turn off the IS. I think this happens with one of my lenses, not sure which one but the 12-50 works fine either on or off

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Took me a while to figure this out "SCP" = Super Control Panel

I has taken me a long time of daily playing around with the thing to get the camera to behave in a fashion I deem desirable. Then I bought another OM-D and it took days of additional learning to get them identically set-up. Organic Chem was easier.

The moral of this story is to keep at it, keep chipping away at that learning curve.

G

20. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I have yet to solve this problem. There is a 2 to 2.5 second shutter delay/lag. I will call Adorama, and if they can't help me will try to contact Olympus.