1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5: Sequential Shooting Question (Not Bracketing)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Sep 15, 2012.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    If the skies cooperate tonite, I want to experiment with some astrophotography by shooting a few hundred images at the same settings within a relatively short time frame. (This is for processing later using Deep Sky Stacker....)

I want to shoot the same image 400 times at a set exposure setting. How is the best way to do this on the E-M5 if I'm NOT bracketing exposure in any way? My shooting settings will be ISO3200, f/4, 1.5 seconds for each shot and I was hoping that there's a way to do this other than pressing the shutter button 400 times. (Such as - perhaps there'a setting to shoot 10 images automatically with one shutter button press, and I could activate this 40 times?)

Any help with doing this would be appreciated. If there's a way to do this, please be as specific as possible with your explanation.

Thanks!

2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    If you're just trying to avoid having to press the shutter 400 times, then a remote cable release that you can lock open is probably your best bet. Not sure I can think of anything else off the top of my head.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What you need is called an intervalometer.

I believe there is one for the E-M5

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Source: E-M5 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I was already to respond that you could just use the interval setting. But from what I am reading here I guess the E-M5 doesn't have one! I didn't bother to look, I just assumed that every camera these days had one. All of my various Nikons have it, so I figured other decent brands would have it as well. Oh well, that gives me another argument for taking the V1 along on a near future trip we are taking.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I can't see how having a built-in intervalometer relates to a "decent" brand, but neither Canons have it, and in fact I cannot remember a brand (other than Nikon) having it as a built-in function (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, which it's highly probable).

A $20 external controller isn't that much of an expense, I suppose, especially for a function that is of immediate interest to perhaps 3% of photographers.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

hahaha...

V1? I assumed that every nikon had a decent sensor too... guess I was wrong.

Its easy to throw mud at things that you only see. I personally could care less about an intervalometer.. heck.. I'm not big on auto anything. I am however big on optics... I can't stand the controls of a Nikon but it doesn't mean I throw off hand remarks at everyone I see being used. Especially from others that truly have an interest in photography and not the camera.

9. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Yes - Intervalometer is the word that I was looking for. My Nikon D300 has one built-in, but apparently the E-M5 doesn't. :frown: (Too bad - It's got so many other useful features that the D300 doesn't.)

I ended up just pressing the shutter a couple of hundred times. Tedious - to say the least. Next time I guess that I'll just use my D300 for this sort of thing.

Thanks!

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Without an intervalometer, the 'anti-shock' can be set for the time gap & if no remote trigger is available, then an elastic band over the shutter button (for continuous sequential shooting) will work just fine. A bit of caluculation & a wrist watch will allow some sort of control for the number of frames needed.

11. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I guess the part that I'm still missing is how to activate "continuous sequential shooting" on the E-M5? (I know where to set the "anti-shock" setting.)

Thanks.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can highlight the function in the Super Control Panel (by touching the selection, using the rear wheel or the 4 way arrow keys) & rotate the front wheel to change the values. There will be the normal series of drive modes followed by the same set (in reverse order) with a diamond symbol beside each & that is with the 'anti shock' (or delayed shutter) active.

To make it continuous, use the RM-UC1 Remote Control Cable (can be a cheap copy off ebay) & it has a press & lock function on it or do it the extra cheap way by putting an elastic band over the shutter button (around the body vertically) to hold it down.