E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
U.n.l.e.s.s. y.o.u. e.v.e.r. c.r.o.p. ™
I shoot wildlife ad infinitum ... cropping virtually every photo is just par for the course ... i have moved from canon and Nikon using both full frame and crop bodies and in all honesty I’m getting far better images with the omd1-mkii than ever before ..i Also shoot with and am friendly with some very well known u.k wildlife photographers and every time I go out I see yet another convert to olympus who has ditched there mega lenses for MFT .... remember that a pic of a small bird is still a pic of a small bird and no matter what system it’s taken on it will still need to be cropped .. the end product / photo is what counts and I have put my money where my mouth is ...

Strymon76

Mu-43 Regular
I shoot wildlife ad infinitum ... cropping virtually every photo is just par for the course ... i have moved from canon and Nikon using both full frame and crop bodies and in all honesty I’m getting far better images with the omd1-mkii than ever before ..i Also shoot with and am friendly with some very well known u.k wildlife photographers and every time I go out I see yet another convert to olympus who has ditched there mega lenses for MFT .... remember that a pic of a small bird is still a pic of a small bird and no matter what system it’s taken on it will still need to be cropped .. the end product / photo is what counts and I have put my money where my mouth is ...
Agree 100%. How quickly people seem to forget that when DSLRs first came out, they were 8 megapixel cameras....and Pro's were publishing huge images with them, crops and all. Man oh man...people these days will find any excuse to complain about something. Appreciate something for what it is. A great camera in the hands of a capable photographer. Jeez.....! Rant over.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Obviously depends on what you shoot, but it is said to support Handheld High Res, making it a compact landscape camera to easily reckon with the $3000 Z7 or A7r III.

That's where my interest in it lies.

Real shame about the downrated EVF optics and the increased $1200 price tag, though. Still cheaper than an E-M1 II, though, which doesn't have HHHR.
I guess my point is this... It's now very nearly 2020 and 9 years have elapsed since the E-M5. It's also very nearly 3 years since the E-M1ii was launched. Let's take stock:

- Sensor - same 20MP unit as in the E-M1ii. Raw performance almost indistinguishable from the sensor in the E-M5. No progress.
- Viewfinder - same as in the E-M5ii and E-M1ii. No progress.
- PDAF - yes, it now matches the E-M1ii. First PDAF in the E-M5 range. But they had to - every other manufacturer is offering PDAF in lower-end cameras now.

All that this new model offers for existing Oly owners is HHHR. That's nice, but it's something that can be replicated using post process stacking. It's not enough to make me go and buy one.

So, I guess I'm frustrated with the lack of real progress with Olympus cameras. I'd really hoped after all this time that Oly could have offered us something a bit more than this. Oh, and at £1399, it's painfully expensive. You can get the E-M5ii at close out for a quarter of that, or an E-M1ii at pretty much the same price.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Oh, and at £1399, it's painfully expensive. You can get the E-M5ii at close out for a quarter of that, or an E-M1ii at pretty much the same price.
So a camera that is essentially a em1mk2 is a smaller package that is priced in the same territory is painfully expensive????

Paul your not the only one to say this and honestly anyone who thought we would get a em1mk in a smaller package AKA em5mk3 for less money that currently street prices for a 1.2 is dreaming....

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
So a camera that is essentially a em1mk2 is a smaller package that is priced in the same territory is painfully expensive????

Paul your not the only one to say this and honestly anyone who thought we would get a em1mk in a smaller package AKA em5mk3 for less money that currently street prices for a 1.2 is dreaming....
I wonder what the E-M5 III will be with our Aussie price? Camera House had their Olympus 100 Year Anniversary weekend 20% off sale on with the E-M1 II at $1679.20 which isn't going to be that cheap too often. The usual discounted price isn't much under $2000.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Different EVF, appears to be the same panel as the Pen-F/E-M10iii but with slightly different optics. A downgrade in EVF magnification compared to the E-M5ii but an OLED panel instead of the TFT panel so a pretty significant upgrade there.

Real Name
Amol
I have a feeling this mk3 is going to be in weird spot, at least in the beginning, where it is actually more expensive than EM1.2 when Greentoe prices are considered. Won’t be too long though.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I have a feeling this mk3 is going to be in weird spot, at least in the beginning, where it is actually more expensive than EM1.2 when Greentoe prices are considered. Won’t be too long though.
The E-M5 II competed with the E-M1 (Mk I) at the time too, but the E-M1 II will still have features desirable over the E-M5 III though.

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I guess my point is this... It's now very nearly 2020 and 9 years have elapsed since the E-M5. It's also very nearly 3 years since the E-M1ii was launched. Let's take stock:

- Sensor - same 20MP unit as in the E-M1ii. Raw performance almost indistinguishable from the sensor in the E-M5. No progress.
- PDAF - yes, it now matches the E-M1ii. First PDAF in the E-M5 range. But they had to - every other manufacturer is offering PDAF in lower-end cameras now.

All that this new model offers for existing Oly owners is HHHR. That's nice, but it's something that can be replicated using post process stacking. It's not enough to make me go and buy one.

So, I guess I'm frustrated with the lack of real progress with Olympus cameras. I'd really hoped after all this time that Oly could have offered us something a bit more than this. Oh, and at £1399, it's painfully expensive. You can get the E-M5ii at close out for a quarter of that, or an E-M1ii at pretty much the same price.
$1,799 in kit with the 14-150mm II is quite high but still its in the same price range as the closest competitor with IBIS, Sony A6600 is $1800 with their 18-135mm lens.
E-M5 Mark III is $1,199 body only and Sony A6600 is $1400 body only

Sure it would have been nice with some big improvments, at the same time which other manufacures have done really big jump/improvments compared to their previous models of their APS-C cameras? Fuji seams to be the only one that have made a big jump from their previous models with their latest models X-T3 and X-T30 and they are priced really good for what they offer.

The only one that offers IBIS in their new model is Sony with their flag ship model A6600, and the bigger battery is basically the only real big news in that camera

Nikon z50 is basically old stuff, the new thing with that camera is that is Nikons first mirrorless APS-C camera.

Canons M6 markII, the big new thing in that camera is the sensor and other that its not offering anything groundbreaking

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Well, I guess I'm in the minority here. Personally, I won't be buying another m43 camera until we get a worthwhile improvement in sensor performance, or one of my current cameras breaks. I suspect I'm not alone amongst existing m43 users in feeling that way.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I'm fine with paying more for a more compact camera. The size/weight is critical to me. And it will be a huge leap forward from my E-M5mk1.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Well, I guess I'm in the minority here. Personally, I won't be buying another m43 camera until we get a worthwhile improvement in sensor performance, or one of my current cameras breaks. I suspect I'm not alone amongst existing m43 users in feeling that way.
You are probably far from alone, the are probably many users that whish the same...but using a old sensor is not unique for m43 nowadays...for how long have not the APS-C shooters had the 24mp sensor, how many camera models have we seen since that sensor where introduced?

Lets face it, it have not happend that much with the sensor technology lately, guess the exemption is the sensor in Sony A9 otherwise we more or less only have seen an increase in resolution on the FF sensors.

Surprisingly its Canon that makes the big push in resolution for APS-C sensor.

Personally i will buy it, mainly because of the AF performance.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I can understand that. I had (have) the E-30 DSLR with the first of the 12MP (Panasonic) sensor (& first with Art Filters ;) ) & I didn't entertain the idea of getting anything else with the same sensor in any of the M4/3's cameras, particularly when I couldn't have a viewfinder on a camera with a flash attached at the same time (something necessary for indoor photography with that sensor), but the 'game changer' came with the E-M5. It was the first in the style of a DSLR with the EVF inbuilt & the first with a decent upgrade in a sensor.
You're not the only one in the minority in that I won't be buying any more M4/3's cameras for a while (can't afford to) but I hope I can still add a long telephoto lens yet though (I have just added the 7-14 Pro with my wife's unexpected blessing).
Maybe next year might be your year. :drinks:

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
The 300 PRO is one of the compelling arguments for the m43 system, because there’s now much out there for any system that can deliver that amount of reach in a compact size.

About the only other lenses I can think of would be the Nikon 500/5.6 PF, and Canon 400/4 DO, both of which use fresnel lenses to reduce the size and weight of the lens. Throw them on an APS-C body like a D500 or 7D II or 90D, and you have a pretty compact and lightweight kit with tons of reach.

But yeah, if you’re shooting a 500/4 or 600/4 on a FF body, there’s a huge opportunity for weight savings by switching to M43, provided you’re you’re not primarily a dawn/dusk shooter (i.e. crappy light and relying on ISO).

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Honestly, you've already got a modern high-end body. You're not going to be part of the target market for a new iterative mid-range body.

Also, the GBP price you're quoting includes a weather-sealed 14-150 vs. the body-only E-M1 II. Not at all the same thing.

It's totally fine to sit out a generation or two in the camera buying cycle.

My GX7 is 6 years old. I'll replace it when there's a product with the right qualities at the right price for me. Your E-M1 II could easily go 6 years without replacement.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
It seems like a fine camera, as it addresses the major "weakness" of the M5.2 the sensor. The 20MP sensor in the M1.2 is really quite good, and getting C-AF will finally mean the camera can keep up with it's competition when shooting anything other than S-AF.

The EVF change is interesting. I do wonder why they didn't go with designing new optics for the OLED panel, so that you don't take the magnification hit (IMO, this is counter to the industry trend, which has been larger/more magnified EVFs). After shooting with the M1.2 and now the Nikon Z6, I'm not certain I'd want to go with such a small magnification panel, especially when the EVF is used as much as it is (framing, image review, etc.).

The smaller battery is disappointing as well, as it'll mean reduced battery life. That's really one of the things I liked about my M1.2 coming from the M1.1 and M5.2. I understand they needed to go with a smaller battery to keep the camera size down, but this too seems to go against the industry trend of using larger or higher mAh cells to increase the number of shots per charge.

Overall, it seems like a decent upgrade. The sensor and AF are big improvements. The battery life may be a let-down. The OLED EVF panel is a nice change, but I wish they would've gone with better/higher magnification optics. The weight savings is also nice, but the camera will definitely not have the solid, dense feeling of the M5.2 or M1.2.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
It's totally fine to sit out a generation or two in the camera buying cycle.

My GX7 is 6 years old. I'll replace it when there's a product with the right qualities at the right price for me. Your E-M1 II could easily go 6 years without replacement.
I think the M1.2 is one of those cameras that'll remain pretty relevant for a good while.

The flagship M1.X didn't really offer a whole lot of "improvement" of the M1.2 (AI AF modes, and HHHR). The sensor is quite good, it's on FW 3.0 which further improved the AF abilities of the camera AND finally enabled C-AF in video. The battery life is fantastic, and the ergos are top notch. If there's anything that really "dates" the camera, IMO it's the EVF, which definitely trails behind the current high-end cameras on the market. But other than that, the M1.2 is still really really good, and based on the M1.X and now the M5.3 releases, it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of new "stuff" that the M1.2 is missing.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I am a bit surprised that features like BSI have not come to mu43. One inch and FF sensors both have it. I assume that Olympus can't get someone to make one for it.
Sony will most certainly be able to produce such sensor if Olympus order one.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was also hoping it would get built-in flash instead of the dorky LM3 unit but alas.
Personally speaking, I would choose to use my GX8 with the LM3, instead of the G80 with its inbuilt flash. I even made a cheap reflector for the LM3 with some cardboard. It gives me a lot more flash control than a fixed inbuilt flash could ever deliver.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom