1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Sensor shift video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 9, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Some of you may have already seen this, but here's the new sensor shift in action.

[ame="http://www.viddler.com/v/1a4cefde"]"Olympus OM-D E-M5 Five-Axis Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization Hands-On" - Videos - Viddler@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.viddler.com/player/1a4cefde@@AMEPARAM@@1a4cefde[/ame]

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thats a cool video. But looking at how far the sensor can move, one would have to wonder if the sensor would get too far outside the center or sweet spot of the lens.

4. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

So... no more "jelly-like" video on this new Olympus camera? It's the one thing that makes me hesitate on getting Olympus. I'm no videographer but I do occasionally video my kids' school programs and the like, and I would still like steady videos from my camera. :)

5. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    The sensor shifts to stay centered, methinks, it's the camera that moves.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Jelly-like video has more to do w/ the rolling shutter I thought? would this somehow help that?

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Linh -- it's a good question.

"Jello" or "Jelly" video was first used to mean the rolling shutter effect of CMOS chips for video. This new IS will not help with that, but in general, many manufacturers have been getting better at reducing that effect.

But, Oly has NOT in the past used mechanical IS for video stabilization, but rather software-based IS, where a portion of the image is cropped, and software algorithms try to smooth out camera shake. This has resulted in INCREASED jelly-like effect, especially noticeable in the EPM1. I didn't notice it as much in my EP1 or EPL2, but it is pretty evident in the EPM1. Not sure of the EPL3 or EP3.

At any rate, this new mechanical, sensor-IS is claimed to eliminate this second effect, but it, of itself, cannot reduced CMOS/rolling-shutter based jello. We'll have to see if Oly has managed to reduce that, too.

8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    That's cool. It's really interesting to see what goes on inside the camera, I had no idea the sensor moves that much.

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Looks like the same old sensor to me! :rofl::rofl: