E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

Olyver Mark

Mu-43 Regular
The fastest video speed at full HD resolution is 60Hz as reported under the "Video Recording Format MOV(MPEG-4AVC/H.264)" entry.

Full Specifications from Olympus

But there is an entry named "High speed movie" and it is written 120fps (1920×1080/MOV).
I did not have time to watch a lot of video review today (still at work!), but did not heard or read any comment on that feature.
Do you think it's a mistake? Why this is aside in the table? Does that mean cripple feature (i.e. no autofocus, no sound, or only small portion of the frame?)

Please point out any evidence that you can find on what could be a feature that seems to have passed under the radar (if it's not an error:doh:).

Edit from home: Just found a couple video that talk about it and the "High speed movie" is real but no autofocus and a very low 26 mbps bit rate.

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Two instinctive concerns for me:

- the plastic build. I'm a traditionalist, I'd much prefer the small weight increase required by a metal chassis and body. But I'll have to wait and see how it feels. Plastic usually doesn't make things feel premium for me. Which brings me to the next concern

- the price. Up around $2k Australian. That's a lot of money, so the thing had better damn well feel premium because it's costing well over more twice an EM10iii .

Outside of that, they seem to have built what I was asking for. Internal evf, weathersealed, best available sensor, great Ibis, USB charging, phase detect AF , most of Oly's tricks and a small body. And early reviews suggest better ergo's than the 5ii. Im not at all bothered by video specs, I don't use it anyway. A joystick would have been perfect though. So I can't complain about too much.

Last edited:

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I wish they'd get pdaf into the PEN line or EPL line. I'm still on my EPL5 as their haven't been significant sensor advances in that line.

I know it has better video and image stabilization and all that, but all I want is faster AF. I'm glad they got the sensor in the Em line.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Which is already done via the app with WiFi. This could be just a second way to communicate with your phone app, but I am wondering if BT might be for stuff like communication between pieces of equipment to control things like flashes, a dedicated GPS radio for real time geotagging, or even a mouse or keyboard.
BT uses far less battery resources than Wi-Fi.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
It’s too bad we can’t can’t use the bottom part of old battery grip with this like we could with previous transition. :(

Real Name
Paul
Not that Olympus cares about my opinion, but to me the biggest omission is the lack of an underwater housing after offering housings for the earlier M1s and M5s. The M5mkIII would be a solid choice for UW photogs- M1mkII feature set in a smaller body (which means a smaller housing). I've held off on the M1mkII for several months while the rumors percolated as I really like the M5 form factor, so I'm a little bummed. I think it will sell in decent amounts, and I'm not really disappointed in the specs (well, the lack of a battery grip and the 1/250 flash sync speed are also negatives)- it just won't work for me.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The fastest video speed at full HD resolution is 60Hz as reported under the "Video Recording Format MOV(MPEG-4AVC/H.264)" entry.

Full Specifications from Olympus

But there is an entry named "High speed movie" and it is written 120fps (1920×1080/MOV).
I did not have time to watch a lot of video review today (still at work!), but did not heard or read any comment on that feature.
Do you think it's a mistake? Why this is aside in the table? Does that mean cripple feature (i.e. no autofocus, no sound, or only small portion of the frame?)

Please point out any evidence that you can find on what could be a feature that seems to have passed under the radar (if it's not an error:doh:).
I would guess it's like the E-M1X where you, just like you suspect, you get 1080P120 but no autofocus or sound and there's a significant crop. Still useful though and I hope they bring it over to the E-M1ii.

SLOtographer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Stan
Seems like a solid travel/adventure camera or an upgrade from a earlier version. Get a weather sealed zoom, a couple primes, and you’re off. Basically all the main features of the EM1.2. It’s a good all-rounder for m43.

Real Name
Loren
It’s too bad we can’t can’t use the bottom part of old battery grip with this like we could with previous transition. :(
I think the rationale behind that is, now that there are three cameras all with the same sensor and (more or less) AF specs, consumer choice can focus on size/weight versus added feature sets. In that light, most users who would be looking to add a grip for better ergonomics and battery life on an E-M5 Mkiii would just buy an EM-1 Mkii. They probably feel a battery grip would not sell very well.

Real Name
Loren
Not that Olympus cares about my opinion, but to me the biggest omission is the lack of an underwater housing after offering housings for the earlier M1s and M5s. The M5mkIII would be a solid choice for UW photogs- M1mkII feature set in a smaller body (which means a smaller housing). I've held off on the M1mkII for several months while the rumors percolated as I really like the M5 form factor, so I'm a little bummed. I think it will sell in decent amounts, and I'm not really disappointed in the specs (well, the lack of a battery grip and the 1/250 flash sync speed are also negatives)- it just won't work for me.
There is an underwater shooting mode in the camera, so maybe a housing will come later?

I’m pretty sure all of the Olympus bodies have a 1/250 flash sync speed limit in normal modes, but they also all have HSS modes. Olympus calls it Super FP (they invented it, so they can call it whatever they want).

RLM

Mu-43 Regular
I've been shooting on a 5mki since release day, and holding on for years in the hopes of in-body charging in this body format. This announcement is everything I wanted in the Mkiii and now I can finally send my extremely abused and literally duct-taped together mki to shelf retirement. I'm stoked, I'll be shooting on this for the next half decade or more now.

I guess for those of you who have the cash to blow on a new body every year or two and "need" niche specs it's nothing fancy, I'll be grabbing it on launch day.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Seems like a solid upgrade for those wanting a smaller body compared to the flagship models - 20MP and PDAF are the standouts for me, in-body charging is nice, ergonomics look good, OLED EVF is an improvement although the lower magnification is a bit of a letdown. Personally I'd prefer a screen that just tilts vertically rather than fully-articulated, but I suppose that's a feature for people who shoot video.

I'm not in a rush to replace my GX85, but this is the leading candidate if I do upgrade in the next year or so.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Valid point, I personally never shoot videos so this whole video thing is lost on me and why companies enforce that limitation. May be there will be a hacked firmware that removes the lock, hopefully! But it is a legit concern nevertheless. Not everyone is comfortable pushing hacked f/w on their cameras.
at 237Mbps it would be a nice replacement to say the older Panasonic GH4 while still feeling more photo oriented. But the 30 minute limit negates that goal.

Pricewise (especially when there's a promo going), I'd still probably lean towards the E-M1ii (even though that too still has a 30 minute limit on video). But I do wonder if the prices may drop a little on the M1ii due to this release.

Last edited:

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
Agree 100%. How quickly people seem to forget that when DSLRs first came out, they were 8 megapixel cameras....and Pro's were publishing huge images with them, crops and all. Man oh man...people these days will find any excuse to complain about something. Appreciate something for what it is. A great camera in the hands of a capable photographer. Jeez.....! Rant over.
Something I have noticed when reading articles on forums is not many MFT users run down FF cameras BUT loads of FF users slag off MFT cameras. My thoughts are they are gutted that they spent so much money on all that heavy gear that they have to knock MFT camera gear to make themselves feel better about heir purchase.

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
Someone talk me out of upgrading my EM5-MKII to this. Please.

The primary reasons for me to upgrade would be PDAF and Pro-Capture. I am pretty happy with the image quality from the current sensor.

How much better is PDAF, really?
Get a used EM1 MK2 its a far more rugged camera has all the same features and comes with a larger battery, there’s no way I’m going to supposedly upgrade to what some YouTube reviews has called a consumer camera for the masses, look at plastic lenses over metal body lens I’ve broken an OLY 25mm f1.8 lens siting down in a chair because it was in my jacket pocket, the other reason, over half the review say that the grip makes it more usable, why buy a smaller camera and then put a larger grip on it? Just by a camera with a grip in the first place, at least battery changing (which will be far more often with that tiny battery) will be far easier. By the way I only use OLY gear so I’m not a FF user knocking MFT gear. If you have an em10 mk 2 changing to the new em5 mk3 will be an improvement but at a significantly higher price. And for all of use that have been waiting for the release of this camera for a couple of year all this tech comes from the em1 mk2 so why the hell did we have to wait so long a 20MP sensor and a firmware update, as you can tell I’m very disappointed with Olympus downgrading my favourite camera.

Real Name
Amol
Something I have noticed when reading articles on forums is not many MFT users run down FF cameras BUT loads of FF users slag off MFT cameras. My thoughts are they are gutted that they spent so much money on all that heavy gear that they have to knock MFT camera gear to make themselves feel better about heir purchase.
A lot of the FF users "upgraded" from m43/DX and hence feel the need to justify the purchase. Whether that yielded superior pictures or made them better photographers is immaterial. But if you were already on FF and then went to m43/DX you truly appreciate smaller format. I did that and I for my use m43 is as good as DX or FX. m43 is stunning and probably better than FX for macro IMO.
Anyhoo, sensor size has become a bragging point and most of the FX braggarts seem to forget there is medium format too.

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
I think it’s basically a good camera but it isn’t for me. My street and city camera is a Pen-F and my “everything else” camera is an EM1-2. So the EM5-3 doesn’t bring anything to the party for me.

If it had the colour wheel functionality and colour science of the Pen-F then maybe I’d be far more tempted for the addition of WR and PDAF over the Pen-F. Then it would sit alongside my EM1-2 and may have become the perfect street, city and travel camera for me.
Seeing reviews of this camera has made me look more at the Pen-F when you look at the specs for me a plastic body and a smaller battery are not on my wish list as my gear gets used in all kinds of situations sometimes taking a good knock, my em1 mk2 has been back to Olympus 3 times in 3 years for repair from drops, knocks and the odd accidental kick with only minimal damage, putting a plastic camera that costs over a 1000GBP is not going to happen for me.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
It looks even bulkier than the E-M1 Mk2 with the grip. No Arca Swiss rail on the grip either.
No Arca Swiss Rail is really a pitty... there will probably be some third party grips with arca swiss rails but no shutter release...
I bought the Oly grip for my E-M10 but I almost never used it... the only grip I used was because of the built-in arca swiss L-plate.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here. Personally, I won't be buying another m43 camera until we get a worthwhile improvement in sensor performance, or one of my current cameras breaks. I suspect I'm not alone amongst existing m43 users in feeling that way.
I'm using a E-M10 so there are many improvements for me.
In terms of sensor, not so much: 16 Mpix vs. 20 Mpix / no breaktrhough in dynamic range or noise, but at least, I will be able to use my P20 without banding :)
And I'm already satisfied by my E-M10 sensor performance... sure, I'd take a better sensor if there was one, but I have no real "need" for it.
Better IS, better AF, more buttons, better EVF, etc... all these things matter more to me that having a slighly better sensor.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom