E-M5: Sequential Shooting Question (Not Bracketing)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Sep 15, 2012.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    If the skies cooperate tonite, I want to experiment with some astrophotography by shooting a few hundred images at the same settings within a relatively short time frame. (This is for processing later using Deep Sky Stacker....)

I want to shoot the same image 400 times at a set exposure setting. How is the best way to do this on the E-M5 if I'm NOT bracketing exposure in any way? My shooting settings will be ISO3200, f/4, 1.5 seconds for each shot and I was hoping that there's a way to do this other than pressing the shutter button 400 times. (Such as - perhaps there'a setting to shoot 10 images automatically with one shutter button press, and I could activate this 40 times?)

Any help with doing this would be appreciated. If there's a way to do this, please be as specific as possible with your explanation.

Thanks!

2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    If you're just trying to avoid having to press the shutter 400 times, then a remote cable release that you can lock open is probably your best bet. Not sure I can think of anything else off the top of my head.

3. What you need is called an intervalometer.

I believe there is one for the E-M5

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Source: E-M5 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I was already to respond that you could just use the interval setting. But from what I am reading here I guess the E-M5 doesn't have one! I didn't bother to look, I just assumed that every camera these days had one. All of my various Nikons have it, so I figured other decent brands would have it as well. Oh well, that gives me another argument for taking the V1 along on a near future trip we are taking.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I can't see how having a built-in intervalometer relates to a "decent" brand, but neither Canons have it, and in fact I cannot remember a brand (other than Nikon) having it as a built-in function (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, which it's highly probable).

A $20 external controller isn't that much of an expense, I suppose, especially for a function that is of immediate interest to perhaps 3% of photographers.

8. hahaha...

V1? I assumed that every nikon had a decent sensor too... guess I was wrong.

Its easy to throw mud at things that you only see. I personally could care less about an intervalometer.. heck.. I'm not big on auto anything. I am however big on optics... I can't stand the controls of a Nikon but it doesn't mean I throw off hand remarks at everyone I see being used. Especially from others that truly have an interest in photography and not the camera.

9. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Yes - Intervalometer is the word that I was looking for. My Nikon D300 has one built-in, but apparently the E-M5 doesn't. :frown: (Too bad - It's got so many other useful features that the D300 doesn't.)

I ended up just pressing the shutter a couple of hundred times. Tedious - to say the least. Next time I guess that I'll just use my D300 for this sort of thing.

Thanks!

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Without an intervalometer, the 'anti-shock' can be set for the time gap & if no remote trigger is available, then an elastic band over the shutter button (for continuous sequential shooting) will work just fine. A bit of caluculation & a wrist watch will allow some sort of control for the number of frames needed.

11. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I guess the part that I'm still missing is how to activate "continuous sequential shooting" on the E-M5? (I know where to set the "anti-shock" setting.)

Thanks.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can highlight the function in the Super Control Panel (by touching the selection, using the rear wheel or the 4 way arrow keys) & rotate the front wheel to change the values. There will be the normal series of drive modes followed by the same set (in reverse order) with a diamond symbol beside each & that is with the 'anti shock' (or delayed shutter) active.

To make it continuous, use the RM-UC1 Remote Control Cable (can be a cheap copy off ebay) & it has a press & lock function on it or do it the extra cheap way by putting an elastic band over the shutter button (around the body vertically) to hold it down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.