E-M5 Picture Mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mronen, Oct 16, 2014.

1. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Hello,

I have the E-M5 for two years now and only shoot RAW, so I was never worried about 'Picture Mode' setting. It's 'Natural 3', and never tried to change it. I know it does not apply to RAW, but I want to experiment now with options 1, 2, 4 and 5 (Vivid, etc.). However, I cannot change it. I only have 'Natural 3' or 'Art' option, via the menu or the 'Super Control Panel', even if I change the 'Rec Mode' to JPEG or RAW+JPEG.

The Manual, didn't help. I run firmware version 2.0, and do not use 'Touch' options.

Thanks,
    Moshe

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm pretty sure it is in the manual. You must have turned those options off and forgotten about it. What you want is set in:

Custom Menu --> D. Disp / (Sound) / PC --> Picture Mode Settings

Turn whichever options you want back to 'On'.

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

I uses a free app called "instant raw from jpeg" that extracts the preview jpeg from the raw file and the preview jpeg as far as i know is affected by the picture mode setting, and it can be very handy if you need a quick jpeg of the raw as i only takes seconds to extract an entire directory full of raw files i have been using it for years.

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html

John.

4. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks wjiang, found it! And it works!

Moshe

5. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks John, I use this app and indeed it is useful!

Moshe

6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

Some camera`s have a full size preview jpeg embedded which is great, it has a small file size but the quality is good for emailing ect, some camera`s have a lower resolution image embedded which is not as useful.

John.