E-M5 Mk2 vs G7 for Fast/Accurate AF

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by wilvoeka, Feb 21, 2016.

1. G7

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. E-M5 II

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No Differance

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I am on a budget and getting into a 4/3 system. I am trying to decide between the EM5 2 and the G7.

The IBIS of the EM-5 is tempting as is the ability to add the battery grip. I am looking for a Stills camera that does video(Video is not a top priority but it will be used). The G7 has the 4K video and 4K photo modes which may be use full. The G7 also has the ability to move focus points with the touch screen while looking through the EFV.

I mainly shoot pets(for rescues and shelters) I am thinking the only thing that will push one over the other is the AF performance. Does one have a clear edge in speed and accuracy in focusing?

I have watched countless Youtube videos and read dozens of reviews and forums posts, but haven't seen anything really comparing the AF performance between these two cameras. So I am asking here to see what the consensus is.

**EDIT**
    I should also add that the lenses I am looking to get are the Oly 25mm 1.8/ Oly 75mm maybe in the future a 40-150 2.8. There are some other lenses but since these are Olympus that kind of negates the DFD focus of the G7(Panasonic states the DFD only works with Panasonic G lenses), how much of an impact will that make in real world performance

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I gave my vote to G7 because of DfD, but that, as you said, works only with Panasonic lenses.

Then it depends if you are talking about S-AF or C-AF: DfD should allow to make big focus jumps, but I think it helps less with continuous focus. Then it depends on the lens. This is why it is so hard to find a simple answer.

Why not the E-M1? Price is about the same.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

Are the animals going to be running?

If so, get the G7 (or GX8 or EM-1).

If not, shouldn't be a noticeable difference for S-AF on non-running subjects.

Barry

4. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Get the G7 for AF. The DFD is simply superb contrast based AF.

5. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Here is a link to my Flickr, you can see what 90% of what I do looks like.
    Jim B

6. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Looks pretty straightforward to me.

What is your current system, and what don't you like about it?

7. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    For video, EM5 is not the best...EM1 is also not top notch. If I were starting out today, I would go Panasonic G7 or GX8 (depending on funding) with Panasonic lenses. EM1 is not better than any of these for stills and they both beat the EM1 for video.

Also I would go for Panasonic in expectation of the new 100-400 because olympus 300 f4 is just to expensive for me.

Good luck.

8. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I would think, that using Panasonic lenses you would probably benefit more from the G7. You could use the P25 instead of the O25 (I think they are still available through some outlets). The O75 however does not have a panasonic equivalent. If you are set on the lenses go with the EM5 because you will want the IBIS and won't benefit from the DFD. Without DFD focus is probably equal on both, so the IBIS wins it on unstabelized lenses for video and stills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I have no current set up, because of a financial crunch a while back I let all my gear go. But I used a Nikon D700 and 50mm for almost everything you saw on my flickr page. What I liked most about it was that it worked(Un like the Canon gear I had been using for a decade before)

I am not looking to do a lot of "action" shooting, but dogs rarely sit still for long(esp. shelter dogs that dont get a lot of time out of their kennels) So I want something that is fast and accurate to get the shots when there is very little time to get them.

With the D700 it was always in Continuous Focus mode. I would try to get the dog into a decent spot start tracking their head with the C-AF and then make a noise with a squeaker or my mouth and when they stopped and looked at me I would quickly place my focus point over their eye and fire a couple of shots. I wouldn't be tracking large movements, but just enough to keep the focus in the area around their head so when I got them to look at me the camera could quickly focus on the eyes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  10. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Either camera would be fine; just avoid the lenses with potential slow focus.

Barry

11. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I would simply take Panny DFD over Oly contrast detection. If your considering Oly I'd only buy the E-M1 due to the contrast/phase detect hybrid AF. This is where I wish I did not own an E-M5 and GH3 due to contrast detection.

If your coming from a Nikon D700 don't kid yourself thinking the M43 will be as accurate and consistent.

To maximize your IQ with an Panny M43 zoom I'd suggest the 12-35mm $$$ This is where you can buy M43 primes and be on par with a nikon crop sensor dslr.

Since we are in a forum "this and that" just curious if you've looked at a cheap Sony A6000? It's incredible in AF and good video. Several lenses should cover most photographer's needs.

12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    If you're used to using the D700 with Continous focus mode using 51 AF point 3D tracking, then the clear choice would be the Panasonic G7. It is one of the 2 latest m43 cameras, the GX-8 being the other, that has 3D AF tracking with DFD similar to the Nikon D700/D3. I was told GH-4 does not have 3D AF tracking. I was so impressed! I tested it and it worked very similar to the D700 as I'm a Nikon shooter before by trade. The E-M5 II was not even a close match and was breathing crazy in and out loosing more shots than the G7. This was the test I conducted side by side with E-M5 II with 14-42 kit lens and G7 with 14-42 Panasonic kit lens on moving subjects when I was with the Olympus and Panasonic reps. The G7 also have 4K burst mode, but afixed to 1/100sec or 1/125 sec for shutter speed only. It will capture insane amount of frames so nothing will be missed if the dogs are moving unpredictably.
    The only downside to the G7 is that, it doesn't have the 5 axis IBIS that E-M5II has, but neither does the D700. You need to rely the OIS in Panasonic lenses like you would with VR on Nikon lenses. DFD 3D tracking only works with Panasonic lenses and since I own all Panasonic primes and pro zooms, the G7 to me was a better match than the E-M1 if I want an action body with 3D AF tracking. But if I want the best, the GX8 with its dual IS, 20MP and weather sealing would be my dream. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I would say that since Micro Four Thirds has incredibly fast Single-AF speed (faster than the large majority of DSLRs on the market), that is what you should use for that kind of posed shooting. Even if the dogs are moving a little, it won't be a problem for either camera, the Single-AF tends to focus literally as quickly as you can press the shutter button.

Continuous / tracking autofocus is really a concern when you have something moving rapidly across the frame, usually towards you. I wouldn't worry about it for those kinds of images.

So really, just get whichever body and lenses feel best in your hand, or suit your budget best!

• Agree Agree x 1