1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 - My 1st M43 Camera

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by BadKarMah, Oct 9, 2012.

1. BadKarMah

BadKarMah Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    I've just received my OM-D last week and love it.
    I use to shoot with a Canon 40D.

So far, it's has blown me away.

:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome, I just received one as well, to compliment my G3 and EPL-1 - great camera indeed.

Any pictures that we can see with your OMD?

3. BadKarMah

BadKarMah Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Monterey, CA.

I just shot these this past weekend in Monterey, CA. Monterey Aquirium shots were mostly Pany 25mm. Denis the menace playground were mainly the 12-50 Kit lens, and the meatball shot was the Pany 14mm 2.5.

I shot only jpegs. Colors are pretty vibrant. I have not shot raw yet.

http://stephenmah.smugmug.com/Other/MontereyOctober/25806350_6grnjM
    enjoy

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Very nice pictures! Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum. I sold my 40D and accessories and bought an E-P3. I'm loving :43:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pce

pce New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2012
    Adelaide SA
    First MFT Camera

I too have recently bought a EM5 mainly for use while bush walking in the Australian bush. To date, despite my limited skill I have found it to be great. The user manual is rather 'limited' but if you look hard enough it does seem to include most things. I have found the advice and suggestions here to be very helpful. Thanks to all contributors.
    Peter

• Like Like x 2
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group and thanks for sharing the photos, BKM. Glad you are enjoying the new mini rig!

Welcome to forum, Peter!

• Like Like x 1
  8. BadKarMah

BadKarMah Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Any tips for selling my old equipment? Craigslist? Ebay? Amazon?

9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Craigslist can be a huge hassle, but if you can manage it, its nice not to have pay a cut to a third party.

With Ebay you risk getting less than you hoped--its not uncommon to see a $50 or even $100 different in price for the same item sold less than 12 hours apart.

Wit Amazon you risk it not selling and while you wait your equipment depreciates. Granted that's less of an issue for lenses compared to bodies.

I'd say if the going price on Amazon is close (ideally a little higher) to what you want, put it up there slightly undercutting the other sellers and hope for a quick buy.

Beyond that, well, pick your poison...

• Like Like x 1
  10. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Welcome!

The biggest tip (not that you asked) I have for the E-M5 (or any PEN camera) is to learn those features that you need, use the MYSETS to save them, use the SCP and turn off features like the autosensing viewfinder, turn off the touchscreen by default and change the cursor pad to direct control. These changes removed the annoying "accidentals" I had while carrying the camera as it liked to change the focus point on me.

Setup a couple mysets to a couple of your favorite scenarios (like indoor/outdoor) and take a moment before every session to set the camera to the proper myset. THIS will save you lots of frustration and missed shots.

The E-M5 is a great camera. I've used mine for a couple of months. I love it as it is absolutely perfect :).

• Like Like x 1
  11. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Question Dan, assuming I won't use much flash, what setting worth switching back and forth thru myset when taking indoor/outdoor or when at low light in general. The only setting I play around at low light is ISO but I may have missed other critical setting(s)? Any comments and or recommendation is appreciated. Thank You.