E-M5 or GH3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DizzyV6P, May 18, 2012.

1. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Since no one has started this, I"ll do it then!!

My E-M5 is still backordered everywhere. I'm tempted to cancel it and wait for the GH3 release and compare and contrast ;)

I ordered a GF3 w/ 14 f/2.5 and Panny 45-200 to keep me busy while waiting for the E-M5 so I guess the urgency is lessened. However, I would like to bring it my cruise this summer, sooooo.....

E-M5 or GH3? :2thumbs:

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I figure that the GH3 better be better than the EM5. So I say, GH3!!!

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'd prefer an E-P5 if I could have a Pen, please......as long as we're including cameras that don't even exist yet......or the Fuji X-Pro2

• Like Like x 2
  4. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Actually, I should add the G5 into the mix since it might be announced next week.

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'd love an EP5, but only if it has a built-in EVF!

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If they ever make a Pen with a built EVF I'll buy 2....one for each eye!

7. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I suspect it exists, named E-M5...

• Like Like x 2
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I always choose the imaginary/hypothetical cameras. It's the only way to make sure it doesn't get outdated.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Clearly you should just wait for the GHX-1 PRO MD.

• Like Like x 2
  10. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Panasonic has been worse to market their products in the US. So a Sep announcement. Dec availability in Asia will translate to availability in North America around June 2013.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol
    A bird in hand is better than two in the bush .. and thats how I would think . A GH3 which is not even announced and we have no idea what its gonna offer . On the top of that same DSLR styled body which many of us don't like including me .Istead of waiting for GH3 , why not to pick up GH2? Prices are great now and its a wonderful camera and I don't see Panny will offer to a drastic improvement over GH2. Moreover sudden thought of GH3 doesn't mean that GH2 can't take pictures suddenly ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Me too. I have an Olympus PEN E-P2 and a GH2. I've been tempted to upgrade the E-P2 to an E-P3 for faster autofocus and that snazzy screen, but the GH2 will hold me over until a new PEN arrives. I really like the PEN styling, size, and simplicity.

13. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Why don't you just pick the already available camera? Just go for the camera that have all the feature you needed most. There will always be the new version camera to be announced around the corner. If you want to wait a little longer there will be OM-D EM-6 in just a few years, it still unannounced but I'm sure Olympus already planned it. :)

14. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    ....Or should you wait for the Pro M4/3 that Olympus says the E-M5 isn't but which they are working on, or perhaps wait for the really high end M4/3 that Panasonic say they are working on which clearly wont be the GH3 because it will obviously get a new designation. Or perhaps wait for the Grim Reaper to make his move.

15. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I'm not ready (yet?) to give up the GH2's articulating display and its multi-aspect sensor. I'm hoping the GH3 will be a step forward in sensor performance, especially less noise at base ISO and that it will keep the features I mentioned. Meanwhile, the E-M5 is surely tempting with its weathersealing, IBIS, large buffer and speed in general, but so far I managed to not buy it. I'm fortunate enough to have a shop within walking distance of my home and they have the E-M5 on display. I managed to walk out again without even asking to hold it, too afraid I would succumb :redface:.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Panasonic might announce the G5 this week so it'll be interesting to see what the specs are for it.

17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The EM5 is calling you.

You must touch it.

You must caress it.

It must be yours.

Oh yes, it will be yours. Oh yes ...

• Like Like x 1
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So when the GH3 hits and you pre-order, will you consider canceling because of the E-M6?

• Like Like x 1
  19. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Yes, but only because the E-M6 recognizes my Minolta legacy lenses and sets IBIS focal length accordingly.

20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

and then GH4..?