E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
The few downsides compared to my E-M10 are 1) the extra bulk and 2) the non customizable mode dial.
When you say "extra bulk," what are you referring to? Just the fact that the built-in grip is fatter (from what I have read)? Or is it actually a larger camera? This is an important criteria for me (although I'll probably get one anyway).

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Every dimension of the camera is a little more than on my E-M10.
A little taller, a little wider, a little more depth, and a grip a little bigger.
Each one separately would have been negligible but the sum of all this makes it a little bulkier.

However, it still fits in my camera bags (where the em1 mk2 doesn't fit).

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
[removed video from quote]
Echoes my thoughts as well, but I don't feel that strongly about the metal body, I think the files that come out of it are fine up to and including ISO 6400 (I don't pixel peep at 200 % in LR.), also I don't really do video.

Real Name
M@

I watched that just yesterday. I commented that I think the addition of AutoISO in video when using M mode would pretty much make video perfect for me. It's not the perfect video/vlogging camera, but it's pretty much good enough for almost anyone. As an all-around shooter, I think it's pretty damn good. I think I'll be happy with mine.

The only other thing I'd like is to have the screen show the face tracking box while recording video. Once you start recording, the box disappears.

I shot some stills and video of my brother in law's band playing a show. With the 12-40 f/2.8, even at ISO 6400, most of the stills came out blurred... band members move around too much! The video came out pretty decent, tho. Yeah, there's noise, and the focus did hunt a little from time to time, but overall it came out pretty good.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
And also remove the 30 minute limit on a single recording.

That's a weird one, but saw one comment saying there is bigger tax in some places for video cameras than still and that is the reason for it. Not sure what to believe, it's odd limitation if there is no legal basis for it anymore. Can anyone confirm?

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's a weird one, but saw one comment saying there is bigger tax in some places for video cameras than still and that is the reason for it. Not sure what to believe, it's odd limitation if there is no legal basis for it anymore. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, in the European Union, if a camera shot at least VGA video for at least 30 minutes, it was classified as a video camera, and subject to a higher import tax.

So mid range Panasonic cameras often came in two models, the European version that limited videos to under 30 minutes, and defaulted to PAL defaults (videos were 25fps or 50fps). The USA version typically did not limit videos and defaulted to NTSC defaults (30fps or 60fps). Though on some cameras the limit was a video was limited to a single 4GB file. Newer cameras will automatically split a video into separate files for 1080p and if you are recording a 4K video on a large card, keep it as one file. The exception is the G9, which does not have separate USA/Europe models, and always limits video to under 30 minutes and the GH5/GH5S where Panasonic paid the tax to be unlimited world-wide.

All Olympus cameras limit their video to under 30 minutes.

Evidently the tariff went away last summer. I was greatly disappointed that the E-m5 mark III did not change the limit in the camera. I record a couple of shows (mostly as a hobby project) and I want to record the whole show (1.5 hours) continuously and break it up into segments later during post processing. I had been hoping to replace the G85 that I use for the recording with the E-m5 mark III, but there is still the limit.

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Yes, in the European Union, if a camera shot at least VGA video for at least 30 minutes, it was classified as a video camera, and subject to a higher import tax.

So mid range Panasonic cameras often came in two models, the European version that limited videos to under 30 minutes, and defaulted to PAL defaults (videos were 25fps or 50fps). The USA version typically did not limit videos and defaulted to NTSC defaults (30fps or 60fps). Though on some cameras the limit was a video was limited to a single 4GB file. Newer cameras will automatically split a video into separate files for 1080p and if you are recording a 4K video on a large card, keep it as one file. The exception is the G9, which does not have separate USA/Europe models, and always limits video to under 30 minutes and the GH5/GH5S where Panasonic paid the tax to be unlimited world-wide.

All Olympus cameras limit their video to under 30 minutes.

Evidently the tariff went away last summer. I was greatly disappointed that the E-m5 mark III did not change the limit in the camera. I record a couple of shows (mostly as a hobby project) and I want to record the whole show (1.5 hours) continuously and break it up into segments later during post processing. I had been hoping to replace the G85 that I use for the recording with the E-m5 mark III, but there is still the limit.

So the tax went away, not any legal things about it? It's really weird why Olympus does this limiting. E-M5 III would be a truly great video camera. Do they plan to release GH-series competitor later or what? I doubt it.

Maybe they keep it as an upgrade path for E-M1 III. Does E-M1 II have this same issue?

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So the tax went away, not any legal things about it? It's really weird why Olympus does this limiting. E-M5 III would be a truly great video camera. Do they plan to release GH-series competitor later or what? I doubt it.

Maybe they keep it as an upgrade path for E-M1 III. Does E-M1 II have this same issue?
My take (as a software engineer) is that Olympus reuses the same firmware from body to body, tweaking it to add new features in the new body. Not a surprise, just about every manufacturer does this.

It would take more work to eliminate the 30 minute limit than it would be to keep it and hope nobody really complains. You have to get management to allocate the necessary resources to do this change, possibly hire extra people. In addition to coding, it involves testing to make sure you didn't break anything.

That being said the forum user Abel has done these changes on other Olympus cameras with varying degrees of success. It may be that he needs at least one firmware update to the E-m5 mark III so he can get the raw firmware to modify. Unfortunately, I looked at the user profile, and it looks like Abel hasn't posted since June:

Last edited:

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The conclusion seems quite fair...
It's a solid (but unimpressive) performer, which is totally fine for me.

I'm glad the "face detect not taken into account with the 1-2 lever" is highlighted... so I have (small) hope it will be addressed in a future firmware:
"We reached out to Olympus with this information, and while they cannot comment on future firmware update plans, they did say that user feedback will be considered as they make decisions related to lever function improvements. "

The most deceptive point for me is the "Unimpressive continuous autofocus and tracking performance".
It matches my current conclusions (still better than my E-M10), but I was hoping it's because I don't know yet how to use it properly.

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Sure its not at Sony level but i dont know why they get so bad result in their test, so far im quite impressed with the AF-C on my E-M1 MarkII.

Last edited:

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sure its not at Sony level but i dont know why they get so bad result in their test, im quite impressed so far with the AF-C on my E-M1 MarkII.

So far, I seem to get better AF-C with my E-M1 II than I get with my E-M5 III. It has been billed as the same firmware, but something is different. It is way better than my E-M10 II or my Pen F, but doesn’t seem as solid as my E-M 1 II. I’m hoping it is just me needing to get used to the “rhythm” of this particular model.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So far, I seem to get better AF-C with my E-M1 II than I get with my E-M5 III. It has been billed as the same firmware, but something is different. It is way better than my E-M10 II or my Pen F, but doesn’t seem as solid as my E-M 1 II. I’m hoping it is just me needing to get used to the “rhythm” of this particular model.
Update....
Another outing today and things are working better. I used my PL100-400 and the day was overcast and very windy. As long as I kept my shutter speed up, (1/4000 sec) I was getting 5/5 shots in focus with flowers blowing like stink. The ISO did climb to 2500 but there was very little noise in the shots (LSF JPEGS, and Raws converted via Workspace) that only a small nudge to the noise reduction took care of. Bifs were more of a problem, but with the entire day being low contrast, the birds being white pelicans, and long distance at 400mm, there was not a lot of contrast for the camera to work with.

I'm still more comfortable with the E-M1 II, but am a lot more encouraged after todays results.

PC122263.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Hi Gary. I've been reading your impressions of the new E-M5III. I have an E-M10II and am considering upgrading to the 5III very soon, so your findings are interesting to me. Since the 5III seems to be a good upgrade from the 10II, I'm almost definitely going to do it, probably in a few months.

I'm actually kind of waiting till they shake out some of the bugs - e.g when will the first button fall off, I wonder! ;) Do you think this is foolish? I mean, maybe I should just buy right now, if a few months won't matter as far as them actually fixing problems. Since you already bought one, maybe I have my answer!

I am also considering getting a PL 100-400, which I see you have and have been testing with the 5III. My situation is that for wildlife I have a Canon 80D and the famously great 400mm f5.6. I even have a matched Canon 1.4 converter to get me more magnification, although I haven't used it much. So, of course, the question is - can the 5III plus PL 100-400 come close to matching such a setup?

I doubt if the m43 setup of 5III plus PL100-400 could match the fast focusing of the Canon setup I have, or even the image quality, but if it were CLOSE ENOUGH, I might consider taking the plunge and then getting rid of my Canon stuff. I am tired of lugging around that big camera and bigger lens.

So, is the PL 100-400 say very good at 400? I have read that it gets kind of soft after about 300, which is NOT good enough for me. I mean, I don't want to take a big downgrade on the IQ at high mag.

Also, I do worry about all the talk about the stiff zoom ring. What's up with that?? I suppose it's for weather-sealing, but can't they fix it after being out for several years now? I also hear that it's VERY tight to mount on some cameras, but this seems to vary by individual cameras and lenses, so maybe your experience wouldn't match.

Also, of course, there is talk about Oly bringing a similar lens out soon. I can imagine that it would be larger, since they seem to have a fixation about making their high-grade lenses very fast too, which results in monstrosities, which annoys me GREATLY. The concept of high-grade, but not super fast (like my wonderful Canon 400 f5.6) seems to be beyond Oly's thinking. Also, it will probably cost a fortune (agian, unlike my Canon 400 - only about $1200).

Anyway, any words of wisdom you can send my way would be greatly appreciated. :)

(I tried to send this as a private message, but it's too long. Jeeezzz. So everyone has to read it. Well, maybe others will be interested too...)

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi Rich,

I bought the E-M5 III explicitly as the upgrade to my E-M10 II, and have not been disappointed. I have owned about a half dozen or so Olympus camera bodies and only had one mechanical failure (strap lug failed on my E-M1). I expect this one to retain its buttons and dials nicely... but, anything is possible.

My wife and I both shoot with the PL100-400. Mine has been a bit sharper when I back off from full zoom just a pinch (shows 367mm in EVF), but my wife’s copy is sharp all the way to 400mm. Early shooting with the PL100-400 on the 5.3 is getting very good results at 400mm, however.

I have friends that shoot both Olympus and FF Canon, mostly 1D, and 5D (20 of my 60 member camera club have either switched to or added E-M1 II kits in the last 18 months), and most would attest that they prefer the Olympus.....with the exception of shooting fast, small birds in flight, where they sill think the Canon DSLR has an edge. However, I actually have not seen one of them out with their Canon gear since opting into the Olympus gear.

Long lenses of choice for these converts are either the 40-150 pro + 1.4 or 2.0 TC, or the 300 f/4.My hands on experience is that both the 40-150 and the 300 may be “very” slightly more sharp than my 100-400, that advantage completely disappeared once either of the teleconverters was added to either of the Olympus lenses, and my 100-400 bested them easily.

Hope this helps a bit.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Hi Gary. I've been reading your impressions of the new E-M5III. I have an E-M10II and am considering upgrading to the 5III very soon, so your findings are interesting to me. Since the 5III seems to be a good upgrade from the 10II, I'm almost definitely going to do it, probably in a few months.

I'm actually kind of waiting till they shake out some of the bugs - e.g when will the first button fall off, I wonder! ;) Do you think this is foolish? I mean, maybe I should just buy right now, if a few months won't matter as far as them actually fixing problems. Since you already bought one, maybe I have my answer!

I am also considering getting a PL 100-400, which I see you have and have been testing with the 5III. My situation is that for wildlife I have a Canon 80D and the famously great 400mm f5.6. I even have a matched Canon 1.4 converter to get me more magnification, although I haven't used it much. So, of course, the question is - can the 5III plus PL 100-400 come close to matching such a setup?

I doubt if the m43 setup of 5III plus PL100-400 could match the fast focusing of the Canon setup I have, or even the image quality, but if it were CLOSE ENOUGH, I might consider taking the plunge and then getting rid of my Canon stuff. I am tired of lugging around that big camera and bigger lens.

So, is the PL 100-400 say very good at 400? I have read that it gets kind of soft after about 300, which is NOT good enough for me. I mean, I don't want to take a big downgrade on the IQ at high mag.

Also, I do worry about all the talk about the stiff zoom ring. What's up with that?? I suppose it's for weather-sealing, but can't they fix it after being out for several years now? I also hear that it's VERY tight to mount on some cameras, but this seems to vary by individual cameras and lenses, so maybe your experience wouldn't match.

Also, of course, there is talk about Oly bringing a similar lens out soon. I can imagine that it would be larger, since they seem to have a fixation about making their high-grade lenses very fast too, which results in monstrosities, which annoys me GREATLY. The concept of high-grade, but not super fast (like my wonderful Canon 400 f5.6) seems to be beyond Oly's thinking. Also, it will probably cost a fortune (agian, unlike my Canon 400 - only about $1200).

Anyway, any words of wisdom you can send my way would be greatly appreciated. :)

(I tried to send this as a private message, but it's too long. Jeeezzz. So everyone has to read it. Well, maybe others will be interested too...)

I would wait for the Olympus 100-400mm to get Sync IS and not worry about the PL problems.

In the meanwhile you could maybe adapt your Canon lens? Does PDAF help with adapted lenses?

Olympus lens will have worse base f-stop (was it 4.0 vs 4.5, so doesn't affect the long end?) so will likely be a bit smaller or better optically?

Latest threads

Top Bottom