E-M5 RAW samples

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Djarum, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I saw this over at dpreview:

Full size Olympus OM-D E-M5 RAW and JPEG samples to download (Four Thirds User)

Here are my comments to that thread about the RAW files:

"I opened image number 3(ISO 1600) in RAW therapee. I applied 2/3 push EV(seemed a tad under exposed to me), added a touch of contrast, applied 50 Chrominance and 50 luminance noise reduction...and Wow, was I impressed. Plenty of detail and not a whole lot of noise. I'd say at least a stop or more than my E-PL2. The noise seems much finer than what I've seen, especially the chrominance noise.

I took image number 7, applied 1/3 stop +EV, and did 75 on both chrominance gain, and the Image looks OK. Much better than anything the E-PL2 could do. Chrominance noise really starts to rear its ugly head at ISO 6400. Luminance noise isn't terrible, but the coat is a noisy mess, even with the noise reduction. The midtones and highlights look pretty good for ISO 6400, though. The shot I think is slightly underexposed, and would have looked better if the guy was better exposed and the OOF blowouts were ignored. I don't think at ISO 6400 the shadow noise is on the level of the NEX5N samples I've seen."

Overall, I think the ISO3200 is quite usable. The 6400 is pushing it I think, but I want to see better exposed shots first. They have the JPEGS there so that still is a good indicator of what the camera can do I suppose.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Olympus E-M5 RAW and JPEG Files Available for Download at Four Thirds User

EDIT: I didn't realize Djarum had posted a thread about this already. My post below is being merged into the pre-existing thread. -Amin

The good folks at Four Thirds User made the most of their 10 minutes with a late pre-production model Olympus OM-D E-M5 at the Focus on Imaging show to bring us some excellent high ISO RAW and JPEG files to download.

Link: Full size Olympus OM-D E-M5 RAW and JPEG samples to download (Four Thirds User)

The RAW files can be opened using Raw Therapee (Windows) or Raw Photo Processor (Mac).

[via GetDPI forum]

I want to highlight the following explicit request by the Four Thirds User author:
    Per that request, please do not post their images or crops from those images in our forum. I think it's counterproductive of Four Thirds User to make this request, because the presentation and analysis of their crops by those on other sites only increases interest in (and traffic to) their site. However, it is of course their right to restrict permission for use in this manner.