E-M5 mk II - why battery life is so bad?

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
When the lcd panel is turned off, my electronic viewfinder automatically comes on. I haven’t found a way off turning both off, at the same time?

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
@3dpan
I got two of those elcheapo batteries off trademe. They would go flat almost immediately and never would hold a charge. A waste of time and money. Ended up getting a wasabi from Auckland camera, and it’s just as good as the original. Half the price too.
Continuously on time with my M5ii, I suspect it would be just over an hour, approximately.
At least I got a complete refund from the NZ seller. Also, they were listed as 1600 maH but arrived as 1450 maH. Don't know what happened there.

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
When learning the settings on my E-M1.2 I would get 2-3 hours out of the battery adjusting settings taking shots looking at the results adjusting etc, etc. At my first motor sport event I got around 4000+ shots from 2 batteries using continuous shooting at 10fps, Please note this is not my normal way of shooting motorsport, I normally shoot a short burst of 2-4 shots, probably around 1200 shots in a full day is normal for this type of event. ( there are a lot of different races and action )I was simply testing the various AF settings to see which worked for me. The number of shots you get is dependant on how you need to use the camera,one of these batteries is a no-name battery that the Olympus charger would not charge to 100%, I had to buy a different charger for the two I bought.

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
When the lcd panel is turned off, my electronic viewfinder automatically comes on. I haven’t found a way off turning both off, at the same time?
In the Menu, Gear setting "I" choose EVF Auto Switch, with the latest firmware 3.2 there are 3 settings to choose from .

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
On the E-M5 II, go to Menu, Gear, J (Built-In EVF), to EVF Auto Switch, switch to ON.
Then as the folding LCD panel is closed it turns off (if you look closely as you close it you can see the display turn off). Then the EVF is also turned off until you bring your eye close to the eyepiece.
i.e. both displays are off until you either open the folding panel, or bring your eye up to the eyepiece.
Cheers,

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
Thanks, that’s where I was going wrong. Had the EVF auto switch , OFF.
Works like a charm now! :)

After using the E-M10 Mark II for over a year, I got the E-M1 Mark I for a hiking trip which uses the same batteries as the E-M5 Mark II.
I have to say I was genuinely surprised how much longer the battery lasted with the E-M1. With the M10, I generally needed two batteries for a full day of shooting.
With the E-M1, the battery was never empty at the end of the day, and I had the luxury of being able to charge everyday (which isn't guaranteed on these trips), so I never needed the spare battery I brought.

However, my usage must be different from everybody else. I felt like I was snapping pictures all the time, however, over the course of five days, I only took around 600 pictures total, with some days under 100 pictures even. That is less than most people shoot, but I hate culling and try not to take more than two pictures of the same scene.
And I turn the camera off if I feel I won't take pictures in the next 60 seconds. I can still pick it up and turn it on and it's ready really fast.

That said, I would bring a DSLR if you're really planning to go more than a few days without a charge.
A USB power bank is the alternative if insist on going with a mirrorless, as even a moderate 10,000mAh model could allow you to charge your battery around 8 times in theory, probably at least 5 times in practice.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
After using the E-M10 Mark II for over a year, I got the E-M1 Mark I for a hiking trip which uses the same batteries as the E-M5 Mark II.
I have to say I was genuinely surprised how much longer the battery lasted with the E-M1. With the M10, I generally needed two batteries for a full day of shooting.
With the E-M1, the battery was never empty at the end of the day, and I had the luxury of being able to charge everyday (which isn't guaranteed on these trips), so I never needed the spare battery I brought.

However, my usage must be different from everybody else. I felt like I was snapping pictures all the time, however, over the course of five days, I only took around 600 pictures total, with some days under 100 pictures even. That is less than most people shoot, but I hate culling and try not to take more than two pictures of the same scene.
And I turn the camera off if I feel I won't take pictures in the next 60 seconds. I can still pick it up and turn it on and it's ready really fast.
Usage style determines battery life.
On vacation, my EM1-mk1 battery would last about 4 hours. But that was in use, continuously on.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When learning the settings on my E-M1.2 I would get 2-3 hours out of the battery adjusting settings taking shots looking at the results adjusting etc, etc. At my first motor sport event I got around 4000+ shots from 2 batteries using continuous shooting at 10fps, Please note this is not my normal way of shooting motorsport, I normally shoot a short burst of 2-4 shots, probably around 1200 shots in a full day is normal for this type of event. ( there are a lot of different races and action )I was simply testing the various AF settings to see which worked for me. The number of shots you get is dependant on how you need to use the camera,one of these batteries is a no-name battery that the Olympus charger would not charge to 100%, I had to buy a different charger for the two I bought.
Yes, battery life is more dependent on power ON time, and seems almost independent of number of shots.
With my EM1-mk2, I shot over 1,000 frames at a tennis match within 2 hours. But at a basketball game, I was at less than 500, when I had to change batteries, at about 3-1/2 hours.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've just started playing with my new E-M5 mk II camera and noticed that the battery discharges very quickly - after few hours the battery icon informs that it's almost empty! What was done during that time? Looking at menu options, some adjustmemts, not so many photos with some image processing. And some photos with the flash.
I used 2 batteries with the same effect - an original one and a Duracel.
Is the camera broken for some reason or is it normal?
The main purpose for buying that camera was to take it for a two-week trip to some remote areas where charging battery is not an option...
sigh
Another case of the OP putting up a post (on Jan 3), then disappearing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom