E-M5 mk III released at US$1199

Robin wongs review :

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m5-mark-iii-detailed-specifications-leaked/

Much welcome 20mp sensor finally. Doesn't use same battery as E-M1 II. Bummer. I would have liked if they share same battery, a perfect companion to EM1.2. I was also hoping it would get built-in flash instead of the dorky LM3 unit but alas.

Also, finally another 20MP Olympus body which is smaller than EM1 and which is not Pen-F. Since I personally didn't want pen-F, my only choices for second, smallish, 20MP body were all in Panasonic camp but now there is a legit option from Olympus which is weather sealed too.

--
Mod edit - links:
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m5-mark-iii.html

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Solid and somewhat expected upgrade...

Yeah battery from E-M1 would have been really nice to have.

Seams strange that they lowered the magnification on the EVF.

Personally i hoped for HHHR , guess they save that to E-M1 MarkIII

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would be curious to know what the max e-shutter continuous speed is?
Mechanical shutter will always be speed limited by the mechanical shutter.

Using the same battery as the EM1-mk2 = larger camera. Just as the EM1-mk2 is larger than the EM1-mk1.
For that reason, I think Olympus cameras are not going to get larger batteries. At least not until more Olympus lenses have IS, for Sync-IS, which at least in the 12-100 draws a significant amount of power. Or Olympus develops a low current draw lens IS.
I wonder what the current draw on the Panasonic lenses are, since they have lens IS.​

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Meh - I feel like I'm back in 2016. No interest at all.....
Obviously depends on what you shoot, but it is said to support Handheld High Res, making it a compact landscape camera to easily reckon with the $3000 Z7 or A7r III.

That's where my interest in it lies.

Real shame about the downrated EVF optics and the increased $1200 price tag, though. Still cheaper than an E-M1 II, though, which doesn't have HHHR.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
Canikon? Except for sensor size...which sadly seems to be the most important factor now a days.
Only to those that have been brainwashed into thinking it matters or even makes a blind bit of difference to I.q . In this day and age I estimate around 98% of images only ever end up online ..making full frame a total waste of time ..

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bah. The shutter switch is in the wrong place.
Better than a grip without a shutter release on it. As is the 3rd party grip for the EM10-mk2.

BUT, this raises an interesting question.
With a grip with shutter release and front dial, can the body shutter and front dial be reconfigured to another function??? ;)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Better than a grip without a shutter release on it. As is the 3rd party grip for the EM10-mk2.

With a grip with shutter release and front dial, can the body shutter and front dial be reconfigured to another function??? ;)
I would not think so. They would just parallel each other.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David

Certainly not in the case of the current E-M5 Mkii, where you basically have two shutter buttons, but the front dial on the body is not really accessible.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom