E-M5 mk II - why battery life is so bad?

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Extra batteries or upgrade to EM1.2 ;) I am stunned how long the battery lasts on EM1.2.
I read this thread, thinking it was about the E-M1.2, rather than the E-M5.2 — thinking, "really?"

On my E-M1.2, I rarely look at the LCD, and have all the appropriate settings set for longest battery life. I shot a two-day conference, 8+ hours a day, and thousands of photos (RAW + JPEG-low), on just two batteries that way.

Yes, I'm in the habit of flicking the power off, then back on, when I haven't been shooting for a while, because I have it set to power-down in the shortest possible time. This can occasionally be irritating, but mostly, I'm either shooting, or not, so a short power-down time works well for me.

To me, battery life is a non-issue on the E-M1.2.

Seriously $130.00 NZ, those batteries BLN-1 from Olympus sold by B&H Photo are $44.95 USD, that converts to 67.43 NZD. You need to find another source for your batteries.
I thought $85 Aus was too much.
Non proprietary ones are $23.24, but then need a battery charger.

Last edited:
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
lwould never use an alternative battery whilst under camera warranty. Be the first reason to void a claim.
Things are different in NZ, I guess.

Such behaviour is not legal in the US, since Xerox lost a lawsuit against third-party copy-machine toner suppliers, way back in the 80s or so.

Now, if they can prove that a defective third-party battery killed the camera, that would be another thing, but simply using one will not void your warranty in the US.

Such behaviour is not legal in the US, since Xerox lost a lawsuit against third-party copy-machine toner suppliers, way back in the 80s or so.

Now, if they can prove that a defective third-party battery killed the camera, that would be another thing, but simply using one will not void your warranty in the US.
Ha. Got caught out LOL
I'd summised that so deleted that part.

OEM batteries are just too overpriced.
Try surveying gear! Wicked.

Real Name
M@

The Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act.... unless they can prove the 3rd party component caused damage, they have to honor their warranty. Of course, only on the original components.

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
A few hrs is good.
My M5ii runs a full battery flat in less than 1hr. Way less.
Once the Battery icon starts flashing, probably only 5mins of time left.
I find once I really start making it work, taking my time to get the compositions right, focus stacking couple of hundred shots and writing that lot to the card, checking I got things right as good as I can, playing around with the various modes, etc, that I’m getting only half a dozen pics per charge...
I can get by with two batteries, but I would like more.
At $130NZ dollars each! that ain’t gonna happen anytime soon...
OMG!!! What is the exchange rate to US dollars? Even at 2:1, I could by 6 for that much money! Wasabi batteries that is, OEM maybe 2. Your exchange rate must be terrible.

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Another answer for the OP is a solar charger. I've got a small one, about the size of an iPhone. It's not fast, BUT, if I can leave it out in the sun, it will charge a battery in one day. That would for sure cut down on the number of batteries that you need.

OOPS saw someone else suggested that. I guess it doesn't hurt to support him!!

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
$134NZ. Just checked.
Just a pricing update especially for down-under E-M5 users.
eBay now listing BLN-1 clones for about $10US including postage, and original Oly BLN-1 for about $25 US including postage.
I just ordered an original BLN-1 (date code 2019-05 VA), cost was $47.76 NZ including postage and taxes.
Cheers,

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
I've just started playing with my new E-M5 mk II camera and noticed that the battery discharges very quickly - after few hours the battery icon informs that it's almost empty!

I'd hazard a guess that your battery warning is set up wrong and that you likely still have plenty of battery left. I use both Olly and 3rd party batteries and never have a problem with any of them on any of my olly cameras. I don't chimp as I know what I should be getting by looking through the viewfinder when I take the shot and I rarely use the menu as I nearly always shoot RAW single shot/single focus point AV. I also don't have the viewfinder set to eye recognition but have it set permanently there. If I do need the menu, I can see it through the viewfinder. I always get more than 200 shots per camera and I can't remember the last time I changed a battery other than after getting home from a shoot.

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
A couple of weeks ago I bought two BLN-1 clones from a NZ seller (at that time there were no clones listed by Chinese sellers, so I bought locally).
I set up my E-M5 II for time lapse shooting, and got nine 60 second frames before the camera shut down - flat battery. Prior to shooting I had spent a few minutes setting framing and focus, otherwise the battery was fully charged, on an original Olympus charger.
The second battery gave me a similar result.
The seller is giving me a total refund, assuming faulty batteries.
Just for comparison, another BLN-1 clone that I bought three years ago was still going after 20 minutes of time lapse shooting.
All shooting done with the control panel folded shut ie display off.

I assume time lapse shooting has a high current drain on the battery.
Anyone else with that experience ?

Real Name
M@
Was the rear LCD active?

It was a long time ago I did a timelapse on my 5MkII, but I had the battery grip with a second battery in it. I don't recall how long I did the timelapse for, or if it killed the battery in the process.

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Was the rear LCD active?

It was a long time ago I did a timelapse on my 5MkII, but I had the battery grip with a second battery in it. I don't recall how long I did the timelapse for, or if it killed the battery in the process.
The fold-out panel was closed, I presume that means off, non-active.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The fold-out panel was closed, I presume that means off, non-active.
Not necessarily. I recall testing my G85, and I was surprised that when I turned the display panel inside facing the camera, that the power used wasn't that much better than the normal shooting. I can only imagine that turning the display inside doesn't really turn off the display (at least in the G85).

Hmmm, now that I have the E-m5 mark III, I probably should break out the dummy battery and voltage meter, and measure how much power it takes for different things.

But one thing to consider with the E-m1 mark I, E-m5 mark I/II, and Pen-F cameras is the fact that the BLN-1 battery from Olympus has a slightly higher nominal voltage than the common 2 cell li-on battery. I suspect the camera's battery warning is tuned towards that higher nominal voltage and if you put in a clone BLN-1 battery, it likely has the normal li-on 2 cell battery, and so the camera thinks it is emptier than it is. I don't recall the numbers, but with one of my battery setups, I can vary the voltage by 0.5 volts, and the G85/E-m10 mark II (both using standard 2 cell li-on batteries) could run at a slightly lower voltage than the E-m1 mark I/E-m5 mark I cameras with the BLN-1 battery.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
@3dpan
I got two of those elcheapo batteries off trademe. They would go flat almost immediately and never would hold a charge. A waste of time and money. Ended up getting a wasabi from Auckland camera, and it’s just as good as the original. Half the price too.
Continuously on time with my M5ii, I suspect it would be just over an hour, approximately.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom