E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

still no price for Greece,
however on their german and french online shop I see 1199 euros which is better than what I feared and not that far away than my hard cutoff limit of 1K euros - I may have an Oly future after all if it does not take too long for that 200 euros slide to occur...

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you mean Greentoe, I have never heard of them till now. I looked at their website and they seem legit. I don't know if I'd use them, however...
Greentoe is just a middleman that retailers use to get around MAP. All the sales come through normal camera retailers.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
still no price for Greece,
however on their german and french online shop I see 1199 euros which is better than what I feared and not that far away than my hard cutoff limit of 1K euros - I may have an Oly future after all if it does not take too long for that 200 euros slide to occur...
I dont live in Greece but after a quick search on google and on Olympus Greece Face book page it seams that E-M5 MarkIII is priced around 1200-1300 Euro body only.

https://www.katerelos.gr/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Olympus+OM-D+E-M5+Mark+III&fbclid=IwAR0PlaBLRI7Y3TcqKh5eHcOdKmR7_VLlJBwJWSQ777_OT1HjiEfrHhjMpiU

https://www.fotodesmos.gr/index.php?route=product/search&search=olympus om-d e-m5 mark iii

Real Name
Amol
If you mean Greentoe, I have never heard of them till now. I looked at their website and they seem legit. I don't know if I'd use them, however...
Greentoe pretty much circulates your offer among retailers and if one of them accepts it, you get your stuff delivered by that retailer. My EM1.2 came from a very well known, legit retailer whose name I cannot disclose here.

:blush:
duh, I was only looking again and again at the Olympus Europe e-shop where I got my E-PL5 back in 2014...

it now seems that they have depreciated their direct e-shop channel for sales to Greece in favor of the independent shops network that took over most of the firm sales here after the resturcturing they did back then when they ceased the old style “representative importer” agreements they had

Priced at 1250 it may not tempt me but it does not right on turn me away like if it was, say 1400 euros.
I shall be counting my pennies when time comes and the EM5iii is now not out of the race for me

no, I mean this policy of announcing a higher price at the product launch that everybody knows will be going down pretty soon or can be made “special” by anyone asking ”the right way” for a cut - I believe it belongs to another era and is now causing more problems to the target group than snatching something extra during the first months - they should have seen the iPhone story so far: if the product is THAT desirable, you can dictate a high price and keep it there for very long time - if it is “normally” desirable you should act accordingly and not mess the mood of the potential buyers, especially at the launch! - in the long run, a higher number of happy buyers at lower margins is better than fewer at higher margins even if the total sum remains the same, at least as I see it - more people also need more lenses, batteries, grips etc

Last edited:

RLM

Mu-43 Regular
Checked it out at a hands on event here in Vancouver today, really fantastic little unit. Threw the 12-40 on it and hefted it in one hand with my old MK1+12-40 in the other, insane difference in weight, mine felt close the EM1MKII. Add-on grip was nice, makes it as comfy in the hand as the EM1, but for $169 with no other benefits like an extra battery or card I don't know who TF would buy one honestly.

Dials were great and responsive. I wasn't sure how I felt about moving all dials to the right hand side after 8 years of the MK1 layout but after testing it I'm sold, being able to operate 90% of the functions with one thumb is going to be great. Low-ISO mode was dope and I can't wait to play with it more.

I mean, yeah, compared to a beat to shit MK1 it's a huge huge upgrade. Admittedly a little bit wary of cracking the polycarbonate body with how heavily I abuse my rig, and cheesed they didn't go USB-C for rapid charging (I imagine heat dissipation issues being the underlying reason) but overall this is definitely going to be a great and solid upgrade. I can't get over how light it is with the 12-40 hanging off it, and how well it sits in the hand with the deeper front indent compared to an MK1.

Stoked, put my pre-order in on the spot.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
I am very glad to listen you liked the EM5iii that much coming from the EM1i.

However, if you had the option like here these days to get the EM1ii for 50 bucks more, which one would you choose?
For me, the E-m5 mark III because of the OLED viewfinder. I am tired of having to deal with TFT LCD viewfinders while wearing polarized sunglasses (i.e. E-m5 mark I/II, E-m1 mark I/II, E-m1x).

RLM

Mu-43 Regular
I am very glad to listen you liked the EM5iii that much coming from the EM1i.

However, if you had the option like here these days to get the EM1ii for 50 bucks more, which one would you choose?
Coming from an EM5-M1, not an EM1.

I'd never buy an EM1, they're far too close to DLSR size and weight and thus entirely useless for my usage. If I wanted a rig that large and heavy I'd buy something with a full-frame sensor, not M43. The EM5-M3 delivers all the technical functionality I want out of the EM1 line with none of the fat.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
I tested the camera at the Paris Expo (among a lot of other bodies... and a lot of lenses).

The body feels much cheaper than what I thought (I think it looks cheaper than my EM10), especially the silver version.
The comparison with other bodies is a little harsh for the em5mk3... I have a hard time trying to understand this choice from Oly. Most bodies at this price level have a better feeling (stronger).

That being said, I liked the form factor (with and without the grip - I probably won't buy it but I liked the handling with it), I like all the additions compared to my E-M10.
Only thing is the small number of custom modes, even if I think I can get something usable.
The thing I miss is to be able to have a button assigned to Face priority on/off... on my E-M10, sometimes I'm shooting non-portraits and I get false face detections... I have to get to several buttons to get it off.
And when you assign the lever to get 2 different AF settings, the face priority setting is not recalled...

I've compared it to the E-M1 mk II, that I find too big and not so comfortable in my hands (in comparison, I prefer the G9 that has also 2 nice additions compared to the E-M1 mk II, a joystick and a small settings screen).

I tried to test the tracking abilities with face priority on, doesn't seem too bad but I don't know if it really works (the eye has to be in focus on the final image... I had a few misses but I don't remember exactly in which mode I made each of my tests..)

In conclusion, that's the m43 body that I like the most, and as I'm satisfied with my lens setup, there's a 99% chance I'll buy it.
However, I also tested the Sony A6x00 with eye tracking, and it's clearly a different league... really impressive (I didn't take any real pictures though, so I couldn't confirm that when the AF-spot is green on the eye, the eye is really in focus on the final picture).
There also seems to be a lot more AF points than on Oly / Panny bodies.
(I had a hard time with the ergonomics, though, I won't switch just for this eye tracking thing).

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah i will wait and make decision wich one to buy after i have handle a E-M5 MarkIII.

But i have owned polycarbonate bodys from other manufacturers before so i doubt Olympus E-M5 MarkIII feels much better than the competitors and their own current polycarbonate bodies.
Many have allready said it feels a bit plasticy and current Olympus silver polycarbonate body are not close to same finish and feel of the E-M5 MarkII magnesium alloy body.
The silver bodied E-M5 MKIII should be mentioned as a silver painted plastic bodied camera, and yes plastic does feel different to metal and I’m very disappointed that its not full metal jacket and the tech in it is many years old, why we had to wait so long for the release of the E-M5 MKIII is beyond my logical thinking, even taking into account moving the manufacturing back to japan 5 years is a long time for tech to be upgraded, but hang on its not an upgrade if its old tech with a bit of tinsel added, I wont be getting one I have an E-M1 MKII and an E-M5 MKII which have served me well and the E-M5 MKIII doesn’t add anything to what I have apart from being a bit smaller and lighter, I have never had any problems carrying my OM-D’s so will wait for the E-M1 MKIII and see if that has something new to offer.

I do hope that anyone buying the E-M5 MKIII doesn’t get buyers remorse when the E-M1 MKIII is released.

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
I think the point was that they can put that older 20MP sensor to E-M10 IV for example. To differentiate and keep price down.

It would not be the 16MP sensor that is looked down upon. People seem to love their PEN-F's as still cameras.
I was looking at getting a PEN F in January 2019 but decided to wait for the E-M5 MKIII I truly wish I had brought the PEN F and looking at the the E-M5 MKIII I might still get one Amazon have them with the 17mm f1.8 which I would like to own as well

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
I picked mine up today, have not had the opportunity to test it out properly yet, but just trying it out inside it feels like a big improvement for me, coming from an E-M5 classic, I sat out the mk II. I was only a bit disappointed of the included strap, that comes from the E-M10 mkIII, so I just used the good old strap I scavenged from the (very) old E-520 I (still) have.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
I do hope that anyone buying the E-M5 MKIII doesn’t get buyers remorse when the E-M1 MKIII is released.
For someone wanting something compact, there's almost no chance to be tempted by the E-M1 mk III.
Anyway, I would be surprised to have an E-M1 mk III soon with significant improvements, considering that the E-M1X is not so old... and is supposed to be the flagship.
I think it's much probable to have a small update (with a joystick?) or a few years to wait for it.

Real Name
Amol
when the E-M1 MKIII is released
I wonder if that is happening anytime soon. There has not been much talks about anything substantial apart from the stray rumor of 47MP sensor here and there. I would be really if they just go ahead with minor improvements on current 20MP sensor and add HHHR, additional 1/2 stop of IBIS and call it E-M1 mk III but you never know considering its Olympus 🤷‍♂️

Catch22nm

Mu-43 Regular
Check it out! I just got this from Amazon and I am super excited, sounds some of us who pre-ordered may be getting our orders a bit early!

Amazon US now shows the following:
//This item will be released on November 21, 2019. Pre-order now//

rd.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I actually switched away from M43 a few years ago when I was looking for a performance boost and decided to try Fuji first followed by a foray into Sony Full frame. I found myself always missing my EM5 MKII. I found I was missing the ability to have my camera with me at all times as I do adventure, sports, outdoor, urban exploration and some nature photography on the side.

With the Fuji (XT3) I liked the ergonomics and the lenses were nice (but heavy) but I badly missed IBIS and I did care for the XH1.

With Sony (A7III) I hated the feel of the camera and Sony support is absolutely terrible. The camera was constantly getting dings and scratches from the slightest of touches. The A7III never felt weather resistant or durable at all. I had quality control issues with Sony lenses and the support was not helpfull at all. The A7III IBIS was not great compared the the EM5 MKII. I think the worst part of my first foray into FF was the heavy gear and large lenses, I found myself leaving my camera at home or in my hotel room at times because my gear was too heavy (this almost never happened with M43) I considered the EM1 MKII many times but I just like the smaller camera bodies. My biggest issue with the EM5-MKII was auto-focus performance and this new MKIII should be improved on this front

So I am back to M43. I've read here that some EM1 MKII users are somewhat disappointed with the lack of innovation compared to the EM1 MKII. I believe there are many other people like myself who never upgraded further than the EM5 MKII. People who want something that was the same size but with better performance than the EM10-III, PenF or EM5 MKII.

My new gear list is shaping up to look like this

Main: EM5-MKIII
Secondary: DMC-GM1 - a friend of mine loves his little GM1 so I found a used one for a song, should be here tomorrow, excited to try out a Panasonic camera.
Lenses: P 12-32, PL-15, 40-150 with 1.4TC,
Next up: a 42.5 or 45mm prime (still deciding which) ,60 macro.

Mark
IG: Triangle_Craft

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom