E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So how is that worse than having to turn the dial on the E-M5III to the Custom mode and then going into the menu to pick which one you want?
Because you can't.
There is no option to access custom modes 2 & 3 from the C position on the dial.
The *only* way to access them is through the menus, and the mode (P S A M) is not part of the recalled settings.

My GM5 has only 1 custom mode position on the dial... but you can then select which one you want (out of 3) and it remembers your last choice...
It's not ideal, but that would have been much better than what we have here...

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
Thanks, I'd forgotten about EXIFtool. The reason I mentioned modifying Lightroom is that I'd rather not tweak the files in case in the future I try to use them with something that does have good E-M5 III support. DNG is indeed an option too, but it doubles my storage requirements, which kind of stinks.
don't forget that when it's inserting the new model name, ExifTool make a copy of the original file. So you end up with the original raw (renamed to .orf.original or similar), and the modified orf. The drawback of course is that it doubles your storage size. But yes, if there was a hex hack of sorts, that would be ideal.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Because you can't.
There is no option to access custom modes 2 & 3 from the C position on the dial.
The *only* way to access them is through the menus, and the mode (P S A M) is not part of the recalled settings.

My GM5 has only 1 custom mode position on the dial... but you can then select which one you want (out of 3) and it remembers your last choice...

Okay wow, they made it that bad? :confused: Now I'm thinking should I buy PEN-F then, would cost half the price of E-M5 III. I found out it uses the same battery too.

Edit: This review cheated me saying PEN-F has same battery as E-M10 II, nevermind... :mad:

"The camera uses the BLS-50 battery, the same battery that is found in the Olympus PEN-F, and E-M10 series, which gives the camera a slightly smaller battery, helping reduce the weight. The camera still offers a similar battery life, of 310 shots (110minutes of movie recording), but adds in USB charging support, and with power saving mode active is said to offer up to double the battery life. The E-M5 and E-M5 II use the BLN-1. " https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-iii-review-34121

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
It seems Olympus doesn't have MySets anymore in their cameras? And you can configure only one Custom mode to mode dial? This is quite horrible. I don't use many of those mode dial options so MySets with my E-M10 II have been great.

I sent email about this to Olympus. I'm wondering if others who find it important would do the same? It's ridiculous, this camera is not cheap model.

I'm thinking if I should buy another E-M10 II with good price, because my current one has almost 40k shutter count and I love the camera. I would get another battery and can wait if Olympus comes to their senses and if E-M5 III price drops enough to make me ignore this nonsense.
I will be sending some feedback to them soon and will add that to my list. ;)

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Because you can't.

I'm not misunderstanding how it works, I don't think, SojiOkita. I just don't find it all that objectionable. I mean, on the E-M10, to go into ANY of the Mysets, you MUST go into the menu (unless you want to use a poorly named dial position, which I mentioned that I do not like doing).

So now, on the E-M5III, yes, have to go into the menu to choose anything but the first Myset. But if you only want the 1st, then you do NOT have to go to the menu - just use the new mode dial C position. So, in other words, the E-M5III has a DEDICATED mode dial position to invoke the first Myset. The E-M10 has no such mode dial position (you have to customize some other dial position, which, as I said, I dislike).

I agree that it would be better if it still retained the ability to reprogram the other dial mode positions to be Mysets. It would also be really nice if the C position remebered the last one you used. But it IS nice to have a dedicated custom dial position, IMHO.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I'm not misunderstanding how it works, I don't think, SojiOkita. I just don't find it all that objectionable. I mean, on the E-M10, to go into ANY of the Mysets, you MUST go into the menu (unless you want to use a poorly named dial position, which I mentioned that I do not like doing).

So now, on the E-M5III, yes, have to go into the menu to choose anything but the first Myset. But if you only want the 1st, then you do NOT have to go to the menu - just use the new mode dial C position. So, in other words, the E-M5III has a DEDICATED mode dial position to invoke the first Myset. The E-M10 has no such mode dial position (you have to customize some other dial position, which, as I said, I dislike).

I agree that it would be better if it still retained the ability to reprogram the other dial mode positions to be Mysets. It would also be really nice if the C position remebered the last one you used. But it IS nice to have a dedicated custom dial position, IMHO.

I don't understand how hard it is to remember you changed for example "Art" dial mode to your "Custom 1" whatever that is. The difference is "C" compared to "Art". That is different 3 letters. It's weird you say "you MUST go in to menu" when clearly I don't. I can start with iAuto as being C1, next one being C2 etc. SCN can remind of "Scene" being tripod landscape settings without IBIS.

But anyway it seems the argument is about a slightly different perspective and we agree it could be better and they have already designed the software so wtf. My GX9 has one C in the dial and it's okay way to do it, but taking options out is not good.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
It's weird you say "you MUST go in to menu" when clearly I don't.
I agree that there's not much difference between remembering C and Art. I guess it's just me. :thumbsup: But it's not weird that I say you MUST go in to menu" when I say RIGHT AFTER THAT "(unless you want to use a poorly named dial position...)."

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm using 3 myset modes and never get into the menus for it.
A custom mode has to be selectable quickly on the field, otherwise it's useless (at least for me).

So now, on the E-M5III, yes, have to go into the menu to choose anything but the first Myset. But if you only want the 1st, then you do NOT have to go to the menu - just use the new mode dial C position. So, in other words, the E-M5III has a DEDICATED mode dial position to invoke the first Myset.
Yes, only one. For an enthusiast level camera, this is surprising. I've looked at all the cameras available on the Paris photo show (Oly, Panny, Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji) and it's rare to have a camera of this level with only one custom mode.
In general, only the entry level camera has 1 custom mode (and most of the time, you can still select several modes from the only position, which is not a very good implementation imho, but still better than here)

The E-M10 has no such mode dial position (you have to customize some other dial position, which, as I said, I dislike).
You may dislike the way it worked, but there were 4 positions of you choice available.

On the E-M5 mk III, there are a few positions I know I'll never use: Auto, SCN, ART.
(I could also add video but that makes sense to have a dedicated position for it, so I'm not counting it as useless).
There also could have been an option to customize the B mode, that I won't use much.

The mode dial on the Pen-F is much better (but it doesn't have phase AF + I hate the handling).

There is a lot to customize on the E-M5 mk III but some limitations on the customization are strange.
Why is there no way, for instance, to have a button to set face priority ON/OFF?
Even the lever 1/2 does not remember the face priority option.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Seems like a total package. Drooling for one, but will likely opt for 400 euro E-M5 II as an upgrade. Not sure I need the PDAF, 20MP nice for macro especially, but not a must. I can buy it after 4 years. :)

"Looking at the competition, it’s not really possible to find an APS-C camera with quite the same blend of benefits. Fujifilm’s X-T30 is an equally lovely small camera but has neither weather-sealing nor IBIS, and while Sony’s A6500 and A6600 are similar in size to the E-M5 III and benefit from IBIS, they suffer from a horribly out-dated design and user interface. Meanwhile Canon and Nikon are both trailing far behind in terms of lens range. In fact the closest rival overall is another Micro Four Thirds model, the Panasonic Lumix G90, but it’s bulkier and lacks the E-M5 III’s undeniable retro charm.

So while the market is now more crowded than when its predecessor appeared, the E-M5 III still finds its own distinct niche. There’s plenty here to tempt existing E-M5 or E-M10 series owners to update, and it’s also an interesting option for anyone looking for a more portable alternative to a DSLR system. If you like the sound of a camera that’s small, handles well and gives attractive images, and value usability above staring at pixels onscreen, it should certainly be high on your shortlist."

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compactsystemcameras/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-iii

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Also, any APC-C mirrorless camera system like the Fuji or Sony is going to have much larger lenses compared to most of the m43 lenses except some of the fastest pro lenses.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
"If you like the sound of a camera that’s small, handles well and gives attractive images, and value usability above staring at pixels onscreen, it should certainly be high on your shortlist."
Yes that's why I'm getting it, even if it's not perfect (mainly only 1 custom mode, eye tracking not as good as sony's, cheap feeling, articulated screen instead of tilting screen).

There's no such thing as a perfect camera anyway, this one seems to be the best compromise for me - and a nice upgrade from my E-M10.

Catch22nm

Mu-43 Regular
I received my MKIII on Monday and am loving it so far, it feels solid and good in the hand, I love the shutter click, it more of a solid thump than the MKII, I am pleasantly surprised that the grip is actually good enough that I am not wanting the extended grip like I did with my EM5 MKII. As far as the metal thing so far I think I will be perfectly content with polycarbonate. I'll post more detailed thoughts as I get a chance to go use it more.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Yes that's why I'm getting it, even if it's not perfect (mainly only 1 custom mode, eye tracking not as good as sony's, cheap feeling, articulated screen instead of tilting screen).

There's no such thing as a perfect camera anyway, this one seems to be the best compromise for me - and a nice upgrade from my E-M10.
So far, the E-M5iii is the closest thing to the mythological perfect camera. Close but not quite there yet. I think 1cm taller body, a tilt screen & handheld hires might have been enough to claim that title. Maybe next time, eh?

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I received my MKIII on Monday and am loving it so far, it feels solid and good in the hand, I love the shutter click, it more of a solid thump than the MKII, I am pleasantly surprised that the grip is actually good enough that I am not wanting the extended grip like I did with my EM5 MKII. As far as the metal thing so far I think I will be perfectly content with polycarbonate. I'll post more detailed thoughts as I get a chance to go use it more.
I liked the official grip. Feels nice in my hands ( a better fit than the E-M1 mk II)
However, I bought it for my E-M10 and almost never used it... a few months after I bought a non-official grip with a built-in Arca L-plate, that I used for tripod shots.
It will probably be the same for the E-M5 mk III. 95% of the time I'll choose not to take the grip, for compactness.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I am pleasantly surprised that the grip is actually good enough that I am not wanting the extended grip like I did with my EM5 MKII. As far as the metal thing so far I think I will be perfectly content with polycarbonate. I'll post more detailed thoughts as I get a chance to go use it more.
That's interesting about the grip. I have an E-M10II and have wished that the grip was larger. I even bought a 3rd party grip, but like SojiOkita, I never use it because it adds bulk and weight. So it would be nice if the E-M5III is better. As far as polycarbonate, I don't have any problem with that at all - I eat it for breakfast! :laugh:

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's interesting about the grip. I have an E-M10II and have wished that the grip was larger. I even bought a 3rd party grip, but like SojiOkita, I never use it because it adds bulk and weight. So it would be nice if the E-M5III is better. As far as polycarbonate, I don't have any problem with that at all - I eat it for breakfast! :laugh:

I added the small OEM grip to my E-M10 II and never took it off. I now also have the E-M5 III and don’t feel the need for the add on grip. The 5.3 is about the same size as the 10.2 with the grip, but weighs in at about 50 grams less.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why on Earth doesn’t Olympus just call them Custom settings like the C on the dial instead of the cute MySet?

And why not have multiples C positions on the dial getting rid of Art and Scn?

They could have it so that Auto mode on the dial uses a unique rear LCD configuration for touch access JPEG-centric Art and Scn modes.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the software design and interface people have been there 25 years, have “their way” of doing things, and seniority deference in Japan and the company prevents any changes. The interface won’t change until these guys drown in a canal after drinking too much sake.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Why on Earth doesn’t Olympus just call them Custom settings like the C on the dial instead of the cute MySet?

They could have it so that Auto mode on the dial uses a unique rear LCD configuration for touch access JPEG-centric Art and Scn modes.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the software design and interface people have been there 25 years, have “their way” of doing things, and seniority deference in Japan and the company prevents any changes. The interface won’t change until these guys drown in a canal after drinking too much sake.

Whoa ...…. I think your information is way out of date, here.
Olympus stopped using the term Mysets a long time ago. I did a search of the user manuals for the E-M1 II, Pen F, and the E-M5 III and the term Myset(s) never is found. I had to go all the way back to the E-10 II before that term appears. Custom function or settings, is and has been, the term used for quite some time.

Last edited:

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
MySet is the old naming, they are now called Custom modes.

Yeah... that would have been much better, at least for me.

Here, the interface changed, for less flexibility...

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
On the E-M5 mk III, there are a few positions I know I'll never use: Auto, SCN, ART.
what!?!? You cannot assign custom modes for these positions?!?!?

I always have a P based custom myset assigned to iAuto for fast no thinking shooting the way I want (PASM or on-the-go made mysets used when I have any brainpower to spare) and now I am stuck with what Olympus thinks as optimum iAuto settings??? If so this detail is a big issue for me

Sometimes I get the feeling that the software design and interface people have been there 25 years, have “their way” of doing things, and seniority deference in Japan and the company prevents any changes.
Here, the interface changed, for less flexibility...
Given the criticality of the EM5iii model success in Olympus cameras timeline, I am sure they put in charge an even more senior figure who chose these options as they are “because it is better”.

Latest threads

Top Bottom