E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
what!?!? You cannot assign custom modes for these positions?!?!?
I always have a P based custom myset assigned to iAuto for fast no thinking shooting the way I want (PASM or on-the-go made mysets used when I have any brainpower to spare) and now I am stuck with what Olympus thinks as optimum iAuto settings??? If so this detail is a big issue for me
Olympus abandonned it for the Pen-F, E-M1 mk II, E-M1X.

Not sure about how it works on E-m10 mkIII...

I never understand where there was no possibility to customize the mode dial on a digital camera... until I bought my E-M10.
The idea was probably too good to last long.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
I never understand where there was no possibility to customize the mode dial on a digital camera... until I bought my E-M10.
The idea was probably too good to last long.
I first encountered and happily used custom mysets on the main dial positions on my former E-PL5 and I thought it is standard behavior for Olympus bodies - I must first verify before buying any new body, duh!

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
It seems than on E-M10 mk III, there are no mysets nor custom modes... I didn't think it was possible...

It's true, and they'd prove very useful in light of some simplifications in advanced shooting modes. All of them, including some useful features that aren't available under regular PASM modes like focus stacking, exposure stacking, silent shutter, reset most settings to default value as you enter them. Picture mode will default to vivid, s-af focus mode, eye focus priority, esp metering, full af pixel array, auto wb... Pretty much only thing that it'll remember is aspect ratio. I'll have to change at least picture mode and set s-af to s-af(mf), and reduce af point to centre, whenever I'll enter one of them. This will happen every time that I'll move from one ap mode to the other! Only saving grace is that camera remembers settings when you turn cam off and back on while in ap mode.

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Thought i would buy the E-M5 MarkIII but after have tried it in store i change my mind....
The size and weight difference was not that big between E-M5 MarkIII and E-M1 MarkII, especially with the extra grip attached on E-M5 MarkIII plus the build/feel of the camera did not really "speak" to me.
So i went with the E-M1 MarkII instead as Olympus have a winter cash back campain going on here in Sweden on the E-M1 MarkII....so with the cash back its cheaper than the E-M5 MarkIII.

Last edited:

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just received my E-M5 mk III.
I just made a few tests but I find the lens mount very, very tight.
Is it something general on this model?

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's tighter on some lenses, whatever the brand.
For instance my Oly 25 mm f/1.2 fits more smoothly. The worse lenses are my P12-32 and Oly 17 f/1.8.
I already had a tight mount with my E-M10...
This is even tighter (but my E-M10 is 5 years old).

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mine is tight on the 12-40 Pro, the 25 1.8 and the 14-42 EZ. I’m hoping it is just that the weather seal is new and it will loosen a bit with use.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've handled at least 4 different lenses when trying out the mk3, none of them were too tight or too loose. Just perfect. Could maybe be your lenses to blame if they are tight on other bodies as well?

delkhouri

Mu-43 Regular
I’m still really disappointed with the $1200 price point. If I want an Olympus body that has come out in the last 3-4 years for under $1000 then I am out of luck. There just isn’t one. You would think that with a (less expensive) plastic body that they could have hit that $1000 price point. I can go out and buy a Fuji xt-30 for $799. No it doesn’t have ibis or weather sealing but all the other specs are at least equal but often better. And it’s $400 less!!!!!

Other completion includes:
Sony a6400 $899/$999 with kit
Nikon z50 $859/$999 with kit
Canon eos RP $1k

I might take a dive into the Fuji system but I will miss my current lenses or more specifically it will cost me a lot to adequately replace them.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've handled at least 4 different lenses when trying out the mk3, none of them were too tight or too loose. Just perfect. Could maybe be your lenses to blame if they are tight on other bodies as well?

No, all are smooth on my other 3 Olympus bodies.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I'm using 3 myset modes and never get into the menus for it.
A custom mode has to be selectable quickly on the field, otherwise it's useless (at least for me).

Yes, only one. For an enthusiast level camera, this is surprising. I've looked at all the cameras available on the Paris photo show (Oly, Panny, Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji) and it's rare to have a camera of this level with only one custom mode.
In general, only the entry level camera has 1 custom mode (and most of the time, you can still select several modes from the only position, which is not a very good implementation imho, but still better than here)

You may dislike the way it worked, but there were 4 positions of you choice available.

On the E-M5 mk III, there are a few positions I know I'll never use: Auto, SCN, ART.
(I could also add video but that makes sense to have a dedicated position for it, so I'm not counting it as useless).
There also could have been an option to customize the B mode, that I won't use much.

The mode dial on the Pen-F is much better (but it doesn't have phase AF + I hate the handling).

There is a lot to customize on the E-M5 mk III but some limitations on the customization are strange.
Why is there no way, for instance, to have a button to set face priority ON/OFF?
Even the lever 1/2 does not remember the face priority option.
I've used Olympus m43 cameras from 2012 and a key feature for me has been the ability to have custom mode dial settings. Ignoring the labels, it's been 4 right from the EP range, until the EM1.2 where it mysteriously dropped to 3 (which constantly frustrates me - I NEED four). The Pen F is the best with its labelled C1-C4 positions, but I'm ok with reassigning the useless SCN etc positions on the other cameras.

I'm amazed that they've dropped this capability on the EM5.3. I've probably never been a likely buyer of it TBH, but if I were, this would be a show stopper.

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
I’m still really disappointed with the $1200 price point. If I want an Olympus body that has come out in the last 3-4 years for under $1000 then I am out of luck. There just isn’t one. You would think that with a (less expensive) plastic body that they could have hit that $1000 price point. I can go out and buy a Fuji xt-30 for $799. No it doesn’t have ibis or weather sealing but all the other specs are at least equal but often better. And it’s $400 less!!!!!

Canon eos RP $1k

I might take a dive into the Fuji system but I will miss my current lenses or more specifically it will cost me a lot to adequately replace them.

Yes its priced quite high, but it might drop little in price after a while. Olympus have aways been priced a bit higher than comparable cameras from other companies. Personally i dont buy a camera/invest in a system bases on wich camera that gives best the spec for the money.

Personally i would choose E-M5 MarkIII over X-T30...better ergos, better view finder and IBIS and overall a more fun camera to shoot with.

With Sony there arent many really good APS-C lenses..i hated the ergos when i where shooting with Sony(loved the ergos on the A-mount cameras though).

Havent handle Nikon Z50 but its seams to be a really nicely put together body but not many APS-C z-mount lenses available at the moment.

Yes the RP is FF but that camera is really low spec and quite boring to shoot with and the sensor in it isnt that good for being FF.

What lenses do you have today and which lenses are you planning to buy?

Have you tested/handle the cameras?

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku

Canon eos RP $1k

Fuji is an option, but I wonder if they can ever put the IBIS in much smaller body than X-H1.

For you the best option would be to buy a used E-M1 II. Also, I just bought used PEN-F for 550 euros, it fits your time frame. GX9 is also similar cost and Panasonic has some advantages. I think these two cameras compliment each other well.

Olympus won't give their PDAF pro level sensor under 1000 € new for a long time I think. Luckily its not that important to me. I can now wait for the next generation to try them. The older cameras are still great for normal stills photography (I don't do much video.)

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't know when Olympus introduced the "custom timer" drive mode but I like it.
I also like the additional buttons compared to my E-M10.
Most of the basic functions are well chosen (drive mode, ISO, exposure comp, AEL) so I just customized the Rec button, the EVF one and the Preview.
I have enough functions to be able to keep the pad only as an AF point selecter.

I also like the "home point" functionnality that allows to alternate quickly between 2 focus setups. (In addition to the 1/2 Lever which is also useful - I had doubts but the implementation is good).

The only things I miss:
- having the "face priority" option stored when using the lever or the home point function.
- a separate AEL and AFL button in MF mode. I choose the setting where AEL/AFL button works as focus in MF mode (which is very useful on a tripod) but I have no AEL button anymore.

Compared to my E-M10, a lot of other improvements:
- exposure compensation in M mode is a real plus (I use a lot M + iso auto, that should get a dedicated position on the mode dial... like Pentax TAv)
- the lockable mode dial
- silent mode
- the SD card door on the side
- the AF Area Pointer in mode2 is nice. I tested other camera brands (like Panasonic & Sony) and liked this type of visualization of the AF points. Didn't know it was possible on an Oly body. Nice. More AF Points would be useful, though.

Reading some posts explaining how to configure the E-M1 mk II also helped me discover some options that were already available on my E-M10 but didn't know about.
Like configuring the AEL button in spot metering when I use the matrix metering for "normal" pictures. And at the focus point. That makes sense.

The few downsides compared to my E-M10 are 1) the extra bulk and 2) the non customizable mode dial.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some additional comments:
- I still don't have a conclusion on the articulated screen. I have a preference for the tilt screen, but it's not bad... I like using the camera with the screen hidden, a incitation to use the EVF.
- the EVF is bigger than on the E-M10 but I find it a little deceptive up to now. I don't know why. Maybe because of the eyecup? I find the animation not completely natural, like if there was fewer fps.
- the French translation in the menus is bad. I had to switch it in English to understand what options I was choosing. The worse one is "MF Clutch" which is translated by "Activation MM" (with no useful explaination with "Info").
- I don't get why the On/Off lever position gets so much critics... I find it easy to find, as all other controls. Seems fragile though.
- even if it looks cheaper than my E-M10 (I bought it in black... silver looked worse) and that the grip material feels cheaper too... all the rest of the camera feels better build (except the On/Off lever :) )

Latest threads

Top Bottom