E-M5 owners would you

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dave92029, Sep 14, 2013.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    I lust after the E-M1 Plus 12-40mm Pro lens, but at $2,500 (8% sales tax) thats a lot of dollars so I was trying to decide if I should get the E-M1 first and then get the 12-40 latter or get the 12-40 now and the E-M1 latter.

Wait for the after holiday sales?

Do nothing?

Any suggestions?

I'm very happy with my E-M5 and current lens selection, and wonder if I would be able to "see" any difference since all my viewing is on the internet or on my computer screen.

Thanks

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Get the lens, if anything. They hold their value longer. Bodies depreciate fast. The em5 us fine. The em1 is for pros and those wanting to use legacy 4/3rds lenses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    Well considering the EM-1 won't be released till October, and Christmas is a few months away, if you're patient and wait a bit the price may drop, but by how much, its hard to predict. As you stated you're "very happy" with your OM-D, if you are then I would advise you to keep it and get the 12-40mm instead. But in all honesty, the best way to find it is, to visit a local camera store in your area and try the EM1 side by side with your OM-D. That way you'll make a better conscious choice as to whether or not you want to get the EM-1. All purchases consider, a lens will most likely outlast a camera body, so the 12-40mm lens you have will (in most cases depending on how you keep its condition) will out live the EM-1.

4. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    What kind of difference are you expecting to see? If you are unhappy with the EM5's C-AF and fixing CA in post, maybe you'll notice. It doesn't seem anybody has noticed improvements in sharpness with the lack of AA filter in the EM1.

You may appreciate improvements in handling if you are dissatisfied with the EM5 EVF and button assignments. Those are some things I am tolerating on my EM5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Get the lens. You can use it now on your EM5.

6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    If you get the lens, I think you should sell the primes with that range, unless you need something f1.8 or f2.0. I don't see EM1 has too much difference IQ between EM5, the size of the new 12-40mm lens is more suitable for EM1, too big for EM5 unless you got/use the grip.

I'm happy with my EM5 with primes, the original idea of EM5 "small and light" with great primes still a dream for many people. That new specs and reviews of the new EM1 effectively your G.A.S.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I figure around xmas 2015 there will be slews of used E-M1 going for $700-800. Might be tempted then pending the experiences posted.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You are happy with the EM5 and your lens selection.... the answer is clear. Neither.

Photography drives purchases not the other way around

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

• Like Like x 5
  9. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    I agree with getting the lens, but I understand your interest in the E-M1 as well. One thing to consider is the price of the lens separately. My local store is listing it for twice the price when sold separately. Of course you could buy a kit and sell the E-M1 but I guess you would find that difficult.:biggrin:

10. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Provided that the lens isn't supposed to be released until after the body (Amazon says December, Olympus says late October), I would say to get the lens first if you're happy with the body.

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I'm a video shooter and the EM-1 has three compelling features over the E-M5:

1) No AA filter so video image should theoretically be brighter and a tad more detailed.

2) Much better continuous auto focus

3) No moire or other artifacts when panning complex scenes like vegetation - a huge benefit over the E-M5, the Panasonic GH3 and Canon DSLR's.

12. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    If you have some bucks to spend get some more high value primes such as the OLY 45. or 17 or if you want to get blown away get the Oly 75. Or you can get the Panny 35-100. You have some high quality glass already but you also have some economy glass too and would get a big boost for your EM-5 f you matched quality with quality.

13. My two cents....

I got the EM-5 because i wanted sth compact, coming from a Nikon D600 and big lenses. Why would I then want a slightly bigger camera that is intended to be used with bigger lenses? My EM-5 + 2 pancake lenses and 45mm are so compact and perfectly fit my main criteria of having something small, light and easy to carry round, while still delivering decent results.

The EM-1 looks nice but it doesn't interest me at all. And I'm one of those unusual people that judges a 'pro' by their images, not by their gear ;)

Cheers,
    Alpha Whiskey Photography

14. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Lens!
    Photography money is best invested in quality lenses.

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If you're going for IQ, don't bother. It's not a huge step forward. It's more like a tweak.

Why get the E-M1? Ergonomics are inherently better. More buttons. Better button/dial layout/customizations. Better weather sealing. Big ass VF. And even with those, a GH3 could fit the bill cheaper, you just lose IBIS ("just" is subjective...).

Is all that worth it? Most likely not. Though, I'm still contemplating it because of controls and that VF (most the magnification). Even just being slightly smaller than the GH3 is a plus for me. But I'm hoping to wait it out for a price drop. Or if the US gets a free grip rebate...

So basically... get the lens, call it a day.

16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Pros:

1/8000 shutter speed.
    ISO 100 (fake)
    But still worth 2 stops of aperture in bright light.
    Less noise (meh)
    New VF
    Fast 4/3 lens support.
    Focus peaking

Cons:

IQ is essentially a wash IMO
    Bigger
    Not as flexible (grip always attached)
    Expensive compared to e-m5
    Focus with m43 lenses is really only marginally better for most uses.

If you don't shoot sports or wildlife with 43 lenses I think this is a pass unless you need 2 stops shallower depth of field in bright light.

17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I agree with the conclusion, but the ergonomics are better and not. The new on off switch is hard to use with a tripod and unusable with one hand. This bugs the hell out of me.

18. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    While the EM1 is improved over the EM5, for serious video I'd rather have the GH3.

19. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    I have an OM-D and I have reordered an E-M1 body. For me, the 1/8000 shutter speed, weather sealing, UI, VF, improved IBIS and C-AF performance is the draw. THe ability to use a 4/3 50-200 is also a potential draw, but I might wait to see where the new 40-150 will land price wise.

I am undecided about the 12-40. While it looks to be outstanding optically, is also weather sealed and functions as a 1:3 pseudo macro, I sold my 24-70/2.8 Nikon in exchange for the 24-120/4 due to range on the long end. I am concerned about the same issue here.

If I end up buying the 12-40, the exceptional close focus ability will be the deciding factor.

20. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I love my E-M5 and will wait a while before I upgrade it. Now as to the new 12-40 lens, it will fill a big gap in my lens lineup. I'll pinch my pennies until I can afford this gem! :cloud-9-039: