E-M5 replacement battery

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dch, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Sorry if it has been discussed before, but searching the forum i could not find any info.
    Next week i should receive my new E-M5; i was wondering what's the best alternative to the expensive Oly battery for an extra one or two. I've seen many on ebay but would like some first hand and up to date advice on the ones that really work.
  2. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2013
    In the country, 60km north of Toronto ON CA
    Ron Evers
    I use DSTE brand in both E-M5 & E-PM1 cameras & am pleased with the performance. They do not last quite as long as an Oly but two batteries & a charger for $25 I cannot complain.
  3. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Unfortunately, DSTE seems to be a brand for the USA market; anyone in the EU? Nowadays it's getting more and more expensive to get stuff overseas...
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Dch, just check eBay. Free shipping from China, with charger. I'd go for chipped batteries these days. I can't remember the brand on the ones I got (the most commonly sold one, look the same as the DSTE ones anyway), free shipping, 2 batteries and a charger for about 20 euros, shipped.
  5. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
  6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    I tried Hähnel. Twice. First one didn't charge at all, the second one charged a couple of times and then decided to give up. I now have two batteries and they're both Olympus.
  7. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    You get what you pay for !! Buy the Olympus battery.
  8. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Yes, only saving $25 or so is not worth it. Ask yourself, would you buy a cheap car battery or one with warranty and no known issues?
  9. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    For the record, I've never had problems with third party batteries for any if my cameras. And we're talking the difference between 60-65 dollars for a single battery vs 30 bucks for 3 batteries with a travel charger. Big difference, and battery life isn't fantastic for mirrorless. I like to have at least three batteries for any given camera, except for my 5DII, which I'm fine with a single backup for (because it will shoot 5x as many frames as my E-M1).
  10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I only use Olympus batteries...I don't understand buying a $1000 camera and then skimping on cheap batteries which may swell inside the camera (there has been cases of people on DPR who have gotten third party batteries stuck inside cameras, or swelled while charging.
  11. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    A couple of comments: the point of the thread was to find out IF there are cheaper alternatives to the original battery THAT WORK.
    I already saw there are a ton on ebay and elsewhere, so i was asking for firsthand experience on a specific source that worked fine.
    There seem to be some that work and some that can give trouble, so i did not want to find out the hard way by myself.
    By the way, i paid 500 euro for the E-M5 and it is the very first camera i buy new! Before i got a D30, 10D, 5D, GF1 and a G3: all bought used, all 'old' hence cheap(er). Never had problems and usually resold one before getting the other.
    It's not to be cheap; i just can't spend more on my hobby.
  12. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    You should see my car! :smile:
  13. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    The Progo batteries work great and they do display the battery meter on both the e-m5 and e-m1. I prefer the compact Progo charger to the olly one as well.
  14. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Unfortunately, progo also seem to be 'exclusive' to the US market, so no luck for me...
  15. SFW

SFW Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Calgary, Canada
    Stephen F. Winsor
    I have two genuine Olympus batteries for my E-M5. My wife has an extra Power2000 brand battery for her E-PM1 and it has worked just as well as the original battery in both the camera and charger for the past 1.5 years.
  16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    For my EM5, I bought two battery pairs off ebay and a single EZO-power from amazon. The latter failed after a few months, and the seller ignored my email.I tossed it.

The ebay versions work fine. One set happened to be Progo brand and will charge in the OEM charger, but work better in their own.

For the record, I've had ebay batteries for my EPL1 swell up and get stuck too. I recycled them.
  17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Did the Wasabi brand fall out of favor? I had always seemingly heard good things about them.
  18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't know about Wasabi specifically but a) you don't get an accurate capacity warning and b) due to a superior battery chemistry on the OEM batteries, all after market batteries actually give only about 70% of the energy of the OEM (despite what is advertised).
  19. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I find a) to be an issue even with the OEM batteries (or I just don't get Oly's weird battery warning settings. Or why we need battery warning settings other than the choice between a visual or a percentage, like a phone) and b) not to always be true. That, or I've gotten lucky in the past.
  20. martink111

martink111 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Re: Wasabi (Blue Nook)

I have used them for both my GF3 and my EM5. On the GF3, they had substantially better capacity and after at least 40 or 50 charges or so they are still holding fine. For the EM5, I wasn't quite as lucky... However, Blue Nook's customer service is outstanding: When I called to check on this, they informed me that they warrant there batteries for something like several years and sent me replacements no questions asked (with just $5 shipping). The replacement came in and not only had much higher capacity (better than OEM) but also gave much more reliable low power warning, with a good 100 to 150 shots remaining until full dead. No fires, explosions, poison gas, FUD etc here.