E-M5 price drop

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dch, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    I got interested in upgrading to an E-M5 from my G3 and encouraged from another thread i started checking on new and used prices: suddenly the new price in several places dropped so much, about 40%, that it is now cheaper to get one new than one on ebay (until ebay prices adapt, of course)!
    So much cheaper, in fact, that i'm considering getting my first NEW digital camera, albeit an older one; i always bought even older ones used and i went through the last decade without hurting too much financially, and still using some fine cameras, even full frame (Canon 5D).
    I do understand that a 'replacement' is due soon and this price drop is probably in order to make room for it price wise, yet it looks very tempting.
    I suppose the new one, other than being better, will be more expensive than the E-M5 at the actual low prices.
    I do wonder though: is Oly lowering the price for dealers to get rid of the leftover stock? How do such substantial drops work? I suppose nobody is loosing money in the process or at least minimizing losses, perhaps?
  2. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I am having the same temptation. (But with my G5) However, I read a rumor that Olympus was at announce an entry level OMD in January. I'm waiting to see what transpires with that.
  3. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Well, i read the same thing, but i suppose it will be more expensive than the e-m5 is now, so i probably would end up still getting the e-m5, that can't go down in price a lot more than this...
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The question is do you need the likely new features of the next E-M5? I think the only 90% thing we know is it had better have wifi. Probably better button/button placement. PDAF may or may not be there. Small focus area and peaking (though, this really should be backported to the E-M5 dammit). Hell, we don't even know if this new "entry" OM-D is an E-M5 replacement or slots below it (while this doesn't make sense given the PEN lineup, who knows).

More importantly, does 2-3 months w/o an E-M5 really hinder anything now? If it doesn't, there's never any harm in waiting other than GAS lust :) And like you said, a new one will likely be more expensive than the E-M5 now. So that may answer your question already if you didn't want to spend more in the first place.

G3 to E-M5 is a nice upgrade, I did that :)