E-M5 setup questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dch, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Hi,
    i finally got my new E-M5 yesterday; so far i'm liking it.
    I've been reading a lot on the configuration of it in the last few days and i'm in the process of getting it set to my liking, but some smaller things i can't really find answers for.

- If i disable the VF sensor, to have the LCD normally OFF, i get two side effects: VF only shows 'Style 3' image (full screen) and i can't get the 'blinkies', the orange blown highlights and blue blocked shadows. The former i can live with, but i would really like to get the exposure warning colors on. Any way to have the LCD off and the warning colors in the VF?

- I did the Fn2 magnify 'trick' to get smaller AF box; again, when smaller box is engaged, no exposure warning colors... Any way around that?

- I like to activate AF with my thumb, not on the shutter button; been doing that on every AF camera i had: with the E-M5 i have it activated by Fn1, but it is awkward - any alternative and more confortable way to separate AF from the shutter button?

I can say it is indeed true that the menu is hard to use, but i hope i will have it configured soon to my liking and forget about it!
    Thanks for all the help on this,
    Daniele.

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia

1. try pressing 'info' to cycle between the various displays.
    2. nope, when you magnify, you lose the highlight/shadows alert. This one of the downsides of the EM5.
    3. do you mean back button focus? I don't use this method, someone else might chime in, but as far as I am aware this is another downside of the EM5 (small and hard to press back button).

3. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Thanks for the answer.

1. If i press info, i only cycle through different screens, with level, icons, live histogram etc.; but no exposure warning colors...
    2. Ok, i can live with it...
    3. Yes, back button focus, and i see Fn1 is the only one to do it; was wondering if there is another method used to separate AF from the shutter button that can work better.

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    1. Seems to work okay for me. Do you have highlight/shadow alert enable?
    settings->D->info settings-> LV-info -> highlight&shadow-> On

5. Sumo

Sumo Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    You might need to make sure exposure warning is one of the enabled screens. Look under Menu > Custom Menu > D > Info Settings (4th option down) > LV-Info. Here you can enable/disable the various screens that you can cycle through using the INFO button. Make sure "Highlight&Shadow" is set to "On".

For what it's worth, I use the VF with Style 3, and the exposure warning overlay works perfectly. So it's possible, but the Olympus menu system doesn't make things easy.

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    I have Fn2 assigned for AF. It's not as clean as using a back button with your thumb, but I can roll my forefinger back and forth between it and the shutter well enough. I agree that Fn1 is really hard to thumb.

7. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Indeed it works; yet not with the image only: it only works with settings always in the image. Good enough, i suppose. BTW, you have to activate this feature in a menu for the 'display' and not for the viewfinder!

I switched Fn1 to magnify and Fn2 to AF; i'll see if it feels better in use.

Thanks for the help; i'm sure in the next few days i'll find a thing or two more to ask about :)

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I tried that two, but just couldn't rewire my brain to do it naturally so went back to the too-tiny-and-obstructed-by-the-screen fn1 button. I keep meaning to work out some fixing over these two back buttons to make them larger and protrude past the screen bezel.

Sometimes I look longingly at the E-M1 just to resolve this issue! Damned expensive fix though.

9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    Let us know if you do something which works.

10. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Here is what i did for the G3: the button on the back for AF is basically flush with the body (slightly recessed, actually), making it almost useless. I sticked a 'bead' or whatever those plastic pearls are called. I thought it would fall off but in two years it never did; works great.
    For the Fn1 button on the E-M5 though i think it won't work (and it's really ugly too)...

11433063375_0631564c43_z.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.