1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Remote....?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 2, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The M5 and all the Pen's (except PL1 which can not be triggered remotely) use the same wired shutter release, so any wireless release that works for a Pen camera will work on the M5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thank you Sammy.

4. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    I have this same remote which I got specifically to work with the E-M5. Works pretty well, although I have not used all the different modes on it yet, just the single shutter release. That works great. In messing with the other modes I'm not sure it was doing what it was supposed to be doing, but I probably did not have the proper setups on the camera at the time.

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Just got this wireless remote shutter for the OMD, and it works perfectly.

Amazon.com: RFN-4 (RF-902) Wireless & Cable Shutter Release for Olympus DSLR Cameras RM-UC1 USB (Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-30, E-620, E-520, E-510, E-420, E-410, E-PM1, E-PL3, E-PL2, PEN EP-2, EP-1, SP-570UZ, SP-560UZ, SP-550UZ, SP-510UZ): Camera & Photo

A little pricier than some of the other ones, but works great, is nicer looking, and even comes with a nifty carrying pouch with a divider in it -- one side for the transmitter and one for the receiver. It works in all modes, including self timer.

6. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Thuis may be off topic but here's my rant/story ;) I haven't seen a product like this on the market yet (maybe I'm not looking hard enough) but I'm hoping someone can finally come up with a tiny plug-sized receiver powered by a pill type battery, that plugs directly into the USB / remote socket. The receiver can be small for short ranges, it's mostly up to the transmitter to emit a signal strong enough. That would be perfect for street photography! Those hot shoe mounted bricks may be fine for indoor, studio or landscape but a near-invisible receiver and a transmitter in you pocket would be gold dust for street shooting. ...or otherwise, why can't Oly build this in.? Few people buy RM-UC1 because it's so basic. I've had a Nikon compact that didn't have a remote but had an intervalometer.

I remember my friend's camera from ages ago (either Contax G or Yashica, can't remember) but the remote was embedded in the lens cap! Some Olympus compacts used to have that as well.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You also get extra credit points for doing the first review on Amazon for it. :wink:

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    LOL! Glad someone actually read it! The remote should come in handy so that I don't have to run back and forth next time I take photos with the missus.

Too bad I can't find any wireless remote devices that will work on the Fuji X cameras.

9. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Because Olympus wants you to spend money on their products. Nikon DSLR cameras come with a IR sensor, but only in their mid range cameras, the higher end ones require an expensive adapter, the lower end ones don't even have remote capability.

10. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    It was not easy to find this remote. I searched high and low before emailing the manufacturer (SMDV) in Korea to find a distributor. The Amazon seller in the prior link emailed me that they brought some in based on my request to SMDV and I could buy one from them. I had it in a couple days. Never did write a review though.

FYI, the price at Amazon is about 1/2 what I found from a Canadian photo shop and a Texas shop that was willing to custom order one.

I wanted this specific remote so I could standardize on AAA batteries between the FL300R and the remote.

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Oly DSLR's have/had an IR sensor. The IR remote was dirt cheap. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the m4/3 have any built-in remote sensors.

The Amazon price was 1/2?? Wow, and there I was thinking that it was way overpriced already relative to some other ones.

12. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    Yup. Here is the manufacturer's site SMDV.

Here is the Canon version for $125 at Fotodiox.

13. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    I bought a new RM-UC1 equivalent on eBay for $2.85 with free shipping. It works fine. The sellers user ID is sinedya.