E-M5 MkII users - what should I expect?!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wolfie, Jul 11, 2017.

1. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My E-M1 recently got invaded by saltwater during a fishing trip, and the trying to source a new replacement E-M1 (Mk1) through the insurance is proving almost impossible. So it is beginning to look like a new E-M5 MKII at the same value will be the likely outcome - not that I am too sad - there is the high rez mode to challenge my creative urges.

Wonder if some E-M5 MkII owners could enlighten me on what to expect - especially in comparison to the E-M5 mk1 (still own one). My biggest concern is handling with the 40-150 pro, but assume a bolt on grip could sort that out.

Thanks in advance for your cordial responses!

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Agree.
    The Fotodiox grip is excelent.
    Well designed, light, comfortable and you don't have to remove it to change the batteries.

4. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I don't have this yet, but it is in my basket on amazon and from research its a great value. There's other grips to be sure but I think this offers a nice balance of good usability and price.

5. VSTR61

VSTR61 Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2017
    Perth, Western Australia
    Vic
    I'm new to this format but I'm really enjoying the E-M5 mk2.

I use the Olympus HLD-8G grip without the extra battery pack. I found that it creates a grip similar in size and shape to the E-M1. The rear thumb rest and front grip shape work together really well when holding the camera and 12-40 PRO in one hand. I imagine it would be a huge help with the 40-150 PRO. The Olympus is the most expensive grip but I recommend you try them all.

I've toyed with the high-rez mode and believe it could make for an awesome tool. You just need to pick your time and place and remember to take along your tripod.

I'm not sure about the earlier model but the IBIS in the mark 2 is the best new thing I have tried in years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well I picked up my new Oly this evening - a new camera is always an exciting experience. It is so definitely a more refined machine than the original - especially the two main controls knobs feel even better than the E-M1 IMHO. It had 100 actuations on the clock, came with an extra battery and a Olympus wired remote - no doubt intended for high res tripod work.
    So this her introduction portrait, 12-40 attached, flash and all:
    D9D0103D97F54D4584890BD6042FE897.

And something a bit more in the impressionist style:
    30356A9D4441412C9B3EB22C513A569A.

All in all a very satisfying first meeting, and it came with a spiral bound copy of the camera manual - that should help inspire me to read it thoroughly compared to flicking through a computer file. Got to turn off the default battery saver time out - blooming annoying!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  7. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Congrats on your new baby :)

I'm not as satisfied with the button placement. I do like the left dial with its mode lock button, but the power switch right there is a little more cumbersome then when it was on the back. I felt I could easily switch the camera on and off with one hand, now its a little more effort. As for the two main dials, yeah, that certainly has a better more refined feel.

8. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Agree the on/off switch on top is a bit of a forced reference to the original OM film cameras - in that respect the MkI power switch on the rear is both more accessible and still out of the way.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    And I couldn't let the first day go without my cat, Oly M. Puss posing (okay, slouching) for a portrait in 40 Mega Puss resolution!
    There is just a bit of movement in some fur on the face but the ear hairs are perfectly defined. Along with the incredible detail is the lack of noise at 1600 ISO - I would think if they could do an abbreviated pixel jump of four moves to average out noise even at 16MP output could be a winner ... shot camera & 12-40 Pro on Manfrotto mini tripod

Link to full file

The 1600 pixel version: 4E2DB01934FA43288F5A5B01CA5AA8EF.

Yeah, going to enjoy getting out for some landscape and garden shots tomorrow.

@Phocal@Phocal - if you haven't already, you should try high res on those sedentary reptiles that pose for you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I think the better solution for the ON/OFF dial would be placing it on the right side of the camera, like the Panasonic bodies.
    That way one can switch ON and OFF easily just with your thumb.

12. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    The original EM5 had it on the right side on the rear of the camera and I was able to do that easily. Life is about compromises and adjusting to change, so in the scheme of everything, its a minor issue. Overall I think Olympus has done a great job with the design of the camera and I don't want to sound like I'm picking nits.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I agree with you.
    The EM5 MK II is an excellent camera.
    I like it even more than the EM1.
    It's a true working worse in a small package and can be tiny and portable or adapt a bigger form by attaching a grip.

14. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    It is true the grip is not big and the Fotodox looks great.But every time you make it bigger it gets less of a grab and go camera. If you put a big lens on it,even the 12 -40 mm Oly,I just use my left hand to support the lens in the palm of the hand the small parts of the camera body are easily operated with the fingers. Now if I am using my Canon full frame ,I hold the camera ,like it a was a ham,in the right hand and fire the camera with the touch screen,with the left index finger or the button with the right index finger. I can hold a 400 mm lens with that giant Canon grip. I am not getting a grip for any camera. I just change the technique.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I use that technique with my EM10 that I still didn't get any grip for it.
    When I have a bigger lens attached I support the lens from the bottom with my left hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Aaarrgh - the M5 MkII has no focus stacking, even with firmware 1.2? I was just getting into that on the "1" .

Oh well, there is always something else you wished was on board that is on another model.

17. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Already discovering the pain of running two versions of the M5 - the power on/off position being the first the hurdle tripped over when swopping between the two in a hurry.
    Then the review button.

18. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I like where the review button is on the MKII, I think overall the power button is probably the most questionable design decision. I do think the right side of the camera is crowded with all the dials and Fn buttons but I can easily ignore some of them (most?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. VSTR61

VSTR61 Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2017
    Perth, Western Australia
    Vic
    Location of the switches and buttons made it easy for me to transition from a Canon 5D4. They maybe in slightly different places but they're on the same side and not hard to find. I adjusted quickly. Still bloody small though.

I think that the size of the E-M5II allows for use in more than one fashion. If the preference is for smaller lenses up to the size of the O45 then no grip is necessary. If you must use the big-ass PRO lenses with one hand, the grip is going to help keep the package firmly in your grasp. I like this body, one minute it's a poor-man's E-M1II, the next, a big-boy's E-M10II.

Love my grip. I'm not exactly huge but it allows me to use the larger lenses in a confident manner.

20. VSTR61

VSTR61 Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2017
    Perth, Western Australia
    Vic
    I think we could have got away with just two buttons on the top. I use the switch to change between AF and MF.