E-M5 problem: Battery not always making contact; camera won't turn on

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Jul 30, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Hi guys,

So I've had this issue present itself once or twice: I'll swap a battery (OEMs) and the camera won't turn on. I thought that the batteries were acting up, until today I was monkeying with the camera and realized that if I pressed on the battery door, the camera would turn on, and then off again. The same issue can be replicated by jiggling the little release tab and/or the battery with the batter door open (which raises another question...why the heck does this camera function with the door open?).

Anyways...I've never dropped or mishandled the camera in any way. Why the heck is it doing it? Is there an easy solution to it? (Prying the contacts out a millimetre or two? Shimming the battery with something?)

Am I the only one who's encountered this issue?

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It happens when people drop the battery into the camera...I've always gently lowered the battery into the camera, and especially flashes, and NEVER had an issue, especially since I learning my lesson 30+ years ago.

I've actually bought "defective" flashes cheap, and fixed them by lifting up the battery contacts.
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Thanks for your post...I definitely don't drop the batteries into the camera...always slide it in nice and slowly. I've owned a ton of DSLRs, etc...never an issue...

So just as I suspected, bending the battery contacts out carefully could solve my issue?
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I suspect the contacts on the battery or in the camera are oxidised a little & that will give that result. I would clean both camera & battery contacts with alcohol on a cotton bud (cotton wool on a stick) & rubbing it dry with a dry cotton bud (double ended ones from the chemist works well). If the contacts look particularly dull it might be worth using an eraser pencil first (pencil eraser made in a pencil) & then following with the alcohol.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ... what Ross said .....
    • Like Like x 2
  6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Thanks, Ross...I'll try that...unfortunately, I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow night...I'm just hoping it won't give me any troubles until I can get to a pharmacy there (all the ones here are closed now). I know one of my batteries had some green oxidization on it, I tried to take it off as best as I could...but the alcohol/Q-tip thing could work...hopefully!
  7. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Yep Ross nailed it. Also works for contacts that are iffy.
    • Like Like x 1