E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

Robin wongs review :

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m5-mark-iii-detailed-specifications-leaked/

Much welcome 20mp sensor finally. Doesn't use same battery as E-M1 II. Bummer. I would have liked if they share same battery, a perfect companion to EM1.2. I was also hoping it would get built-in flash instead of the dorky LM3 unit but alas.

Also, finally another 20MP Olympus body which is smaller than EM1 and which is not Pen-F. Since I personally didn't want pen-F, my only choices for second, smallish, 20MP body were all in Panasonic camp but now there is a legit option from Olympus which is weather sealed too.

--
Mod edit - links:
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m5-mark-iii.html

f7_keypanel-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Solid and somewhat expected upgrade...

Yeah battery from E-M1 would have been really nice to have.

Seams strange that they lowered the magnification on the EVF.

Personally i hoped for HHHR , guess they save that to E-M1 MarkIII

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I would be curious to know what the max e-shutter continuous speed is?
Mechanical shutter will always be speed limited by the mechanical shutter.

Using the same battery as the EM1-mk2 = larger camera. Just as the EM1-mk2 is larger than the EM1-mk1.
For that reason, I think Olympus cameras are not going to get larger batteries. At least not until more Olympus lenses have IS, for Sync-IS, which at least in the 12-100 draws a significant amount of power. Or Olympus develops a low current draw lens IS.
I wonder what the current draw on the Panasonic lenses are, since they have lens IS.​

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Meh - I feel like I'm back in 2016. No interest at all.....
Obviously depends on what you shoot, but it is said to support Handheld High Res, making it a compact landscape camera to easily reckon with the $3000 Z7 or A7r III.

That's where my interest in it lies.

Real shame about the downrated EVF optics and the increased $1200 price tag, though. Still cheaper than an E-M1 II, though, which doesn't have HHHR.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
Canikon? Except for sensor size...which sadly seems to be the most important factor now a days.
Only to those that have been brainwashed into thinking it matters or even makes a blind bit of difference to I.q . In this day and age I estimate around 98% of images only ever end up online ..making full frame a total waste of time ..

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Bah. The shutter switch is in the wrong place.

Better than a grip without a shutter release on it. As is the 3rd party grip for the EM10-mk2.

BUT, this raises an interesting question.
With a grip with shutter release and front dial, can the body shutter and front dial be reconfigured to another function??? ;)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Better than a grip without a shutter release on it. As is the 3rd party grip for the EM10-mk2.

With a grip with shutter release and front dial, can the body shutter and front dial be reconfigured to another function??? ;)
I would not think so. They would just parallel each other.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David

Certainly not in the case of the current E-M5 Mkii, where you basically have two shutter buttons, but the front dial on the body is not really accessible.

Latest threads

Top Bottom