E-M5 setup questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dch, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Hi,
    i finally got my new E-M5 yesterday; so far i'm liking it.
    I've been reading a lot on the configuration of it in the last few days and i'm in the process of getting it set to my liking, but some smaller things i can't really find answers for.

- If i disable the VF sensor, to have the LCD normally OFF, i get two side effects: VF only shows 'Style 3' image (full screen) and i can't get the 'blinkies', the orange blown highlights and blue blocked shadows. The former i can live with, but i would really like to get the exposure warning colors on. Any way to have the LCD off and the warning colors in the VF?

- I did the Fn2 magnify 'trick' to get smaller AF box; again, when smaller box is engaged, no exposure warning colors... Any way around that?

- I like to activate AF with my thumb, not on the shutter button; been doing that on every AF camera i had: with the E-M5 i have it activated by Fn1, but it is awkward - any alternative and more confortable way to separate AF from the shutter button?

I can say it is indeed true that the menu is hard to use, but i hope i will have it configured soon to my liking and forget about it!
    Thanks for all the help on this,
    Daniele.

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia

1. try pressing 'info' to cycle between the various displays.
    2. nope, when you magnify, you lose the highlight/shadows alert. This one of the downsides of the EM5.
    3. do you mean back button focus? I don't use this method, someone else might chime in, but as far as I am aware this is another downside of the EM5 (small and hard to press back button).

3. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Thanks for the answer.

1. If i press info, i only cycle through different screens, with level, icons, live histogram etc.; but no exposure warning colors...
    2. Ok, i can live with it...
    3. Yes, back button focus, and i see Fn1 is the only one to do it; was wondering if there is another method used to separate AF from the shutter button that can work better.

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    1. Seems to work okay for me. Do you have highlight/shadow alert enable?
    settings->D->info settings-> LV-info -> highlight&shadow-> On

5. Sumo

Sumo Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    You might need to make sure exposure warning is one of the enabled screens. Look under Menu > Custom Menu > D > Info Settings (4th option down) > LV-Info. Here you can enable/disable the various screens that you can cycle through using the INFO button. Make sure "Highlight&Shadow" is set to "On".

For what it's worth, I use the VF with Style 3, and the exposure warning overlay works perfectly. So it's possible, but the Olympus menu system doesn't make things easy.

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I have Fn2 assigned for AF. It's not as clean as using a back button with your thumb, but I can roll my forefinger back and forth between it and the shutter well enough. I agree that Fn1 is really hard to thumb.

7. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Indeed it works; yet not with the image only: it only works with settings always in the image. Good enough, i suppose. BTW, you have to activate this feature in a menu for the 'display' and not for the viewfinder!

I switched Fn1 to magnify and Fn2 to AF; i'll see if it feels better in use.

Thanks for the help; i'm sure in the next few days i'll find a thing or two more to ask about :)

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I tried that two, but just couldn't rewire my brain to do it naturally so went back to the too-tiny-and-obstructed-by-the-screen fn1 button. I keep meaning to work out some fixing over these two back buttons to make them larger and protrude past the screen bezel.

Sometimes I look longingly at the E-M1 just to resolve this issue! Damned expensive fix though.

9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Let us know if you do something which works.

10. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Here is what i did for the G3: the button on the back for AF is basically flush with the body (slightly recessed, actually), making it almost useless. I sticked a 'bead' or whatever those plastic pearls are called. I thought it would fall off but in two years it never did; works great.
    For the Fn1 button on the E-M5 though i think it won't work (and it's really ugly too)...

11433063375_0631564c43_z.