E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think the worst part of my first foray into FF was the heavy gear and large lenses, I found myself leaving my camera at home or in my hotel room at times because my gear was too heavy (this almost never happened with M43)
That's why I came to m43 a few years ago... I had APS gear with large lenses (17-55 f/2.8), I used it less and less, with less and less pleasure.
And that makes me stay away from large bodies & lenses (like the G9, the 12-100 f/4, or even then f/1.2 trilogy).

However, from time to time I'm still tempted by 24x36 and maybe I'll try it one day (as a second system)... but even primes are too big... I still have to find out something (in 24x36) that really suits my needs.

The E-M5 mk3 clearly corresponds to what I want to have for my main camera... it's not perfect, there will be probably some customization limitations that will irritate me from time to time, but the basically, the ergonomics are very good and the performance/size ratio is also great.

Catch22nm

Mu-43 Regular
That's why I came to m43 a few years ago... I had APS gear with large lenses (17-55 f/2.8), I used it less and less, with less and less pleasure.
And that makes me stay away from large bodies & lenses (like the G9, the 12-100 f/4, or even then f/1.2 trilogy).

However, from time to time I'm still tempted by 24x36 and maybe I'll try it one day (as a second system)... but even primes are too big... I still have to find out something (in 24x36) that really suits my needs.

The E-M5 mk3 clearly corresponds to what I want to have for my main camera... it's not perfect, there will be probably some customization limitations that will irritate me from time to time, but the basically, the ergonomics are very good and the performance/size ratio is also great.
I think if you own an EM1 MKII and you are happy with that camera it is natural to not be excited by this camera. I can tell you I am excited for the MKIII because it's what I have been waiting for. Personally the EM1 MKII is too big for my liking (If going with that large of a camera other larger formats start looking better) so other than holding one at Best Buy I've never used an EM1. Because of this the 5MK III will be a new and improved camera to me, Especially considering the AF. We'll see if the polycarbonate build bothers me once I get my hands on it. The metal thing is a double edged sword,. I do think metal feels better but it's obviously is heavier and if gear takes a tumble it means you have more force involved in possibly damaging your gear. High end Polycarbonate tends to hold up well to drops, it also doesn't retain as much heat. (I've had some overheating issues with metal bodies in Hot humid areas)

Let's put it this way, lots of people hated and made fun of Glock when they came out with a polycarbonate handgun in the 80s. It turned out to outsell nearly everything and is now heralded as one of the most reliable handguns and is used by law enforcement around the world.

Let's hope the EM5 MKII can be in camera terms Olympus's Glock. Even to a small degree.

Last edited:

Catch22nm

Mu-43 Regular
if the XT3 had same to m43 league IBIS would things be any different for you? Are the lenses that bigger and heavier?
I have to say I'd the XT3 had IBIS (that worked good) I might still be a Fuji user. Unlike sony the Fuji cameras feel nice and sturdy just like Olympus. I don't believe Fuji's weather sealing is up to Olympus standards but everything else is.

The lenses are definitely bigger and heavier. The good thing about Fuji is that everything is solid and built like a tank. The bad thing about Fuji is that everything is solid and built and weighs as much as a tank. And you have to consider this. With M43 you have so many options lens wise so if one lens at one FL is too heavy, too expensive or not to your liking you can go with an alternative. For example Fuji has nothing compared to Olympus in the telephoto range that is even remotely affordable or lightweight. With Fuji it's basically just their lenses. Some of their lenses are great but slow, or great but heavy or lack a cheaper alternative with a higher aperture. For example the Fuji 56 1.2 (85mm equivalent) was a beautiful lens and took amazing photos, the cheaper lens In that FL was not as good, the 1.2 was an old design that has never been updated, it's heavy, huge and slow to focus. Fuji showed no signs of updating it any time soon. With m43 you can go with the 45 1.8 42.5 1.7 42.5 1.2 or 45 1.2 in the 85mm equivalent range. That doesn't include the probably 10 MF alternatives in this range that are available to M43 users as well

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I have tried most of the Fuji lenses...some lenses are small, light and compact and some are big and heavy...their f2.8 zoom lenses are much bigger and heavier than Olympus f2.8 zoom lenses.

I think if you own an EM1 MKII and you are happy with that camera it is natural to not be excited by this camera.
I have a EM1.2 and love it, with the exception of adding a joystick and a top plate I don't wish for anything else. I am even happy with the "3 year old sensor" ;). Having said that I am very excited about the EM5.3 as a second body but I am still on the fence. Had Oly chosen to put in the same battery as in the EM1.2 it would be a no brainier for me, big body for big lenses, small body for small lenses. Now I have to choose.... or wait for the EM1.3 and maybe they will add a top plate and a joystick... 😒 i know, i know... first world problems. Maybe I should just go out and shoot more :)

Traceyjj

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tracey
Probably a silly question. I pre ordered a silver one from the local camera store, but when i checked the Olympus site the next day, it said they were sold out. How would i know if i will be getting mine soon?

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think if you own an EM1 MKII and you are happy with that camera it is natural to not be excited by this camera.
I only own an E-M10 (1st one) and a GM5.

We'll see if the polycarbonate build bothers me once I get my hands on it. The metal thing is a double edged sword,. I do think metal feels better but it's obviously is heavier and if gear takes a tumble it means you have more force involved in possibly damaging your gear. High end Polycarbonate tends to hold up well to drops, it also doesn't retain as much heat. (I've had some overheating issues with metal bodies in Hot humid areas
What worries me is that the look is not so good (it looks cheap, there are polycarbonate bodies that don't), especially the top part of the body that seems to be ready to come out.

That will not stop me from buying the camera, but this is clearly disappointing from a body that is sold over 1000€.
My E-M10 looks better :)

animanic

Mu-43 Rookie
I just got mine (black body + 12-40mm f2.8) and while you can definitely tell it’s made of plastic it feels well build. The only thing that looks cheap to me is the power switch but i’ll live with it. I’m pleasantly surprised by the handling with the 12-40mm. Few weeks ago I tested em1 mkii with a 12-100mm and this combination felt too heavy for its size

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
I don't mind the plastic body at all. The black one is just fine, but I think the silver one felt somewhat cheaper in my hands. It may be the surface texture on the black model which is closer to the metal body of the mk.II

I wonder if a mixed metal-plastic body has more chances of weather sealing failing in the long run vs a full metal or a full plastic one due to very different thermal expansion properties of the materials. As if after a couple of hours under the hot sun you are caught in a downpour at 30 months of ownership when the seals have some time induced loss of elasticity and the body parts contract at different speeds as they are cooled by the rain water.
Could this be a reason they did not follow the EM10ii plastic body/metal plates route? I remember someone saying he is in the polycarbonate business - could he say if this is a valid consideration?

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
One another annoyance is that the E-M5 III is not supported by Lightroom 6.x (not Olympus's fault - just the way Adobe rolls). I wonder if it will be possible to go into the binary with a hex editor and using the profile from the E-M1 II for the E-M5 III. What are people using these days for RAW with the newer m4/3 bodies?

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wonder if a mixed metal-plastic body has more chances of weather sealing failing in the long run vs a full metal or a full plastic one due to very different thermal expansion properties of the materials. As if after a couple of hours under the hot sun you are caught in a downpour at 30 months of ownership when the seals have some time induced loss of elasticity and the body parts contract at different speeds as they are cooled by the rain water.
Could this be a reason they did not follow the EM10ii plastic body/metal plates route? I remember someone saying he is in the polycarbonate business - could he say if this is a valid consideration?
Makes sense. I also saw a comment from some engineer who said that of the 2, polycarbonate would be preferred for a camera body. the ability to make tiny twists and turns in the design is greater than with metal. And the natural flex would make weather sealing a breeze - even without rubber seals.

But, all that aside, saying "OMG!! Plastic??!!" gets more attention, and we are all attention starved these days.

Another advantage of polycarbonate body is winter shooting. When the temps are sub-zero C the EM1.2 gets uncomfortable to handle for long periods of time, even in gloves. The only solution I found was to carry heat packs in my gloves. The "plastic" body should be a little better, I hope.

Real Name
Amol
One another annoyance is that the E-M5 III is not supported by Lightroom 6.x (not Olympus's fault - just the way Adobe rolls). I wonder if it will be possible to go into the binary with a hex editor and using the profile from the E-M1 II for the E-M5 III. What are people using these days for RAW with the newer m4/3 bodies?
Adobe DNG convertor for LR or I just use DXo lab 2 if I'm not in the mood for conversion.

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
Makes sense. I also saw a comment from some engineer who said that of the 2, polycarbonate would be preferred for a camera body. the ability to make tiny twists and turns in the design is greater than with metal. And the natural flex would make weather sealing a breeze - even without rubber seals.

But, all that aside, saying "OMG!! Plastic??!!" gets more attention, and we are all attention starved these days.
Another advantage of polycarbonate body is winter shooting. When the temps are sub-zero C the EM1.2 gets uncomfortable to handle for long periods of time, even in gloves. The only solution I found was to carry heat packs in my gloves. The "plastic" body should be a little better, I hope.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Pretty much.

Jokes aside. There is nothing wrong with a plasticpolycarbonate camera body.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
You don't crop your M43 images? You should try it sometime. Much of the work that I have hung in galleries is from crops, some very severe crops, of M43 frames. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I was just making the point that higher MP makes for better cropping ability. I crop M4/3 images some, but let me tell you the cropping ability from my 24MP Ricoh GR III is quite a bit better than any 16MP M4/3 sensor.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was just making the point that higher MP makes for better cropping ability. I crop M4/3 images some, but let me tell you the cropping ability from my 24MP Ricoh GR III is quite a bit better than any 16MP M4/3 sensor.
I'll let you tell me that; but you should then let me tell you that I have printed huge prints for display, but I have never (until very recently) sent my lab anything other than 3000x2000 jpgs. Whether from a Canon 5D series or a Lumix GX series - my lab produces display-worthy prints. The Italian company that did my albums (when I worked weddings) also never complained and would produce 12x18 albums (that's 18x24 full spread) of excellent quality.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom