1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 price drop POLL

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Joltinjess, May 13, 2013.

1. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    One day I would like to ditch my E-PL1 for the E-m5. I'm on a pretty strict budget though so my question is....

When do you think the average price for a used e-m5 will go below $400?

2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Not until the EM-5 replacement (EM-6 or whatever they call it) is close to being replaced IMO.

3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I loudly praise the quick depreciation of value of Micro Four Thirds cameras, but even I don't think it's dropping below $400 for at least two years.

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I am not bothered what it drops to, if the EM-6 is in fact a pro version with usable CAF and higher shutter speed then that will be for me. My EM-5 will become backup.

The EM-5 is a keeper in the same way I will probably never sell my D700, which is the first camera I have kept for years (D700 bought 4 years ago and still my workhorse)

I have high hopes that a new OM-D will replace my Nikon gear for all paid work

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Have you seen any good light images posted here that the E-PL1 is not capable of delivering? If not, then the E-M5 would be mostly a luxury item for you; e.g. has two dials, built in viewfinder, higher shutter speed, higher sequential shooting rate, etc.

E-PL1 has some advantages too. Like a touch richer and sharper looking outdoor jpegs. Much larger buttons with a more positive tactile feel (E-M5's buttons are tiny and rubbery feeling due to the water proofing)

6. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I'd sell mine for $450 now. But you'll have to buy the Battery / handgrip and 1/2 case for $200 on top of the $450. Plus postage.

Having said that, I think perhaps 1 - 2 years yet for the average to be that cheap, depending on the E-M6 release.

7. micronean

micronean Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    Perhaps in another year, body only...when a lot of people have gone on to the newer stuff.

8. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    You're absolutely right. Outside I have taken some amazing shots of my daughter. The problem is that I try to take a lot of inside shots of her that don't turn out so well. I think that I would also really enjoy the viewfinder (I'm not into spending $180 on the vf-2). I've been doing some sports shooting as well and think that the faster shutter speed and faster frame rate would be nice. Of course since I'm not a pro any upgrade would just be a luxury.:smile:

9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Sold.

10. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I feel like I'm a broken record here, but if you learn how to use bounce flash, you'll get your amazing shots of her inside with just your zooms with your E-PL1, complete with high shutter speed and low ISO. That's how I've been capturing my daughter since she started moving around.

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    While prices for micro four-thirds cameras generally tend to drop fairly rapidly (and even more rapidly with Panasonic bodies than Olympus bodies), the price of high-end gear hasn't fallen in line with that trend - at least not recently.

Oly's OM-D/E-M5 is still selling for list. The price of the old-sensor E-P3 has finally fallen after stubbornly hanging at around $800 with lens for almost forever. Panny's GH2 remained expensive for a long time, too. I fully expect the GH3 to follow in the footsteps of the GH2 on price. The E-M5? Don't look for any substantial price drop until after its successor is announced (rumored for September).

Now, the original post was asking about prices for used E-M5's. That will happen only after the price of new examples comes down. So look for movement late this year - and be ready to act as soon as you find what you're looking for.

Myself, I'm waiting for the price of a new OM-D with 12-50mm kit lens to drop under $1,000. I don't think I'm asking for too much given that the combination only has to drop $300 to reach that point.