E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm sure the continuous stabilization in the 12-100 does result in less battery life, as does the continuous OIS in my PanLeica 100-400. However, the upside is that I get a stable view through the EVF, even before I half press for focus. This is not as important with the 12-100, but is a god send when trying to locate elusive critters with the lens out at 400mm.
Yup.
I use the VR/IS in my Nikon 70-200 for the same reason, to stabilize the image in the viewfinder, so that I can hold the focus point on the subject.

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
I use my old Canon RS60-E3 wired remote on both my E-M1 II and E-M5 III... works fine.
Yes, this is indeed good news. The wired remote on my E-M10 was terrible in that it fit so tightly into the camera that I had trouble pulling it out (it had one of those multi-pin tiny connectors). While trying to shoot at sunrise at the Grand Canyon a few years ago, I couldn't get it out (plus it was dark) so in frustration I just yanked the chord. Even with that, the connector stayed in the camera, but the entire plug assembly separated and left wires sticking out of the plug (still attackhed to the camera). Not so good. I had to wait till later to remove the plug with a pair of pliers!

A regular single plug like the Canon remotes have is MUCH better and at least they've always been easy to attach and remove! Yet another reason to buy an E-M5III. Soon now, just waiting for the holiday rush to subside some...

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes I hated the remote plug on my E-M10... the jack connector is much better.
The RM-UC1 plug in most Olympus cameras isn't that bad. If you want a really bad wired cable release design, you need to go back to the RM-CB1, used in the E-1, E-3, E-5, etc. Unlike the RM-UC1, the RM-CB1 had 3 pins and a little collar that you screwed into the shutter release port.

There were a lot of posts back in the E-3 era that some RM-CB1's pins would push the pins that made contact with the shutter release back into the camera and no longer make contact. I had that happen to me, but I was able to get Olympus to fix it when I sent the camera in for its extended warranty cleaning.

In addition, with the collar, it meant if there was a pull on the cable, you could break the collar and ruin the shutter release. Generally with the RM-UC1, the cable would just pull out of the socket. I had at least 2 failures with this:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was struggling to get colors I like with Lightroom - skin tones are yellowish for instance.
So I tried to transform my E-M10 Huelight profile into an E-M5 mk III oen.
There was no reason this should work well, but the result is surprisingly good with natural lighting. Colors feel really natural, much better than with Adobe Standard.
I think I'll use this as default the time Huelight releases the real profile, but I'll probably wait a little before processing my files...

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was struggling to get colors I like with Lightroom - skin tones are yellowish for instance.
So I tried to transform my E-M10 Huelight profile into an E-M5 mk III oen.
There was no reason this should work well, but the result is surprisingly good with natural lighting. Colors feel really natural, much better than with Adobe Standard.
I think I'll use this as default the time Huelight releases the real profile, but I'll probably wait a little before processing my files...
Have you tried using Olympus Workspace for your Raw conversions? Workspace will pretty much give you a converted Raw file that mirrors what you would get with the Olympus JPEG engine.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm not a big fan of Olympus Viewer :) and I tend to find Oly JPEG colors a little too yellow-ish for my taste too.
However, I just updated it and tried it on one picture (the one for which I thought something was wrong in Lightroom)

I compared to what I got in Lightroom. Oly JPEG is better (for me) than Adobe Standard or Adobe Color, however if I select the "Camera Natural" profile in Lightroom, both are very close (after lowering Lightroom contrast).
However I still prefer (a lot) what Iget with the E-M10 Huelight DCP profile.
I'll recalibrate my monitor before I draw any conclusion :)

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
Possible silver lining regarding the polycarbonate body... I wonder if the faux leather pebbling is molded into the body which would eliminate the possibility that it would peel off....

Dogbert62

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom