E-M5 Sensor/IBIS startup sound

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Feb 11, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I haven't used my EM5 in a few months, today I noticed a weird chirping or scratching noise immediately following the normal startup sound when turning it on. I don't remember this noise from before so I'm wondering if it's something to be concerned about.
    It doesn't seem to have affected the normal operation of the camera, I fired off a few single shots as well as in burst mode without issue, IBIS also seems fine it's just the weird noise on startup that I'm pretty sure it didn't make before.

I'm sure it's just a minor thing and I'll be trying it out when I go to the flower markets later for more tests, but any input from other users would be helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Anyone? Could I get some Em5 users to comment on this and the startup sound you guys hear when starting up your own Em5 if you hear the same noise.

3. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    only time i ever had any odd noises is when i have the pana 25 on the EM5. is it with one lens or all lenses?

4. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    It does seem odd but it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong, just a bit extra after the sensor sets up and I'm not sure if it's necessarily indicative of anything.
    I used it yesterday with my 12-50 and 14mm and both times it made the sound, it also made the sound without any lens attached. I've been trying to check the reviews online but none I've watched have a clear sound of the startup. Maybe I'll record it and put up a link if I can figure out how.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I get a very soft chirp when my EM5 powers up. It's probably the sound made by the sensor assembly coming up out of its parked position. There are no other sounds afterward.

6. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Does it come after the startup sound of the sensor setting up? I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the other issue about black frames on the other topic you responded to. I've been trying to hear the noise on youtube videos of reviews but they're not loud enough and I'll be taking it to the service center because of the other problem anyway, so I guess I'll be able to find out then.