E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just looked at the specs and over all I am excited about this model. Since I still use 4/3rds lenses, having the E-M5 line now have a PDAF sensor is a great upgrade. But despite all the stuff people have mentioned in this thread about the stuff they don't like, I have a couple that have not been mentioned and may have been overlooked by everyone.

Disappointment #1: In this day and age, even with adding USB charging to the camera, why the heck is this camera still USB 2.0 and using a micro-B connector? How difficult would it have been to use USB 3.0 or 3.1 and an USB-C connector in the camera?

Disappointment #2: The strap eyelets are in terrible positions. Especially the right hand one where when you are shooting, the eyelet will be digging into your hand. This is a complaint I have with my E-M1.1 and I was pleased when I saw Oly moved the right one up to the top of the body on the E-M1.2. But with the E-M5 III, they have slid it back down the side to always be where you normally grip the camera. The eyelet look even lower on the body than the E-M5.2. So I will be curious to hear how the handling is with these two spikes sticking out the sides when people start to get their hands on them in real life use.

One addition I noticed, that I am curious what it will be use for, is the addition of Bluetooth. I wonder if they have some accessories planned that might take advantage of this.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Just looked at the specs and over all I am excited about this model. Since I still use 4/3rds lenses, having the E-M5 line now have a PDAF sensor is a great upgrade. But despite all the stuff people have mentioned in this thread about the stuff they don't like, I have a couple that have not been mentioned and may have been overlooked by everyone.

Disappointment #1: In this day and age, even with adding USB charging to the camera, why the heck is this camera still USB 2.0 and using a micro-B connector? How difficult would it have been to use USB 3.0 or 3.1 and an USB-C connector in the camera?

Disappointment #2: The strap eyelets are in terrible positions. Especially the right hand one where when you are shooting, the eyelet will be digging into your hand. This is a complaint I have with my E-M1.1 and I was pleased when I saw Oly moved the right one up to the top of the body on the E-M1.2. But with the E-M5 III, they have slid it back down the side to always be where you normally grip the camera. The eyelet look even lower on the body than the E-M5.2. So I will be curious to hear how the handling is with these two spikes sticking out the sides when people start to get their hands on them in real life use.

One addition I noticed, that I am curious what it will be use for, is the addition of Bluetooth. I wonder if they have some accessories planned that might take advantage of this.
You're going to use the DSLR-sized 4/3 lenses on the E-M5 III?

And ask for Bluetooth, it's likely for Olympus' phone apps like the GPS tagging and what not.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
It does nearly everything the long time flagship E-M1ii does in a smaller package. A package considerably smaller than the G95

View attachment 780785

Maybe I'm in a minority of one, but I think the camera is pretty impressive.
Fair enough.

The proof will obviously be how it feels in the hand. Given that my wife is now (tentatively) on the same system as me for travel, I suspect that having a more useful dichotomy of ergonomics vs. size in our body choices (i.e. G95 + Yi M1 instead of something in-between like the E-M5 that may not be great at either scenario) may be more appropriate for us. But I'll need to see how the E-M5 III feels in hand, to see if the reshaped grip has managed to help Olympus with their cursed small-body ergonomics.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You're going to use the DSLR-sized 4/3 lenses on the E-M5 III?
Sure, why not? I am not one of those that has weird hangups that certain sized lenses must or must not be used with certain sized bodies. I like the body to be small when possible, but lenses are as big or small as they need to be for the design typically (there is no such thing as "dSLR sized" lenses). So if you want to use a large aperture lens or a big focal length or a combo of both of those, then you are going to be using a big lens. not much you can do about that (physics). But I am pretty sure there is no rule that says you can not use these large lenses on ANY size body, even the smallest in the lineup, you have so long as the mount fits. Anyone who complains about the "handling" of such a setup usually doesn't know how to properly hold such a setup (it is an operator problem, not a design issue) or has no interest in that lens anyway but still wants to complain about it.

And [as] for Bluetooth, it's likely for Olympus' phone apps like the GPS tagging and what not.
Which is already done via the app with WiFi. This could be just a second way to communicate with your phone app, but I am wondering if BT might be for stuff like communication between pieces of equipment to control things like flashes, a dedicated GPS radio for real time geotagging, or even a mouse or keyboard.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
Honestly, you've already got a modern high-end body. You're not going to be part of the target market for a new iterative mid-range body.

Also, the GBP price you're quoting includes a weather-sealed 14-150 vs. the body-only E-M1 II. Not at all the same thing.

It's totally fine to sit out a generation or two in the camera buying cycle.

My GX7 is 6 years old. I'll replace it when there's a product with the right qualities at the right price for me. Your E-M1 II could easily go 6 years without replacement.
This. I am still using my first-gen E-M10. It still suits my needs and probably will for a few more years.

Real Name
Amol
Nope, pretty sure we're all still being insulted with the leftover stock of a 16MP sensor that isn't even made anymore.
Yup. Saw this “since the only other option in the Olympus lineup is a 20MP sensor, which is the preserve of the flagship cameras, that's not likely to happen.”

think I’ll then stick with GM-1 for foreseeable future.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It does nearly everything the long time flagship E-M1ii does in a smaller package. A package considerably smaller than the G95

View attachment 780785

Maybe I'm in a minority of one, but I think the camera is pretty impressive.
Yes I think it is a good camera as well.
It covers what I would want as well in a nice size. But in Australia it looks to be only a few cents short of 2K, and for that price the plastic body is a bit of a let down. But I am thinking when my G85 dies this one may be a good replacement instead of the G95 for general use. By then hopefully the initial price will have come down.
I would have liked the flash socket to remain though.

I am pinning my next upgrade hopes on the next EM1 version. The only thing I would like on that would be a joy stick and the ability to back up settings to the SD card.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
First Oly camera in a long time that has my interest. Sometime next year might pick one up to replace the Gx85 as my travel camera (only use my 9-18/75-300 II when I travel), probably will keep the Gx85 with the Pany 14/GWC1 and Sigma 30 f2.8 in the car then.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
My guess it that the position of the strap mount is based on the structure inside the camera.
They need something SOLID to mount the strap lug into.

As for the strap mount digging into your hand, it depends on your hand and how you hold the camera.
I also have an EM1-mk1, and have not have any issues with the strap mount. I do not hold my hand tight to the right side of the camera. I could slide a pencil between the right side of the camera and my hand. And I have a small hand.
I tested your complaint, and I could not hold the EM-1mk1 in a way to have the strap mount dig into my hand.
So you obviously are holding your camera in a much different way than I do.

There is too much activity on the right deck for a strap to get in the way of my hand.
Personally for how I shoot, moving the strap away from the right deck, and out of the way of my hand, is better.
I gave up on top mounted straps, and now mount the right strap to the bottom AS plate.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I was "meh" with this camera when it was rumoured to have HHHR, now I'm just astonished - by how little this has moved forward from the E-M5ii. That camera was a huge step up over the E-M5, and the E-M1 (which was the flagship at the time of the E-M5ii's release):

- High res mode - first Oly camera to have it
- Better IBIS than both E-M5 and E-M1
- Much better EVF over the E-M5
- Solid metal construction and beautifully-constructed. Massive improvement over the E-M5
- Flip screen (personally not to my taste, but some would consider it a step forward)
- Full electronic shutter

What does the E-M5iii do over the E-M5ii?

- 20Mp sensor
- Smaller EVF
- Smaller battery
- Plastic construction not metal
- Another $100 on the launch price
- err - anything else?

Definitely not of any interest to me.

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a mix of USB devices (mini B, micro B, C). Micro B and type C are my most common and with those, I just use a USB-A to micro B cable with a micro B to type-C adapter on the end. USB 3 would've been nice for file xfer but I always xfer directly from the card, anyway.

I was "meh" with this camera when it was rumoured to have HHHR, now I'm just astonished - by how little this has moved forward from the E-M5ii. That camera was a huge step up over the E-M5, and the E-M1 (which was the flagship at the time of the E-M5ii's release):

- Solid metal construction and beautifully-constructed. Massive improvement over the E-M5
- Flip screen (personally not to my taste, but some would consider it a step forward)

- 20Mp sensor
- Smaller EVF
- Smaller battery
- err - anything else?

AF, including PDAF - That's a pretty big one right there.

tkbslc

Super Moderator

- 20Mp sensor
- Smaller EVF
- Smaller battery
- err - anything else?

I feel like you aren't even trying to look for positives with that list!

• Much improved sensor from E-M1 II. 25% more pixels and better high ISO vs old 16MP.
  • PDAF and new AF system
  • high end 4K video features
  • Lighter weight
  • IBIS upgrade (including Sync IS)
  • Faster burst shooting
  • pro capture
  • bluetooth and connectivity upgrades

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I feel like you aren't even trying to look for positives with that list!
Well, maybe you're right, but...
  • Much improved sensor for E-M1 II
    It's same sensor as the E-M1ii isn't it? Personally, in terms of raw file quality, it's a little better than the older 16Mp sensor, but it's not a big difference IMHO.

• PDAF and new AF system
    Ah, yes - the PDAF. Forgot about that - definitely worth having on the smaller body, but it's just a lift from the E-M1ii.

• high end 4K video features
    Has it? I've no interest in video.

• Lighter weight
    Did we need lighter weight than the old E-M5ii? Personally, I loved the weight and feel of that.

• IBIS upgrade (including Sync IS)
    Better than the E-M1ii? In any meaningful way? Oly keep saying they improve the IBIS with every camera, but recent improvements don't seem to have made an impression on reviewers.

• Faster burst shooting
    Than the E-M1ii?

• pro capture
    Again, an E-M1ii feature.

• bluetooth and connectivity upgrades
    What are these?

I'm not saying that some of these aren't of interest - but there's nothing that moves the m43 world forward at all.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom