E-M5 owners upgrading to E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Joelmusicman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Gotta say, as much as I want the E-M1, I've been having a devil of a time selling my E-M5. I've decided that I really want to net about $600 for it, but haven't had any takers (eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, and here too).

If I can only get $550 then that means the new one will cost $850 net for the swap. Of course I want to get the 12-40 too so the $200 rebate is also factoring into my decision. I've been waffling about cancelling my preorder (but keeping the order for the lens in place).

So the main benefits to me vs. E-M5:

EVF
    Ergonomics
    PDAF
    Wifi (though I'd really want to connect to a router, which the E-M1 cannot do)

Are most folks just sucking it up and biting on the new one?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Bodies bleed cash - esp when new boys are on the block. Personally, I'm not upgrading until either my E-M5 dies or when used E-M1s are available at sensible prices.

• Like Like x 6
  3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    When the E-M1 was announced, I was really afraid that I would be tempted to upgrade. I'm not.

Here's why:
    - Yes, the EVF is better...but the E-M5's EVF is the best I've ever used. It has no shortcomings and I have no complaints...it's certainly "good enough," so why upgrade?

- One of my biggest criteria for upgrading bodies is "Is the IQ significantly better?" The answer here is a resounding "No".

- WiFi...meh. Don't care. I'd rather have GPS.

- Ergonomics: Matter of taste. I've found that the E-M1, just like the HLD-6 on the E-M5 is better to hold, but less comfortable to USE than a bare E-M5. I have to contort my fingers in unnatural ways to use the REC/Fn buttons on the top plate on a gripped E-M5, and while the E-M1 is slightly better in this regard, it's not perfect.

- I got into M4/3 for the light weight and the small form factor (for travelling)...E-M5 wins here.

- PDAF: yeah...it'd be nice, but the times it would actually matter in real life for my style of shooting is significantly less than 1%...not enough to be a deciding factor.

And, like pdk42 mentioned, the worst investment in digital photography are bodies, especially ones that just hit the market. I'm happily sticking with my E-M5! :)

• Like Like x 13
  4. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Not to say the you should upgrade but some of these reasons are going to vary according to the individual. But to me the two biggest advantages compared to the E-M5 are the EVF and ergonomics. The EVF isn't just a little better, it's way better. I also find the E-M1 much much comfortable to use than E-M5. But again these are personal preferences.

5. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I've never owned an E-M5, but I did borrow a friend's E-M5 once. I was switching from Canon to Olympus, so the E-M1 was a no brainer since it was my first M4/3. However, based on my experience with my friend's E-M5, if I already owned one I don't think I would pay $1400 to switch.

This is coming from a guy who bought a 20D in Jan 2005, and didn't buy another DSLR until 2013 though, so your mileage may vary. I'll be using the E-M1 for many years to come.

6. Foster2380

Foster2380 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    For me the EM1 is the camera I wanted to the EM5 to be. I have really enjoyed the focus peaking, the great EVF, and the touch to focus during video. Everything else is nice but not something I really notice individually. Combined though I find I enjoy shooting with the EM1 much more than the EM5. Switching from a 5D2 to the EM5 was rough, I think if I had gone from the 5D2 to the EM1 it wouldn't have been as much of an adjustment.

At the end of the day, IQ is the same, and for the most part, your end product will be the same (not always i.e. c-af and 4/3rds lenses ect...) but how you reach that end product could be slightly more enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    I love the way my silver em5 looks. Yesterday I did Empire State Building, Guggenheim, and walk through Central Park to Museum of modern Art.

Apart from one Leica, a fujifilm, and a Pentax, the canons and nikons were about all I saw, and they are just huge ugly blobs of black plastic. I felt I had the best pound for pound camera out of the lot. Especially with the silver 20mm f/2 on it.

The em1 is in my opinion one step towards the blob look with it's ugly grip and battery.

I don't see why they can't put the seemingly easy software enhancements into the em5.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm not tempted either - but I may be tempted by the bargain EM5 bodies cropping up! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    love my new (old) E-M5 but sure would like REAL focus
    peaking as I enjoy it greatly in my NEX 7.....

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, I had the E-M1 for a week, and ultimately decided to stick with the E-M5. The cost equation definitely was part of it - I didn't feel like the $900 net for the upgrade was really going to improve my photography that substantially, and I wasn't thrilled to sell the E-M5 for half what I paid for it after only 12 months of use.

If I shot a lot of action, or was a manual focus nut, I might have chosen differently though.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Joelmusicman

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanks for all the support. I decided to cancel the E-M1 I had on preorder at Adorama. You guys are right in that the cost just doesn't make sense. I don't know how Olympus can continue selling the E-M5 alongside the two better models. I met someone with the E-P5 with the VF-4 which he let me demo; much larger and nicer especially since I wear glasses.

Like the rest of you guys I'm very annoyed that Olympus doesn't add the (easy) software improvements from the newer cameras though. Amazing that I've only been using the JB grip with my 6'4" frame and hands to match. Maybe I should treat myself to the HLD-6.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joelmusicman

Nov 1, 2013
    The lens on the other hand... :wink:

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That was my thinking too. In particular, the lens will at worst depreciate slowly, and certainly won't be replaced with anything comparable in the next 3 or so years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    If you have an E-M5 and dont have a fast standard zoom, the 12-40 2.8 is really the upgrade to go for. It might cost a little more than the E-M1 upgrade but 1) it will hold its value better 2) there is probably a spare prime in that range you can sell to make up the difference and 3) the 12-40 will almost certainly make more difference to the quality of your output than the E-M1

• Like Like x 3
  15. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I like my E-M1 so far... I LOVE my E-M5... :blush:

That said, the "improvements" are tangible but in the grand scheme of all things photographic, it's ultimately about the person behind the camera...

W.

• Like Like x 3
  16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I upgraded for one main reason - On-sensor PDAF. It allows me to use my 4/3 lenses more often, especially the 50-200 SWD. All the other improvements, such as the superb EVF, the much improved ergonomics, better C-AF and tracking abilities, focus peaking, Wi-Fi, etc. were just icing on the cake...

Improved image quality was never one of my considerations, although I do find color retention to be better at higher ISO, which is another bonus!

However, at the end of the day, as others have said, the camera is just a tool. Having said that, the E-M1 is a great tool, and one that adds to the enjoyment of my photographic experience, I must add...

• Like Like x 1
  17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That's a good point...for someone who owns 4/3 lenses and likes to track things, the E-M1 is far more attractive than to someone with only M4/3 lenses who doesn't shoot a lot of subjects needing tracking.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The only reason I've preordered (still not available here in NL) is that burglars stole my e-M5, 12-35 and 100-300. And the insurance should pay out purchase price on the e-m5.

19. Joelmusicman

Nov 1, 2013
    I've already sold the 17 down the river. Might sell my 45 too. Ming Thein even sold his 12 for the new zoom. Then again, he's got the GR for his wide...

20. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm going to place my pre-order for the EM1 next year when all the hype is over!