E-M5 Not Turning on with Grip Installed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tomas, Mar 6, 2013.

1. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Have any of you noticed this problem?

Very occasionally my E-M5 will not turn on when the battery grip is installed and the camera is set to use the grip battery first. (The battery in the grip still being at least 1/2 charged.) When I detach the grip, the camera turns on. When I re-install the grip, the camera turns on, using the battery in the grip.

Any thoughts?

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I seem to recall this effect with my Nikon D700 and its grip. The solution as discovered at that time by others (and which I imitated successfully), was to clean the interface connectors. I later acquired the electronics-type of contact cleaner (typically Freon) intending to use it regularly (albeit infrequently). I never got the chance to try the electronics contact cleaner (from Radio Shack) because I sold the D700.

Good luck, and let us know what you try and how it works (my grip is supposed to arrive today - the snow not interfering).

3. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    What brand of battery is in each place?

4. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Standard Olympus battery for that camera.

5. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Thanks to Slothead

Many thanks Slothead. Went to Radio Shack and bought both the product you suggested and also the aerosol duster. Used the one to clean the contacts on both the batteries and all the camera/grip contacts. Used the air cleaner to dry the contacts right away. Everything worked fine. Back in business. Thank you again.

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Another satisfied customer, care of Slothead! Great to hear of the positive result.