1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 - Occasional dark frames.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by flash, Nov 29, 2012.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'm getting a strange problem with my E-M5. Occasionally I get a really dark or completely black exposure. I only started noticing it after I tried using an adapted lens on the camera. So I thought it was a bug in the firmware, but today I got one with my 75mm 1.8 attached. It usually occurs not long after I turn the camera on or shortly after using the live view magnification but it's not predictable, yet.

It only happens for a single frame. After that every thing is fine for a while. I haven't discovered a pattern yet. But it does mean I need to chimp more than I'm used to. The shutter sound is completely normal. I wonder whether it's the timing of the shutter cocking for the shot after zooming in (that's what I was doing with the adapted lenses - zoomed in for focusing) because sometimes the shutter would be 1/2000th of a second anyway but the frame is underexposed by at least 4 stops (and there's only 1 stop left in the shutter).

Firmware would be annoying, but not fatal. I'm a bit worried that either the sensor or the shutter may have an issue (especially as my Leica M9 sensor spontaniously cracked last week) and I really can't afford to be without this camera for an extended period right now.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Gordon

2. API75

API75 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    I had some black frames too!!

Some days ago I had the same issue, with the 75 and with the 20!
    I also had a couple of really under-exposed frames before.
    Firmware is 1.5, but I updated the firmware the same day I bought the OM-D, so I don't know if it is firmware related.
    I'm really worried...
    Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  3. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    not good. if it happens again. in it goes. Olympus service is craps here so idont expect to see it for some time to come.....

Gordon

5. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Good news. The dealer I bought it from (major electrical - not camera store) realy looked after me. Even though I am outside the 30 day exchange period by 5 days they didn't hesitate to exchange the body. Couldn't do enough to help.

That's why I've bought three tablets and a camera from them in the last month or so.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Good to hear!

• Like Like x 1
  7. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I have been getting occasional dark frames and it happened again this morning. The camera is on it's way back to Olympus but I thought I would upload the 'non image'. All the exif data is there as though it did process normally ... the guy in my local shop thinks it might be the shutter sticking
    PC020005r.

8. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK
    Stefan
    This is my first post on this forum, and unfortunately I have the same problem only worse. On any photo taken at over (around) 1/800th second I have a dark frame. At first this happened only when the camera hadn't been used for a while and then only for the first exposure.

It's my guess the shutter is sluggish, especially in the current cold weather. So it's too slow to catch a fast exposure, even though the EXIF data thinks the frame was properly exposed. During slower exposures, the sluggish shutter just reduces the exposure time slightly, rather than missing it altogether. Just my theory.

This is a well documented OMD problem on other forums. Mine is a two week old camera, so I hope and expect it to be exchanged for a new one.

Rens

9. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Good luck. I think they should too (but they never listen to me). So far so good with my replacement. Hope yours is here for Christmas.

Gordon

10. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK
    Stefan
    ProCameraShop asked me to update the firmware, which I've done. As others have found, this doesn't correct the problem.

Rens

11. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    The camera arrived back from olympus this afternoon, fully serviced and an 'electrical' fault repaired. Lets hope that is the fault found and rectified

Incredible service with a turn round of just 10 days :2thumbs:

12. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    Start-up Problems

This sounds similar to my start-up problems referenced here:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/om-d-12-50-failure-37676/

I have just received it back (again) with an exchanged 12-50 that they apparently agree was the culprit. I would concentrate on changing lenses and noting which and when seem to promote it. Mine got worse, locking up, firing randomly, and finally, to the point of being unable to shut the camera off while it was locked up.

I discovered the lens issue when I put it on my Pen P3 and it went blank when fired up.

Good luck and Keep us posted.

13. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK
    Stefan
    That's a good point. I'd try the 12-50 on my wife's G1 if I hadn't already sent camera and lens back to ProCameraShop. They are optimistic about getting me a replacement (the camera was new) by Christmas.

Rens

14. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    Send the lens too!

The firmware update addresses a different kind of problem that is discussed elsewhere on the forum. Mine, and these seem to be initial power-up (and lens changing) related. The Oly Service Rep confirmed that there had been OM-D lock-up problems that 1.5 addressed. However, mine was apparently my 12-50 lens. I got no explanation, just "exchanged" marked on the service order.

Just be sure to SEND THE LENS IN TOO, even though they tell you it is not necessary.

15. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK
    Stefan
    In fact I didn't want to send the lens (which I assumed to be working perfectly), but ProCameraShop insisted. So perhaps I was lucky.

Rens

16. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Mine had absolutely nothing to do with the 12-50. In fact that was the one lens I didn't try. It happened with several lenses, including some adapted ones. Anyway, the body was exchanged at the dealer.

Gordon

17. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK
    Stefan
    And I presume your replacement doesn't have the problem?

Rens

18. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    No problems with the replacement. Then again the first one was fine for a few weeks as well.

Gordon

19. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    Do you have the grip on the camera when the black frames occur? I noticed that it is easy to accidentally push the shutter button on the grip and if the lens cap is on when the grip shutter button is accidentally pressed a black frame is taken. Once I noticed this situation, I decided to activate the lock button on grip to make the shutter button inactive - Since doing this, I have not seen any black frames.

20. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK
    Stefan
    I for one don't have the grip.

Rens