E-M5: New firmware

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Feb 19, 2013.

1. therourke

therourke Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    London
    Have updated, no problems so far. I only had a precursory glance through the menus, but I couldn't spot any significant changes.

Anything but these listed changes been updated? If this is all, it's a pretty minor update:

- The highlight and shadow control function was modified so the exposure settings are applied correctly at ISO 2000 or higher.
    - The issue that occasionally prevented operations during long exposures was resolved.

2. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    to bad no peaking ?
    and no small focus point :(

kinda bummed was hoping for one of those at least ?

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    +1

4. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Just updated to 1.6, can't find anything change in menu, only heard louder focus beep and shutter sound, anyone?

I also have problem with updater 1.3, always "fail to connect to server", it only work on the first time connect to server, even I re-installed on the same computer, no luck, same message.., but it is work on other computer that freash installed the updater using same internet connection, I already used 3rd laptop and 1 destop in my house, I really need to solve this, anyone helps? thanks!!

BTW I'm using window 7 64, 7 32, vista 32, mcafee, I did turn off the firewall and anti virus, same story.

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    never use the focus beep ?
    shutter sounds the same I would guess ?

6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Didn't expect Oly would come through with focus peaking, smaller focus point, or easier bracketing solutions (e.g. from the SCP). Sincerely doubt they'd be putting resources behind anything other than bug-fixes at this point. That's why I put in that thread/poll to see if users would be willing to pay for additional functionality by way of firmware updates to make it worth Oly's while.

7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Things I want from the E-PL5 on my E-M5:

• The HDR bracketing mode
    • "Persistent" smaller focus point (which pretty much everyone wants)
    • The ability to assign MySet's to unused mode dial positions (I don't use "Scene" mode so on the E-PL5 that is the HDR mode now)

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'd really like the persistent small focus point. Haven't used the EPM2's HDR mode, as I'm still using the AE bracket (5-shot +/- 1) + high-speed drive mode. Can you please tell me how the HDR mode differs?

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

9. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Any news that it is even in development?

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Its absurd that the OMD their "pro" or flagship camera however you wanna call it, doesnt have the small focus point!. even the EPM2 has it!

• Like Like x 3
  11. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It allows for wider bracketing in terms of the number of stops between shots so you can get a wider "spread" in extreme dynamic range conditions.

John

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    BTW, this firmware really changed the shutter sound. It is much louder than before. I read this somewhere and I thought it would be a mistake, but it definitely changed the sound. Is this normal?

13. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    No 24p video?!

Boooooo Olympus!

14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but I have bracketing set up on my E-M5 (5 frames at 1.0EV per frame, and a 5-burst mode for taking those five frames quickly), but I don't see any means to do this on my E-PL5 (but I'm very new with the E-PL5). Am I understanding correctly?

15. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    If the shutter is mechanical, how can firmware make it louder? Not disputing the claim, just doesnt seem right.

16. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Although I call it "HDR bracketing", it's not a mode as such. But if you check the bracketing choices available you'll see you have 2 and 3 stop options you didn't have before.

EDIT: Ignore what's in italics above.

I just picked up the E-PL5 to check my post and there IS an HDR bracketing mode and it's in the "Camera 2" menu (picture of a camera and digit 2) under "Bracketing" and then you will see towards the bottom "HDR BKT" and the expanded range is in there. That's what I'm using but since I have it on a MySet I forgot it was a separate mode.

Sorry for any confusion!
    John

17. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have a theory on this, but I'm surprised Olympus wouldn't explain it better if I'm right.

As you know, there is another kind of "shutter lag" on our cameras that is hidden. In a focal plane shutter live view environment the shutter doesn't immediately expose the picture.

Instead, it first has to close, then run through the sequence to expose the shot.

What I'm wondering is: has Olympus sped up that initial close somehow to reduce the lag between pressing the button and the "real" shutter operation starting? That would be nice if so.

As it stands, if you want to shoot action you have to anticipate it more than with a DSLR or rangefinder because of the extra shutter closing operation.

John

18. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    As far as the persistent smaller focusing point, I have that set up by pressing F2 (magnify). Only problem is you have to hit OK to clear it. But Zi use it all the time.

19. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I think most of us do that very thing as well -- but moving that point around is a pain compared to the "fixed array" like the normal focus boxes. The E-PL5 keeps the box layout, and just makes them smaller and it's pretty quick to change focus points.