E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Honestly, you've already got a modern high-end body. You're not going to be part of the target market for a new iterative mid-range body.
. . .

It's totally fine to sit out a generation or two in the camera buying cycle.

My GX7 is 6 years old. I'll replace it when there's a product with the right qualities at the right price for me. Your E-M1 II could easily go 6 years without replacement.
I normally skip a generation or more between cameras.
I'm not in a photo business where I NEED the latest gear, nor am I rolling in cash to be able to buy each generation of cameras.
In fact I might still be using my 6MP Nikon D70 (from 2004) if it had not died. For me, it only had only ONE failing, a relatively LOW high ISO limit of 1600. Other than that, I was perfectly happy with it, for my personal shooting.

I have the EM1-mk1 and was/am 95% satisfied with it. The only reasons I got mk2 were:
  • #1. Olympus trade up discount, brought the price down close enough that even though expensive, I could afford it.
  • Much better EVF, for fast moving sports.
  • Larger capacity battery, so I do not have to carry 6 batteries to get me through a full day of shooting, with the 12-100. And the subsequent charging of those 6 batteries at the end of the day.
For the average non-sports shooting, I would not have upgraded to the EM1-mk2, as the mk1 is perfectly adequate for my non-sports use. Enough that I have been highly tempted to get a second mk1, especially at the prices of used, low shutter count mk1s.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
The EVF change is interesting. I do wonder why they didn't go with designing new optics for the OLED panel, so that you don't take the magnification hit (IMO, this is counter to the industry trend, which has been larger/more magnified EVFs). After shooting with the M1.2 and now the Nikon Z6, I'm not certain I'd want to go with such a small magnification panel, especially when the EVF is used as much as it is (framing, image review, etc.).
I suspect that Olympus does not design their OLED or TFT displays, but buys them from other vendors. I recall reading that the original generation in the E-m5 mark 1, etc. were made by Epson.

Due to the fact that cell phones tend to buy most of the OLED displays, I imagine there are actually very few suppliers for the camera market. It may be there is only one supplier for the display Olympus uses. Note, Olympus specifically used the TFT panels with 120 fps refresh rate in the EVF for the E-m1 mark II and E-m1x cameras. The Nikon Z6 on the other hand has a refresh rate of 60 fps. In talking to various Olympus reps, one of the reasons Olympus stayed with the TFT panel over OLED is for that fast refresh rate.

The smaller battery is disappointing as well, as it'll mean reduced battery life. That's really one of the things I liked about my M1.2 coming from the M1.1 and M5.2. I understand they needed to go with a smaller battery to keep the camera size down, but this too seems to go against the industry trend of using larger or higher mAh cells to increase the number of shots per charge.
Note, the BLN-1 battery uses a slightly different chemistry than the standard li-poly cells use in most batteries (the nominal voltage is somewhat higher). It may be that the supplier of those cells is no longer making them, and Olympus needed to go back to more standard battery chemistry cells. Or it may be, Olympus is just trying to reduce the number of batteries being used from 4 to 3 (LI-92 for the TG-6, BLS-50 for the E-m10 mark III/E-m5 mark III, BLH-1 for the E-m1 mark II/E-m1x), using the common BLS-xx battery used in the E-m10.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I suspect that Olympus does not design their OLED or TFT displays, but buys them from other vendors. I recall reading that the original generation in the E-m5 mark 1, etc. were made by Epson.
This is correct, the EVFs currently used in all mirrorless camera seem to be manufactured by either Epson or Sony.

Due to the fact that cell phones tend to buy most of the OLED displays, I imagine there are actually very few suppliers for the camera market. It may be there is only one supplier for the display Olympus uses. Note, Olympus specifically used the TFT panels with 120 fps refresh rate in the EVF for the E-m1 mark II and E-m1x cameras. The Nikon Z6 on the other hand has a refresh rate of 60 fps. In talking to various Olympus reps, one of the reasons Olympus stayed with the TFT panel over OLED is for that fast refresh rate.
This may have been true when Olympus was initially taping out the E-M1X, assuming they started a really long time ago, but it hasn't been true for quite some time. The 3.69 M-dot OLED panels are capable of 120Hz and the new 5.76 M-dot panels used in the S1/A7RIV can do 240Hz. I personally think that Olympus got caught with their pants around their ankles with the EVF and have just been trying to spin it in marketing to save face. As far as the E-M5iii goes, nobody else is putting a high resolution EVF in a camera at this price, unless you count the G9 due to Panasonic slashing the price, so I don't see any issue there.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Sensor and EVF are dated on all m43 bodies. Look to a refresh of the EM1.2 AND EM1X upgrading both alongside the release of the 150-400/4.5 super-tele lens.
Despite being the first ones to introduce it, the GH5 and G9 still have class-leading EVFs.

The GFX100, A7R IV, and Panasonic S1 family all have the new 5.76 M dot EVF, but those are all newly released cameras that cost $2,500-10,000, so it's pretty easy to cut M4/3 some slack on this one. There hasn't been a single high-end M4/3 camera released in the intervening time.

I would agree that newer sensors would be nice, but the IMX270 and IMX272 in the E-M1 II and G9 are strongly competitive with the 24MP sensors in the APS-C cameras they compete with, so I'm not sure there's a huge tug for Panasonic or Olympus to spend a lot of money chasing gains here.

Almost definitely we will see the 5.76 M dot EVF and 47MP (8K) sensor debut in the GH6 some time next year, so everyone pounding on the table with spec lust will be satisfied.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Despite being the first ones to introduce it, the GH5 and G9 still have class-leading EVFs.

The GFX100, A7R IV, and Panasonic S1 family all have the new 5.76 M dot EVF, but those are all newly released cameras that cost $2,500-10,000, so it's pretty easy to cut M4/3 some slack on this one. There hasn't been a single high-end M4/3 camera released in the intervening time.

I would agree that newer sensors would be nice, but the IMX270 and IMX272 in the E-M1 II and G9 are strongly competitive with the 24MP sensors in the APS-C cameras they compete with, so I'm not sure there's a huge tug for Panasonic or Olympus to spend a lot of money chasing gains here.

Likely we will see the 5.76 M dot EVF and 47MP (8K) sensor debut in the GH6 some time next year, so everyone pounding on the table with spec lust will be satisfied.
Exactly, and basically all APS-C cameras also have dated sensors and evf's.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran

Since Panasonic/Matsushita used to develop OLED screens, I have to imagine that they probably still get favorable deals on OLEDs that Olympus may not be able to. Perhaps when they sold the foundry, it included special pricing deals from the new owners for some number of years after the sale.

It may be the Panasonic can get the newer, larger displays cheaper or more reliability than Olympus can.

While they no longer manufacture displays, it looks like they still do some research into the technology (they have been talking about transparent OLED displays that will be announced in 2020).

Pyro451

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Someone talk me out of upgrading my EM5-MKII to this. Please.

The primary reasons for me to upgrade would be PDAF and Pro-Capture. I am pretty happy with the image quality from the current sensor.

How much better is PDAF, really?

Real Name
Loren
Someone talk me out of upgrading my EM5-MKII to this. Please.

The primary reasons for me to upgrade would be PDAF and Pro-Capture. I am pretty happy with the image quality from the current sensor.

How much better is PDAF, really?
If the AF is as good as the E-M1 Mkii’s after firmware 3.0, then it leapfrogs from “arguably unusable” C-AF to “really very good,” though still short of class-leading. For general purpose, every day shooting, it will be more than enough. As for specialty shooting, I shoot a lot of wildlife, and I don’t feel like AF is a problem for Olympus anymore, at least as of this year. (I don’t need to compare it to the best Sony in order to be able to use it well). That said, for that kind of shooting, I would not prefer an E-M5 sized body, for neither ergonomics nor controls... But that’s just my preference.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
All that this new model offers for existing Oly owners is HHHR. That's nice, but it's something that can be replicated using post process stacking. It's not enough to make me go and buy one.
Am I missing something? I don't see any mention of HHHR on the press release (just the same 50MP tripod mode).

So, I guess I'm frustrated with the lack of real progress with Olympus cameras. I'd really hoped after all this time that Oly could have offered us something a bit more than this. Oh, and at £1399, it's painfully expensive. You can get the E-M5ii at close out for a quarter of that, or an E-M1ii at pretty much the same price.
Same thoughts here. It looks like a good camera, and 2 years ago I probably would have been interested, but it doesn't feel like it moves the dial much if at all.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Am I missing something? I don't see any mention of HHHR on the press release (just the same 50MP tripod mode).

Same thoughts here. It looks like a good camera, and 2 years ago I probably would have been interested, but it doesn't feel like it moves the dial much if at all.
It does not have HHHR (despite the 'promises' of the rumours).

So I must recant my original optimism for this camera.

It's "fine." No more, no less. It's Olympus' version of the G95. A thoroughly mid-range camera that could have been great, but instead is...fine. And a little bit too expensive. Which together are a bit of a kiss of death.

But honestly, it's lucky for Panasonic and Olympus that no one else is releasing any compelling mid-range cameras. (That's not sarcasm - the X-T30, A6400, Z50, etc... all have major pros and cons, and none look particularly like superb value against their M4/3 competition).

It does not have HHHR (despite the 'promises' of the rumours).

So I must recant my original optimism for this camera.

It's "fine." No more, no less. It's Olympus' version of the G95. A thoroughly mid-range camera that could have been great, but instead is...fine. And a little bit too expensive. Which together are a bit of a kiss of death.

But honestly, it's lucky for Panasonic and Olympus that no one else is releasing any compelling mid-range cameras. (That's not sarcasm - the X-T30, A6400, Z50, etc... all have major pros and cons, and none look particularly like superb value against their M4/3 competition).
It does nearly everything the long time flagship E-M1ii does in a smaller package. A package considerably smaller than the G95

FQk7uEU.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Maybe I'm in a minority of one, but I think the camera is pretty impressive.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Updated the thread title, put Wong’s review in the first post. This thing looks good. Anyone putting money down on this?
I'm seriously thinking about it due to the OLED viewfinder, though I'm slightly disappointed in the 30 minute video limit still remaining. I occasionally record live shows, and I prefer to record the whole thing and break it up into parts later, rather than trying to guess where the break will be.

Real Name
Amol
I'm seriously thinking about it due to the OLED viewfinder, though I'm slightly disappointed in the 30 minute video limit still remaining. I occasionally record live shows, and I prefer to record the whole thing and break it up into parts later, rather than trying to guess where the break will be.
Valid point, I personally never shoot videos so this whole video thing is lost on me and why companies enforce that limitation. May be there will be a hacked firmware that removes the lock, hopefully! But it is a legit concern nevertheless. Not everyone is comfortable pushing hacked f/w on their cameras.

Real Name
Ray
I think it’s basically a good camera but it isn’t for me. My street and city camera is a Pen-F and my “everything else” camera is an EM1-2. So the EM5-3 doesn’t bring anything to the party for me.

If it had the colour wheel functionality and colour science of the Pen-F then maybe I’d be far more tempted for the addition of WR and PDAF over the Pen-F. Then it would sit alongside my EM1-2 and may have become the perfect street, city and travel camera for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom