E-M5 Mk.II "hi-res mode" unavailable

jk4u59

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan Dalmonte
Hi guys,

I need some help: I forgot how to enable the "hi-res mode" feature on my E-M5 Mk.II camera. Of course I tried to follow the user's manual, but when I press the OK button in the Shooting menu 2 to turn it On, this setting always remains turned to "Off". The manual also says to "turn the front dial until the 'sequential shooting/self timer' icon appears", but I can't see it. Actually, I don't remember what step must be done first: enable the hi-res shot in the Shooting menu, then select the Shutter mode in the Super Control Panel and enable it using the front dial, or just the opposite?

Now, my camera works, I successfully made an high res shot just some time ago. Only, I fear I've stepped into an incompatibility with some other feature that, when enabled, prevents the "hi-res mode" to be turned on. Yes, but... which one? The manual states that "Keystone comp." is just one of these, but in my menu it's already turned Off.

Any hints? Thanks in advance!
Ivan (Milan, Italy)

Hi-Res mode unavailable.jpg

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
The manual says "High Res Shot is available in modes P, S, A, and M". You should set this FIRST, presumably using the mode dial. That's a good start. Also, you should use shooting menu 2 (in the MENU, not the Super control panel) to turn on Hi-res mode (by setting a timer interval, which activates it). Then the hi-res mode should appear in the shutter modes (along with burst mode, etc).

Last edited:

jk4u59

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan Dalmonte
BINGO! (I'd never thought it was this reason!)

I switched to M(anual) mode, and the hi-res mode turned on immediately! Only, the previous mode was A(perture), that according with your answer should be one of the valid ones.
But now that I know it works, and why(!), I'll do some more accurate testing.

Thanks very much!

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
BINGO! (I'd never thought it was this reason!)

I switched to M(anual) mode, and the hi-res mode turned on immediately! Only, the previous mode was A(perture), that according with your answer should be one of the valid ones.
But now that I know it works, and why(!), I'll do some more accurate testing.

Thanks very much!
Glad that helped. I myself use hi-res mode on an E-M5.3 with A mode ( I haven't used it with M mode), so you need to do some more digging on your camera's settings, I guess. You might even consider resetting the camera's setting completely (more menu digging! ;) ).

jk4u59

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan Dalmonte
I hope I don't have to reset the camera! Actually, to perform high resolution shots I just choosed another way, that is to say I just bought a Sigma dp1 quattro camera, equipped with a 20MP APS-C Foveon sensor, that outputs huge images 50MB each, namely equivalent to 39MP pics taken with a standard Bayer sensor.
I was just trying to test its high picture definition by shooting the same subject from the same point (the city skyline seen from my window) using my best Zuiko lens (the 12-45mm f/4 PRO) at the same equivalent focal lenght of the Sigma's (the dp1 model has a fixed 19mm lens, equivalent to 28mm in full-frame format, so I set the zoom to 14mm)

The main purpose was to compare the following three pictures:
  1. a standard picture with Olympus E-M5 Mk.II
  2. an hi-res mode picture, again using the same Olympus/Zuiko gear
  3. a dp1 shot using the dp1 with Foveon
...but I stuck into this hi-res shit issue. I think I'll repeat the test soon, now!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom