E-M5 Noise, Long Exposures, In Camera NR or DXO Prime?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tradesmith45, Nov 1, 2015.

1. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    While doing PP on some night images from a recent trip saw something I hadn't seen before. Hadn't done many really long exposures before - 3+ minutes. Have done lots of hi ISO <30 sec. stuff & assumed the E-M5 would give similar noise w/ much longer exposures - NOT!

Would like to do some long exposures for foregrounds of starscapes. Beginning to wonder is that will work w/ Oly. Wonder if IBIS limits heat dissipation from the sensor.

A lot has been written about the noise from the E-M1 w/ long exposure. So last night did a simple test to see what's going on w/ the E-M5. Anyone found a way around this?

So here's 50% crop from 4 minutes @ ISO 1600 w/ in camera NR turned off:
    [​IMG]_A310149_ NR Off by tradesmith45, on Flickr

Same w/ in camera NR On. Notice still have hot pixels but much less noise: [​IMG]_A310150_NR On by tradesmith45, on Flickr

Turned to my stalwart NR software DXO Prime & got really disappointing results. Here's w/ in camera NR Off & Prime at its strongest setting: [​IMG]_A310149_NR_Off+DXO Prime100 by tradesmith45, on Flickr

Then w/ in camera NR+ Prime: [​IMG]_A310150_NR_On+DXO Prime100 by tradesmith45, on Flickr

Prime didn't accomplish much in either case.
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, you definitely want 'Noise Reduction' set to AUTO as that does Dark Frame Subtraction, even with RAW iirc.
    Unless you're going to be stacking and want to occasionally take dark frames manually.

3. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Actually Barry, I've had good results with milky way shots w/ SS<25 sec on the E-M5. And that's why I was so surprised by these results.

My more limited experience w/ long exposures on the E-M1 has shown me NR Auto is required even at low ISO & 30 sec SS. Using the HDR button on the E-M1 turns off in camera NR & 0 Antishock release. That's produced some soft & high noise HDRs for me.

Tonight I'll test again & try pixel mapping to see if that solves any of this problem on the E-M5 & E-M1.