E-M5 or E-M10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by parodying, Sep 9, 2015.

1. parodying

parodying Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    The used prices for both are about the same right now, but I can't decide which one I want more. The WIFI on the E-M10 is tempting (do people actually find a relevant use for that though?) and the weather sealing on the E-M5 is tempting as well. Which model seems like the better deal?
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The EM10 also has the "0 sec anti-shock", which is the electronic first curtain shutter that minimizes shutter shock. Of course, the EM5 also has 5 axes IBIS vs. the EM10's 3 axes version. The buttons are less mushy on the EM10. I sold an old EM5 and bought a refurb EM10 and they are very similar in producing results. I also have an EM1, which is my rainy day camera. I realize I've been no help, but if the weather sealing is not important to you, the EM10 is a real possibility.
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    We had the E-M5 and we still have E-M10. I would choose the E-M10. FWIW - I don't use the WiFi to download images. It is, however, great to use a remote trigger.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Personally I would go with the EM5 because of the better IBIS and the weather sealing. I recently picked up an Olympus 17/2.8 to use on my EM5 (which until now was just sitting on a shelf in my office) as my always with me camera. I had been taking my EM1 but decided that the EM5 would be better in case something happen and I lost or had my bag stolen. The one thing I was concerned about is not having the wifi to get photos to my phone to post to IG or FaceBook, then I remembered that I had Eye-Fi card that I had gotten when I shot a Fuji XE1. I find using the Eye-Fi card a lot easier then using the wifi in my EM1. One of the reasons I find it easier is I only shoot RAW and with the Oly app I have to convert a photo to jpg then transfer it to my phone and finally delete the jpg image from the card. The Eye-Fi card will transfer RAW files to my phone, making it just a lot simpler.
  5. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Probably won't be any help either - but I just recently got the E-M5 Mk2 second hand for an excellent price.

I was also tossing up between the original E-M5 and E-M10, and would have gone for the 'newer' E-M10 if my E-M5 Mk2 hadn't come along at just the right time. There isn't much between the two, so I would have gone for the E-M10.
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Newer tech with several updates vs better IBIS and weather sealing?

Personally I would pick the E-M10. Updated AF, processor, etc all favor the E-M10. And weather sealing is only as good as the lenses sealing. Also there are several little things that make the E-M10 seem a lot like an E-M5 with a few issues resolved (mushy buttons and 0 anti shock, to name just 2).

But only you can say if the better IBIS and if you have weather sealed lenses would make a difference for you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Buy my E-M10, since I accepted your offer.
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    imo current EM1 used prices of $600-ish makes it better deal.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Even the DPReviewers noted in their conclusion that unless weather sealing was a must they would pick the E-M10 over the E-M5.

And personally I do not see much difference between the 3 way and 5 way IBIS system unless you take a lot of video while drunk then maybe it might have some advantages.:)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    +1 for the E-M1
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Get the EM10 and add the ECG1 grip
    This is a simple grip with no additional buttons or dials - much simpler than the HLD6 grip for the EM5 and much more comfortable and ergonomic
    Have had both EM5s and EM10s just got rid of my latest EM5 and returned to an EM10 again
    EM10 for me without doubt
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    E-M10 unless you shoot in adverse weather conditions. Saying that, I use the wifi capabilities quite a bit to upload shots to social media when on the fly.
  13. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    I agree with Phocal: "Personally I would go with the EM5 because of the better IBIS and the weather sealing." I don't do much with social media, so wifi wasn't important for me.
  14. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    I have the E-M10 with additional ECG-1 grip....I found it to be more comfortable to handle than the E-M5. The E-M5 is still a great camera but is the oldest of the OM-D's available now; yes, the weather sealing is a good thing however you need to use the appropriate lenses to recognise the benefit in full. The 5-axis vs 3-axis is not a massive difference unless pushed to the extremes.

In terms of the E-M10, it is the last in the first generation of OM-D's; the buttons are positive not mushy, it utilises the same Truepic engine as the E-M1, has more AF points, MF Peaking, Wi-Fi (great for remote shots or sharing jpegs quickly), Live Composite, a better rear display and a handy built-in flash.

You won't go wrong with either but the E-M10 would be my choice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    You asked about Wifi - I didn't think I would use it much until I tried it, but now I would miss it if it wasn't there. The remote control can be really useful, for example to compose a family photo including myself, rather than running around with the self timer. Or just to avoid moving the camera for long exposures. I also like the file transfer, for example if I am travelling for work and take a photo that would interest my children I can send it to them via my phone. Previously I used to end up taking a photo of same scene with camera and phone.

Similarly with Live Composite, when I got the E-M10 I didn't even understand what it was but I have found it a lot of fun to use.
  16. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    For me, 1+ stop better IBIS with the em5. I don't need weather resistance, so for me everything else about the em5 is inferior or equal to the em10. Can't review in EFV. Using buttons by feel convinces me ease of doing that was a low design priority. The ridge between the lens mount and right side of the body is different than the em1 or em10, subtle but enough to make it less effective and less comfortable to use. No WiFi remote control as others mentioned. Have to remove accessory grip to change battery. One place it shines is the vertical format with the accessory grip, for which I have almost no need.

I bought the em5 because I wanted the O12-40 and the kit price meant I got a second body for about ~$250. Dropped my em10 so started using the em5. It's shortcomings are sufficiently annoying I've thought of buying something else and relegate the em5 to second body status. What's stopping me is the better IBIS because I like shooting in low light.
  17. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    E-m10 with the extra grip. I have small hands, like to use the wifi for remote shutter purposes, is ergonomically better, better processor, focus peaking, in body flash, etc. Both are great. But i love my e-m10
  18. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I would want the E-m10 for Focus peaking with MF glass and also the live composite mode for seeing long exposure shots develop on the screen in front of you, and the time-lapse mode too.
  19. JakeNW

JakeNW New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2015
    I chose the E-M5 for the weather sealing, paired with the 12-40 (edit: mainly for dirt, dust, and sand). But my first time out shooting it developed the sticky shutter issue so... maybe I chose poorly.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  20. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Long before weather sealed cameras came out, I shot in the rain and snow with many cameras with 0 without problem. Just try to keep them the gear as dry as possible and then dry it off as soon as possible. Besides Olympus won't warranty any camera with any water damage!!!! So one way or the other, your at your peril if shooting in less than dry weather.

The camera sizes are different enough that if you nimbly deal with small items, then the EM-10 won't be an issue. If you fumble or have a hard time grabbing or moving small objects, go for the larger camera.

Both are excellent cameras.
    • Agree Agree x 2