E-M5 mkII froze up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RJNear, Mar 29, 2015.

1. RJNear

RJNear Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Upstate NY
    R.J. Near
    I was out shooting with my Olympus E-M5 mk-II taking photos in rather high rate of speed (but not using continuous setting) when after a shot the camera froze up. It was displaying the last photo taken on rear screen and when I powered down camera with switch it kept displaying image. I then pulled battery from camera to get it powered down and then once battery was put back in it has been working fine. It was a sunny morning with temps at 18 degrees, all images taken are on SD card and downloaded fine.

Wondering if anyone else had run into this with their E-M5 mk-II?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It'll be a software crash. These things are complex real-time computers. Sometimes they crash due to bugs - it happens. The E-M1 had notoriously buggy firmware in the early days of its release. It's much more stable now. I suspect the E-M5ii will improve with firmware 1.1.

3. RJNear

RJNear Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Upstate NY
    R.J. Near
    OK so it is not just me, thanks for info and will keep eye open for new firmware.

4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    If it helps, the infotainment system on my car locks up occasionally too. This is the world we live in...

5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Something similar but a bit worse happened with my E-P5 and I had a tantrum about it on this forum. The answer was changing the SD card and tuning off the sleep option. Keep in mind for the next time this happens.